Tab on top - clickable area no longer extends to top of screen

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
Dwedit

Tab on top - clickable area no longer extends to top of screen

Unread post by Dwedit » 2016-02-04, 22:28

In the previous version of Pale Moon, the tabs on top were clickable all the way at the top of the screen. But in the new version, there is now a thin sliver of the title bar. Is there any way to get rid of that thin title bar and make the tab extend all the way to the top?

dark_moon

Re: Tab on top - clickable area no longer extends to top of screen

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-02-04, 22:59

Can you please make a screenshot?

Dwedit

Unread post by Dwedit » 2016-02-05, 00:17

Sure.

Firefox 17, Maximized with Tabs on top. You can click the top pixel of the screen, and it counts as you clicking on the tab.
Palemoon 25 acted like this version of Firefox.

Palemoon 26, Maxmized with Tabs on top. There is a thin blue sliver above the tabs which is treated as part of the title bar. You can double click it to un-maximize the window, etc. If you click on the top pixel of the screen, it is not treated as clicking on part of the tab.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-02-05, 01:32

I would argue that is good.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-02-05, 04:49

Matt A Tobin wrote:I would argue that is good.
No, actually, that is not good.

If you want to stick with Fitts' Law, then the clickable area should extend to the screen edge. It also normally does (we've made sure to have the proper metrics for that in normal situations) so the question becomes: why is the title bar larger in your case? Your AppMenu button is also enlarged compared to normal.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Dwedit

Unread post by Dwedit » 2016-02-05, 05:35

I also reproduced the problem on a fresh profile, just by turning off the menu bar and turning on Tabs on Top. So it's not some obscure setting of Palemoon doing this or anything.

Also confirming the top pixel will successfully click on tabs if the Windows Title Bar height is set to 23 pixels or less, but the default title bar height is 25 pixels.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-02-05, 06:46

On which operating system is this, and did you change the titlebar height in your system settings to anything but the default?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Dwedit

Unread post by Dwedit » 2016-02-05, 16:21

The OS is Windows XP, this issue happened on the default settings for the XP theme, and the default settings for the Royale theme. Those themes have a title bar height of 25px by default. If I reduced the title bar height down to 23px, then the tabs reach the top of the screen.
The default settings for the "Classic" theme use a title bar height of 18px, so it doesn't have the problem by default. If I raised the title bar height up to 24px, I got the issue.

I also tested it on Windows 10, and Windows 10 doesn't seem to use the rounded tabs at all. Instead they extend to the top of the screen regardless of the title bar height.

saphta

Unread post by saphta » 2016-04-19, 01:17

A little off topic...I cant make tabs to show on the blue line (PM 26.2.1 x64 on Win7SP1 x64). I've checked tabs on top:
It won't show next to Palemoon blue button. Any ideas?