palemoon-26.0.0.Atom.WinXP / WEPOS

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
barth

palemoon-26.0.0.Atom.WinXP / WEPOS

Unread post by barth » 2016-01-26, 15:38

Error: "Unsupported operating system"

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: palemoon-26.0.0.Atom.WinXP

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-01-26, 16:05

POSReady2009 is not a supported target OS.

http://www.palemoon.org/PM_end_of_WinXP_support.shtml
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

hayc59

Unread post by hayc59 » 2016-01-26, 16:31

Moonchild can you help me please get back to 25.0 version?

barth

Unread post by barth » 2016-01-26, 16:33

The key is not removed "Installed"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]

hayc59

Unread post by hayc59 » 2016-01-26, 16:34

Mine is also there!

hayc59

Unread post by hayc59 » 2016-01-26, 17:29

Ok so how do I remove this dumb arse hack so I can enjoy version 26.0??
thank you for any and all help folks :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-01-26, 17:49

hayc59 wrote:Ok so how do I remove this dumb arse hack
Find

Code: Select all

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady] 
"Installed"=dword:00000001
in your registry, and remove it.

You may have to set the appropriate permissions before you can do so, because it will likely be a locked key.

Also, for the people still wondering about how good or bad this is (this has been discussed at length before), here's what Microsoft has always said about this hack:
Microsoft wrote:We recently became aware of a hack that purportedly aims to provide security updates to Windows XP customers. The security updates that could be installed are intended for Windows Embedded and Windows Server 2003 customers and do not fully protect Windows XP customers. Windows XP customers also run a significant risk of functionality issues with their machines if they install these updates, as they are not tested against Windows XP.
So if you've run with this hack for a while, you can pray that the updates that have been installed will not cause any serious issues. The updates were never meant for XP, they were for embedded Windows systems specifically used in point-of-sale environments (WEPOS and/or Server 2003).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Ultor

Unread post by Ultor » 2016-01-26, 20:20

I don't update!

TELVM

Unread post by TELVM » 2016-01-27, 11:09

Moonchild wrote:... here's what Microsoft has always said about this hack:
Microsoft wrote:We recently became aware of a hack that purportedly aims to provide security updates to Windows XP customers. The security updates that could be installed are intended for Windows Embedded and Windows Server 2003 customers and do not fully protect Windows XP customers. Windows XP customers also run a significant risk of functionality issues with their machines if they install these updates, as they are not tested against Windows XP.
So if you've run with this hack for a while, you can pray that the updates that have been installed will not cause any serious issues. The updates were never meant for XP, they were for embedded Windows systems specifically used in point-of-sale environments (WEPOS and/or Server 2003).
That should be left for us to decide, not imposed. :thumbdown:

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2016-01-27, 11:43

It's been known that the registry hack is only for XPe, not a normal XP home user install. :thumbup:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-01-27, 13:28

TELVM wrote:That should be left for us to decide, not imposed. :thumbdown:
No, because Pale Moon (26.0 more so than any previous version) is never built for the ACTUAL embedded OS as a valid target OS.
We are only imposing what is a known unsupported OS. It's no different than software telling you it won't run on a Server OS, or main-line Pale Moon not running on XP to begin with and refusing to install.

You cannot reasonably expect us to support and provide support for a known unsupported operating system that no Pale Moon user should ever be running on to begin with (it's for embedded systems with singular tasks, not desktop/general use). We won't deal with that fallout, nor with people coming in with strange errors that will require a lot of time and effort from us for something that's not our doing because people will call it "Windows XP" and never mention it's a Frankenstein monster with a few bits of WEPOS, a few bits of 2003, etc.

If you hacked your XP, then the resulting incompatibility is entirely on you.

TELVM

Re: palemoon-26.0.0.Atom.WinXP / WEPOS

Unread post by TELVM » 2016-01-27, 15:27

Will you also dump Windows 7 someday in the future, parroting Microborg when they declare it 'obsolete' and 'dangerous'?

Gods forbid I ever have to read something like 'the resulting incompatibility is entirely on you for not upgrading to the Windows X abomination' ...

hayc59

Unread post by hayc59 » 2016-01-27, 16:25

MoonChild...windows products....have always been hacked whacked and I am sure you have done so in the past
or in the future!!
There are hacks for all browsers!! Isn't that what [about.config] is FOR!! ergo...SpeedyFox for palemoon and firefox
the list goes on forever! You have a good thing going on here and a great browser... that a whole lotta folks like
you should not take that away because today or right before you released it added..hehehe a tweak or may I say a hack
to your software to punish me and others!! NOT COOL at all dude :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-01-27, 16:44

hayc59 wrote:MoonChild...windows products....have always been hacked whacked and I am sure you have done so in the past
or in the future!!
There are hacks for all browsers!! Isn't that what [about.config] is FOR!! ergo...SpeedyFox for palemoon and firefox
the list goes on forever! You have a good thing going on here and a great browser... that a whole lotta folks like
you should not take that away because today or right before you released it added..hehehe a tweak or may I say a hack
to your software to punish me and others!! NOT COOL at all dude :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
I am sorry but several points of your argument have issues. SpeedyFox is wholly discouraged for Pale Moon because it is known to mess with preferences that have been already configured to their optimum state and what it does to them can affect the reliability of Pale Moon.

