PM XP-Pro POS Erased - Thanks for That

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
sqelch7

PM XP-Pro POS Erased - Thanks for That

Unread post by sqelch7 » 2016-01-27, 22:15

You're “deleting” XP users who have POS critical updates because you have security concerns? Inverted logic. If your lawyer(s) insists that this be done on some vague excuse of liability, then simply issue a series of warning pop-ups months ahead, instead of wiping out your end users browsers. Many of us have full long term direct experience dealing with WinXP security issues over the last ten-fifteen years. Most security catastrophes are behavioral. I have Win7 Win8/10 and Ubuntu systems each used for specialized purposes. Some XP utilities are not easily replicated in Win7/8/10. My XP units are cloned fresh installed authenticated “Genuine Advantage”, fully freshly patched, locked down in VMs or Sandboxed, used on known limited sites for specific processes. This security subterfuge really is an asinine leap. Is their some prankster impulse motivating the need to simply crash end users browsers? Is this symptomatic of some kind of passive-aggressive mental aberration at your end? Technical expertise is almost a certain guarantee of bad manners or lack of socialization, isn't it? Of course I can easily switch browsers. Jeesh - wotajerk.

half-moon

Re: PM XP-Pro POS Erased - Thanks for That

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-01-27, 22:45

sqelch7 wrote:You're “deleting” XP users who have POS critical updates because you have security concerns? Inverted logic. If your lawyer(s) insists that this be done on some vague excuse of liability, then simply issue a series of warning pop-ups months ahead, instead of wiping out your end users browsers. Many of us have full long term direct experience dealing with WinXP security issues over the last ten-fifteen years. Most security catastrophes are behavioral. I have Win7 Win8/10 and Ubuntu systems each used for specialized purposes. Some XP utilities are not easily replicated in Win7/8/10. My XP units are cloned fresh installed authenticated “Genuine Advantage”, fully freshly patched, locked down in VMs or Sandboxed, used on known limited sites for specific processes. This security subterfuge really is an asinine leap. Is their some prankster impulse motivating the need to simply crash end users browsers? Is this symptomatic of some kind of passive-aggressive mental aberration at your end? Technical expertise is almost a certain guarantee of bad manners or lack of socialization, isn't it? Of course I can easily switch browsers.....
Security really had nothing to do with it. I think it was mentioned that the reason for it was because it would be a nightmare to give adequate support to those using FrakenXPs.

Fact is: that PM for XP is intended to be ran on XP, not POS2009 or any of these FrankenXPs.
sqelch7 wrote:Jeesh - wotajerk.
As said, by the guy being a jerk. Really, Moonchild and Matt (and some others) put a lot of effort into maintaining this browser and all you can do is act like such a child when something doesn't go your way.

drharri

Unread post by drharri » 2016-01-27, 23:17

half-moon wrote:Security really had nothing to do with it. I think it was mentioned that the reason for it was because it would be a nightmare to give adequate support to those using FrakenXPs.
This explanation, really, does not sound too credible. More likely the real reasons behind this novel annoyance have to do with someone's finances.
Fact is: that PM for XP is intended to be ran on XP, not POS2009 or any of these FrankenXPs.
Fact is also that by removing the registry key you can have your OS to be supported by PM again.

On or after any Patch Tuesday you can temporarily reinstate the registry key to obtain the security patches and thus maintain your system security.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin » 2016-01-27, 23:33

Please direct your attention to the other thread concerning WEPOS where all reasons have been spelt out by the people in charge, including references to specific publications by the author of the OS you seem to know "everything" about.
Did you know that moral outrage triggers the pleasure centers of the brain? It's unlikely you can actually get addicted to outrage, but there is plausible evidence that you can become strongly predisposed to it.
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002w557/episodes/downloads - "The cooperative species" and "Behaving better online"