Netflix Feb 2016

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
bloodsong

Netflix Feb 2016

Unread post by bloodsong » 2016-02-01, 23:32

i tried to stream on netflix today, and it's giving me this:
Supported Browsers:

Google Chrome version 37 or later on Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later and Mac OS X 10.6 or later (Snow Leopard)
this is going on whether i have 'firefox compatibility mode toggled on or off.

this is my netflix useragent thingy:
general.useragent.override.netflix.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:25.7) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.9 PaleMoon/25.7

is netflix trying to tell me they ONLY support chrome for xp machines? i am NOT sticking chrome on here again! that thing fubar'd my system and i could NOT get it off without a system restore!!

do i need a new useragent spoof-thing whatever that is? :(

and i need to punch netflix in the face with that 'you're using a sucky and WRONG useragent sniffing routine' speech too, right? is this the same thing?

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Netflix Feb 2016

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2016-02-02, 01:13

Please see here: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10904 and read both of these statements from MC:
Moonchild wrote:Netflix applies some discriminatory practices (they detect Pale Moon as Pale Moon, but don't serve us movies when they do). A workaround will be in place in 26.0.1
Moonchild wrote:I've found that contacting Netflix support doesn't really seem to help. The people you talk to are understanding and want to help, and nothing but kudos for them, but when it comes down to it, the people who actually need to do something about this are extremely reluctant to actually cater to us or any other browser that isn't doing it "their way". I even got lied to my face when the CSR relayed that the tech department said they were "working with us to solve these issues" at which point I actually revealed who they were talking to, and that no, they were NOT working with anyone in the Pale Moon project because I would definitely know.

A written postal letter to their corporate office was also never responded to. Yes, I went through that much effort to do my part in trying to solve this web compatibility issue with them.

If you really can't wait for the update (slated for next week) then what you need to do is go into about:config, find the preference general.useragent.override.netflix.com that is in place there, double-click the entry, and remove the PaleMoon/26.0.0 part from it (leaving the rest intact), then doing a hard refresh on Netflix (Ctrl+F5) which should solve the black screen issue and launch Silverlight to stream media. Please remember to reset the value to default after the browser update.
OF NOTE: Please do a search before you start another thread. Yeah there's several threads/post about Netflix and the Silverlight plugin.
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

bloodsong

Re: Netflix Feb 2016

Unread post by bloodsong » 2016-02-02, 15:43

oh great, thanks!

i thought it was a problem specific to XP and atom, and i did not see it on this board. i know there are several older threads about netflix, but did not think those relevant, as they were solved some time ago.

though honestly i think the best fix might be to dump netflix and go back to amazon prime.