Pale Moon 26.0.0 will not run on POSReady2009
You will receive an error "Unsupported operating system" and the browser will not start.
This includes Windows XP versions that have been "hacked" to get updates from Microsoft (a dangerous thing to do, to begin with, because you've been and are being served updates that are not meant for your operating system version).
POSReady2009 has never been a valid target OS for Pale Moon. See also: http://www.palemoon.org/PM_end_of_WinXP_support.shtml
- This is a decision that has been made a long time ago for technical compatibility reasons and Pale Moon's intended audience (desktop users).
- We cannot and will not provide support for an unsupported OS meant for embedded use, or for a supported OS with a wholly untested, unrecommended, and unsupported mix of components from different versions.
- "Hacked" versions of Windows XP are not significantly safer than properly supported Windows XP versions that no longer get updates from Microsoft. The updates are catered specifically for a different OS version and not for desktop use. In fact, it's quite possible you are more vulnerable to exploits with an untested mix of components than if you had used only retail components.
- This is a decision that some people think is done on purpose "out of spite" or even rumored "because of a pay-off from Microsoft"... What nonsense!
Please take your drama elsewhere, thanks.
How do I get back to a supported operating system if I've previously hacked XP this way?
To do this properly, you have to:
- Undo the registry hack
- Reinstall Windows XP SP3 on top of your existing installation (a so-called "overlay install")
- Reinstall all hotfixes and updates for retail Windows XP from the SP3 point to EoL