Hiding Cursor while typing in Pale Moon? Topic is solved

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
Thehandyman1957

Hiding Cursor while typing in Pale Moon?

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2016-04-12, 04:24

Hello all, I am running XP Pro Sp3 and have the option clicked to "hide cursor while typing"

I noticed that this works fine in most XP related things but does not work in Pale Moon.

This gets very annoying as I play in a game room with chat and every time I try to type something the darned cursor is in my way, making it impossible to see what the first few letters are. I'm not the worlds best speller and this gets to be tedious having to stop typing and move the cursor a 1/2 inch just so I can type two words.

Is there a way to make this work in Pale Moon? :think:

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Hiding Cursor while typing in Pale Moon?

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-04-12, 05:48

What does changing to "true" the preference "ui.use_activity_cursor" that is set to "false" by default do?
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2016-04-12, 10:38

Previous discussion regarding this topic: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7310&hilit=%27hide+cursor%27
Pale Moon Rising wrote:What does changing to "true" the preference "ui.use_activity_cursor" that is set to "false" by default do?
I'm not sure what that setting does, but it doesn't seem to have an impact on displaying the mouse pointer while typing in windows. Tnx for the suggestion.

Later...: I found this free utility that seems to do the trick in Windows, you may want to give it a try.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2016-04-12, 19:33

x-15a2 wrote:Previous discussion regarding this topic: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7310&hilit=%27hide+cursor%27
Pale Moon Rising wrote:What does changing to "true" the preference "ui.use_activity_cursor" that is set to "false" by default do?
I'm not sure what that setting does, but it doesn't seem to have an impact on displaying the mouse pointer while typing in windows. Tnx for the suggestion.

Later...: I found this free utility that seems to do the trick in Windows, you may want to give it a try.
:thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: Thank you sooo much x-15a2, That program worked perfectly. I just used Autohotkey and copied the script from his Github page and bam :mrgreen:

Works perfect. Just what I needed. I spent an hour or two looking for something like this online last night to no avail. You rock. :clap:

It works so well that I did not even realize till I had finished this post that my cursor was not there. :lol:

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2016-04-12, 22:19

I'm glad that it works well for you. I no longer use AutoHotKey, so I just use the executable that the dev provided, but either way it's great for those of use that want the Hide Cursor While Typing to work in all program.
Last edited by x-15a2 on 2016-04-13, 02:22, edited 1 time in total.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2016-04-12, 22:39

x-15a2 wrote:I glad that it works well for you. I no longer use AutoHotKey, so I just use the executable that the dev provided, but either way it's great for those of use that want the Hide Cursor While Typing to work in all program.
I tried the executable but it said it was not a valid win32 application. What operating system are you using? I am using XP Pro Sp3.

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2016-04-13, 01:04

Thehandyman1957 wrote:What operating system are you using?
I ran it on Win 7, 8.1 and 10, but since it was written and compiled using AutoHotKey, I'd be surprised if it wasn't compatible with XP. That error sounds more like a download error\corruption, you might want to try again, mine is 1,181,184 bytes. If that's not it, you might try running it in compatibility mode.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2016-04-13, 02:17

x-15a2 wrote:
Thehandyman1957 wrote:What operating system are you using?
I ran it on Win 7, 8.1 and 10, but since it was written and compiled using AutoHotKey, I'd be surprised if it wasn't compatible with XP. That error sounds more like a download error\corruption, you might want to try again, mine is 1,181,184 bytes. If that's not it, you might try running it in compatibility mode.
Well at this point I don't think it matters since I got it working. Thank you again. :thumbup: