Windows XP Pro SP3 32b: Palemoon 26.1.1 crash/fails silently

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
broadcast_guy

Windows XP Pro SP3 32b: Palemoon 26.1.1 crash/fails silently

Unread post by broadcast_guy » 2016-04-03, 21:52

I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this with the newest release of Pale Moon. I am a new user, first time, i downloaded and tried both the atom/XP install version as well as the XP portable version (26.1.1), neither sucessfully run. The instal version upon execution immediately results in a "palemon.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" (Dr Watson). The portable version very briefly flashes the pale moon splash graphic, then fails silently. (i can't actually read the graphic it goes past so fast).

I used the forum search, and the only similar incidence was a user who tracked the problem to a file compression issue with the portable versoin only.

I'm having the problem with both.

Has anyone experienced anything similar with this version and more importantly, have you figured out a fix?

Thank you

Mercury

Re: Windows XP Pro SP3 32b: Palemoon 26.1.1 crash/fails silently

Unread post by Mercury » 2016-04-06, 01:47

Please provide some more information about your computer. If it's very old, you may have luck with the SSE build of Pale Moon.

You should also post the entire error message, with as much detail as you can capture.

Vultural
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: Windows XP Pro SP3 32b: Palemoon 26.1.1 crash/fails silently

Unread post by Vultural » 2016-04-06, 15:02

broadcast_guy wrote: ... Has anyone experienced anything similar with this version and more importantly, have you figured out a fix?
My wife's 12 year old lap still runs on XP.
The Pale Moon that works best for her unit is 25.8.1.
Periodically, I install and test the latest version for her, but it always crashes.
I could send a report, but I know, in her instance, the cause is IDM and she will not give that up.
Good luck.
The community will try to help you if you provide the info requested.