Palemoon 26.1.0 Atom/WinXP Youtube Trouble

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
tigorrr

Palemoon 26.1.0 Atom/WinXP Youtube Trouble

Unread post by tigorrr » 2016-02-21, 13:30

By default option "general.useragent.override.youtube.com" have value 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:38.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/2.0 Firefox/38.9 PaleMoon/26.0'
As result Youtube detect browser as HTML5 Video compatible and switch to HTML5 player only, but available resolution maximum 360p, other don't available. To override restrictions Google require to install Chrome and/or Win7+.
Users on WinXP don't need this restrictions and HTML5 on Youtube because flash is faster on old hardware.
I test random values for option "general.useragent.override.youtube.com" to override restrictions and find the best value is 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:31.9) Gecko/20151126 Firefox/31.9 PaleMoon/26.0'
Youtube detect client by version and engine. If we set higher version and/or engine (by example - Goanna/2.0) in useragent - Youtube switch to HTML5 Video.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Palemoon 26.1.0 Atom/WinXP Youtube Trouble

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-02-21, 14:12

However, that UA will throw an error that "your browser is no longer supported" (and will do so every time if you clear your cookies).

So, our current dilemma is:
  • With "Goanna" in the UA, it will force HTML5 (thinks mobile?)
  • Without Firefox tag in it, it will force HTML5 (assumes unknown = mobile?) and restricts features
  • With Firefox in the UA, with a low number, it will offer flash BUT show a nag screen "no longer supported"
  • With Firefox in the UA, with a higher number, it will force HTML5
There is no single choice here that satisfies all Youtube's checks.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-02-21, 14:19

Keep in mind that it is Google's intention to end Flash completely.. So I see the flash player and scripting that would allow this trickery to get the flash player to vanish one day.

tigorrr

Unread post by tigorrr » 2016-02-21, 14:42

Moonchild wrote:However, that UA will throw an error that "your browser is no longer supported" (and will do so every time if you clear your cookies).

So, our current dilemma is:
  • With "Goanna" in the UA, it will force HTML5 (thinks mobile?)
  • Without Firefox tag in it, it will force HTML5 (assumes unknown = mobile?) and restricts features
  • With Firefox in the UA, with a low number, it will offer flash BUT show a nag screen "no longer supported"
  • With Firefox in the UA, with a higher number, it will force HTML5
There is no single choice here that satisfies all Youtube's checks.
With UA 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:31.9) Gecko/20151126 Firefox/31.9 PaleMoon/26.0' Youtube offer flash and doesn't show a nag screen "no longer supported".

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-02-21, 14:43

tigorrr wrote:With UA 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:31.9) Gecko/20151126 Firefox/31.9 PaleMoon/26.0' Youtube doesn't show a nag screen
Yes it does, unless you've already dismissed it once (and a cookie has been set in that case -- hideBrowserUpgradeBox).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

tigorrr

Unread post by tigorrr » 2016-02-21, 14:58

Matt A Tobin wrote:Keep in mind that it is Google's intention to end Flash completely.. So I see the flash player and scripting that would allow this trickery to get the flash player to vanish one day.
Flash dies for last ~10 years. Until HTML5 Video still slow and glitchy - Flash will stay alive. Old hardware doesn't have required perfomance to show HTML 5 Video. Youtube lost part of visitors if disable flash. I can't predict what will happen tomorrow. But today trickery is needed.

tigorrr

Unread post by tigorrr » 2016-02-21, 15:03

Moonchild wrote:
tigorrr wrote:With UA 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:31.9) Gecko/20151126 Firefox/31.9 PaleMoon/26.0' Youtube doesn't show a nag screen
Yes it does, unless you've already dismissed it once (and a cookie has been set in that case -- hideBrowserUpgradeBox).
I'm sorry, you right. On Palemoon 25+ Youtube also show this screen, not big problem because Flash is remained working.

New solution: UA 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; WOW64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20151126 Firefox/42.0 PaleMoon/26.0' work fine without nag screen.
Last edited by tigorrr on 2016-02-21, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-02-21, 15:21

...but no Flash with faking Firefox 42.

tigorrr

Unread post by tigorrr » 2016-02-21, 15:23

Moonchild wrote:...but no Flash with faking Firefox 42.
Flash working fine with fake 42 firefox only if UA have Windows NT 5.1, not 6.1
With 6.1 no flash.
If we write Windows NT 6.1 it say we use Win7 which support h264 html5 video.
Last edited by tigorrr on 2016-02-21, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-02-21, 15:26

Aha!

Thanks for the research.

tigorrr

Unread post by tigorrr » 2016-02-21, 15:34

Moonchild wrote:Aha!

Thanks for the research.
Thanks for fast answers :)
All "general.useragent.override" options must contain "Windows NT 5.1" on Palemoon for WinXP because "Windows NT 6.1" is Win7, and XP doesn't have required functionality.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-02-21, 15:50

Yes, I'm aware of that, but you have to understand that XP compatibility is not a prime reason for the Atom version to exist.

tigorrr

Unread post by tigorrr » 2016-02-21, 18:20

Moonchild wrote:Yes, I'm aware of that, but you have to understand that XP compatibility is not a prime reason for the Atom version to exist.
I have fast PC but use WinXP and Atom version is what I need. UA overriding with value "Windows NT 5.1" don't broke functionality on Win7+ and Atom. I don't seen situations where HTML 5 Video beat the Flash in perfomance esp. in full hd and 4k on slow hardware like Atom. On my laptop with Win7 I also prefer to use Flash instead HTML5 on Youtube and other video services. I don't want to Palemoon turned into Chrome which dictated what I can use, and what can't. Thank you for your work ;)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-02-21, 19:38

Other overrides aren't in place for Flash vs HTML5 video -- that's just YouTube dictating this. We're lucky they actually cater to Windows XP this way.

tigorrr

Unread post by tigorrr » 2016-02-22, 11:20

Moonchild wrote:Other overrides aren't in place for Flash vs HTML5 video -- that's just YouTube dictating this. We're lucky they actually cater to Windows XP this way.
You right. Other overrides can be incompatible if Palemoon provided Win7 UA on old system with XP. Fake OS UA is incorrect imho.
Overriding sites are incompatible with WinXP UA?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-02-22, 12:00

The OS entry in UA overrides are usually completely irrelevant (but an entry for OS is still expected to be present).
This cannot be changed at run-time in the browser. If you insist that it matches your OS, then you have to change the overrides yourself.

Frank Winkhorst

Unread post by Frank Winkhorst » 2016-02-27, 21:02

Firefox has an add-on called: "YouTube Flash Video Player" that allows you to set the default player to "Flash Video Player." This allows videos to play at all available resolutions. Sometimes there is an error message, but, in that case, reloading the page will allow the video to play.

Frank Winkhorst

Unread post by Frank Winkhorst » 2016-04-07, 11:29

I just noticed that installing the Pot Player from Daum and using that as the default Flash player in Pale Moon appears to eliminate the need to sometimes refresh the YouTube video to get it to run in Flash mode. I'm sure Google will find some way to mess this up, but for now, it's quite nice.

Update, April 8: I have had one instance where the video didn't load without refreshing. Overall, still excellent response.