Also, despite Mozilla classical terminology.. Our extensibility and open source nature coupled with the term "hacks" has little barring on this specific situation. Windows XP is end of life.. Has been for two years. Windows Embedded Point of Service Ready 2009 is not Windows XP.. Though it was dirived FROM Windows XP. Updates for Windows Embedded Point of Service Ready 2009 do not directly apply to Windows XP. While many could run without issue, because it was not designed for the commonly available consumer operating system it presents a whole host of possibilities of code interacting in strange and unintended ways.

Microsoft does not even care to predict let alone test for any oddities that may crop up from this. Thus, there is ZERO available information to use when there is an issue. We do not have the time or resources nor the very foundational tools and reference points to support or expend time troubleshooting this kind of unsupported, unrecommended, and completely unwise configuration.

If this continues to be a source of issue for anyone and they are unwilling to accept that fact then your choice is most certainly clear. As always, we want you to have the freedom to make the choice for your usage patterns and use what works best for you. This may or may not be the Pale Moon Browser. It is up to you to decide what you want to do about your system and the browser you use.

Just because the choice or option isn't exactly what you would prefer does not mean the choice or option is not present, never the less.

drharri

Unread post by drharri » 2016-01-27, 16:51

Regarding those who (on their own risk) have need to run Pale Moon on embedded XP systems, someone might post (here, or if not permitted, elsewhere) a regedit script to toggle the offending registry key when Pale Moon is to be launched. The procedure could then be further automatized with a suitable batch file.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-01-27, 16:56

drharri wrote:Regarding those who (on their own risk) have need to run Pale Moon on embedded XP systems, someone might post (here, or if not permitted, elsewhere) a regedit script to toggle the offending registry key when Pale Moon is to be launched. The procedure could then be further automatized with a suitable batch file.
Okay, then you effectively make support for Windows XP a minefield because people most certainly will not tell us that they use the hack or are on an embedded system. Causing us to potentially waste time on an unsolvable issue. Time that could be spent on other legitimate activities.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-01-27, 17:08

Whether your Windows installation is actually POSReady2009/WEPOS or a hacked version of Windows made to look like POSReady2009 doesn't matter from the browser's point of view. Either will trigger the safeguard in place. This has not been added "right before I released it" either, and has been added with good reason. If you have run previous betas then you will also have run into this before. Even so, when it was added is of no consequence.

This is not user-configurable and won't ever be. about:config is not a magic wand that can make a browser suddenly compatible with what it isn't.

What is "not cool" here is your own attitude towards our browser and me as a person. These safeguards are not there to "punish you" or anyone else and painting it as such is rude and quite personal.
If you want to hack your OS to hell and back then that is your own choice, don't let me keep you from it -- just also take the responsibility that comes with it and don't try to make that ours, or in this case making it personal and saying I do it personally to you to "punish you". Because that is what you are implying here.
If you choose to work around the safeguard one way or another so you can run Pale Moon on an unsupported OS, then so be it. But do understand that I will not, ever, (want to) provide tech support for such a setup.

Bottom line: We do not support POSReady2009 as an operating system, in any way, shape or form. We do not support cobbled-together hybrids of different versions of Windows, either. You are on your own trying to figure out any issues you may have with it.

drharri

Unread post by drharri » 2016-01-27, 17:18

Matt A Tobin wrote:Okay, then you effectively make support for Windows XP a minefield because people most certainly will not tell us that they use the hack or are on an embedded system.
When someone files a bug, there is always the possibility that they are running PM on a system that in some respect is not as the developers intended, without mentioning anything about this being the case. I hope sincerely that you will be able to devise user-friendly strategies in order to deal with such issues.

barth

Unread post by barth » 2016-01-27, 17:20

Hiren`s Boot CD delete key "Installed"=dword:00000001

hayc59

Unread post by hayc59 » 2016-01-27, 17:25

Its obvious and Moonchild I am not alone as you can see by the post here and else where
that this is a hot issue... and if the word "punish" has offended you, then I and have done it many times
in life graciously and respectfully apologize to you!!! Maybe withheld or 'took away' my choice
to install your AWESOME browser on my machine!!
Some of us old folks(56 to be exact) cannot afford to buy new pcs everytime Bill Gates and friends
come out with a new OS.. that again and I know is not your problem but mine!
It would be nice to leave that tweak out of windows XP version of your software and write a warning
you install it with the POS tweak dont call us will call you :)