Cnn videos won't play Topic is solved

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
jbclem

Cnn videos won't play

Unread post by jbclem » 2016-03-02, 09:37

I'm using Atom/WinXP 26.1.1 and when I try to play a CNN video I'm getting a error message on the screen: video format or MIME type is not supported. I can run Firefox 25 and the same video plays with no problem.

Is this a problem with a solution?

John

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Cnn videos won't play

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-03-02, 10:17

Link us.. However, I have a feeling it is because it is in MP4 and MP4 video decoding and support relies on Windows Media Foundation which Windows XP doesn't have.

Additionally and for the 10th time this <arbitrary time period />.. Pale Moon is not Firefox and never will be again.

However, I will be able to get you a definitive answer once I get a link to the offending video.

jbclem

Unread post by jbclem » 2016-03-02, 10:33

This isn't the one that I had the problem with earlier, but I have the same problem with this and with others. And I remember watching this one a week ago and it worked...although I can't swear it was on CNN.com.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2016/02/25 ... -the-deep/

Here's another one...first commercial played normally, then the video wouldn't, with the same error message.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/justice/2015/ ... roversies/

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-03-02, 11:24

It's MP4 video. It must be noted though the site has a fallback to a flash player.. So if you install flash it should play. But yeah, without flash you will not be able to view this video in Pale Moon due to the lack of Windows Media Foundation in Windows XP.

jbclem

Unread post by jbclem » 2016-03-04, 11:39

I had Adobe Flash installed on my computer and I updated it but it didn't make any difference. Then I found a Shockwave Flash plug-in that I had disabled, and when I enabled it the CNN videos were playable again. So all's well for the moment, thanks for the suggestion.

John