Pale Moon 26 and POSReady2009

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
Hajojunge

Pale Moon 26 and POSReady2009

Unread post by Hajojunge » 2016-01-27, 19:06

I had the same bad and very annoying experience.
Too bad: I went back to the restore point from yesterday,
but it was in vain: XPcom not loaded.
Some settings in the registry seemed to be damaged for ever.
No chance to start Pale Moon. Trapped.
I was forced to restore the whole system from my Drive Image backup (only 5 days old).
30 minutes later I had my old PM back. Next days I'll erase it.
Bye, bye, Pale Moon. Was nice to have you.
By the way: Did you get money from Microsoft?
XP SP3 POSready 2009 for ever!

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Pale Moon 26 and POSReady2009

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2016-01-27, 19:20

Hajojunge wrote:Bye, bye, Pale Moon. Was nice to have you.
By the way: Did you get money from Microsoft?
From what you say, I doubt you'll bother coming back to read this, but just in case:

http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6089
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-01-27, 23:45

Hajojunge wrote:By the way: Did you get money from Microsoft?
What kind of a nonsense question is that?

Also, your problem with using a restore point not completely restoring your previous system state is hardly a Pale Moon problem.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

drharri

Unread post by drharri » 2016-01-27, 23:49

My experience from about the last 10 years is that XP restore points are completely useless and should not be trusted in any case.

Hajojunge

Unread post by Hajojunge » 2016-02-04, 19:22

Dear Moonchild,
please accept my deepest apology. In that moment I felt totally trapped and frustrated, "No supported OS". There was no warning, even during the update process. Restore points dind't work, another browser was not installed, so I restored the system via backup (Drive Image 7). No problem, it took only 25 minutes (much easier than to repair the system), but the backup was 5 days old, and in my hurry I accidentally lost some important files.
Many friends, relatives and colleagues still use XP SP3. Why not? Their PC's and notebooks including the installed programs are still going strong. I recommended the POSready 2009 - registry fix and they are happy. And why should I give up my Samsung NC10 (2009)? I appreciate the frequent security updates provided by Microsoft. Hopefully XP is more and more out of sight of hackers. Microsoft doesn't like that, I can understand this, and so they want to force us to change to Win10. They have to invent the wheel again and again and.... Win7 is still too fine and supported until 2020.
Now PM 26.02 is back. No reason to use firefox, chrome et al. I informed my friends. Thanks a lot for supporting again XP SP3 POSready.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-02-05, 01:41

To be clear.. We are NOT supporting FrankenXP or POSReady. We are, however, not blocking you from using it on those operating systems and configurations. You are still VERY much on your own.

So you must be truthful when a problem happens on these unsupported configurations and operating systems. If you lie to us and send us on a wild goose chase for an issue introduced by mismatching system files or an unsupported OS like POSReady.. We WILL discontinue all Windows XP Support and the Atom version will no longer run on NT 5x systems.

It is blunt and arguably abrasive but those are the facts. We have gone this far and this is as far as we will go. Please keep that in mind.

However, on a lighter note.. You can still seek community support from other users if you are in this position.

As it says in the rules..
Please use this board only if you are running Pale Moon on official versions of Windows XP, XP Pro x64, Server 2003 or other NT5 based Windows operating systems.
If you have "extended" Windows XP past its end-of-life date, then your posts do not belong on this board and should be posted in the Windowx XP Embedded/POSReady2009 board.