[Solved] PBS Site Non-functional

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
Frank Winkhorst

[Solved] PBS Site Non-functional

Unread post by Frank Winkhorst » 2015-12-26, 16:18

I'm not sure this is the proper forum, since it involves more than one browser, but I'm hoping there's a fix that will work in Full Moon XP.

PBS recently changed their video streaming website, example here. It used to work just fine. Now, if I'm lucky enough to get the preview images, when I click on one of the images I get a screen with an ad and the bottom matter, but no video (example here). This happens in Firefox, Pale Moon, and Internet Explorer. Now in Opera, when I click on the preview image, I get the dreaded "Error loading player: No playable sources found!"

Searching the forums, I noticed that there was a problem with the JW Player, which PBS either used or now uses. Everything at their site seems to be Top Secret for some reason. The solution was to change media.gstreamer.enabled to "true," but someone noted that this option does not exist in the XP version of PM. He tried adding it, to no avail, and I can confirm that. The poster claimed he would post the question to the XP forum, but I can find no trace of it.

I have the Flash Player and the Shockwave Flash Player enabled, both of which I uninstalled and reinstalled.

I realize this may be a PBS problem, but I'd appreciate it if someone could confirm that the problem exists for other users, and possibly suggest a solution short of upgrading to Windows 7 or 8, which I may do shortly anyhow, placing it on a separate partition from XP.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2016-01-09, 03:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked Solved

megaman

Re: PBS Site Non-functional

Unread post by megaman » 2015-12-26, 18:51

I can play the videos fine and it does require FLASH.

GStreamer is for Linux, not pertaining to Windows.

Currently using Palemoon 26 Beta 4, I'll check again in Palemoon 25.8.1.

Things to consider, enabling or disabling Firefox Compatibility Mode, depending on its current state.

It could be tricky to find a solution for you as I use Windows 10 on my machines, but like I said, the video plays fine and no issues.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-12-26, 18:52

I just tried your example video (Win7, Pale Moon x86 25.8.1) and it plays without issues. it loads a Flash version of the JWPlayer and simply runs the moment I click the play button.

GStreamer is indeed Linux-only, it will have no effect in Windows builds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2015-12-26, 19:10

Wow! It's not working for me on 25.8.1, I use X64 only, by the way.

Code: Select all

Timestamp: 12/26/2015 1:06:28 PM
Error: ReferenceError: Promise is not defined
Source File: http://dl47xs20witg8.cloudfront.net/js/video.d4cc40768823.js
Line: 9
height:"auto",trigger:"hover",constrains:"horizontal",animation:"pop",delay:{show:500,hide:0},content:t[0].outerHTML}).on("mouseover",function(){e.addClass(n)}).on("show.webui.popover",function(t){e.addClass(n),setTimeout(function(){i(".video-popover .btn-watchlist").removeClass("hide"),i.each(window.PBS.personalData.favorite_shows.content,function(e,t){var n=i('*[data-show-id="'+t.id+'"]'),o=n.find(".btn-text").data("text-selected");n.addClass("selected").find(".btn-text").text(o)}),i.each(window.PBS.personalData.favorite_videos.content,function(e,t){var n=i('*[data-video-id="'+t.id+'"]'),o=n.find(".btn-text").data("text-selected");n.addClass("selected").find(".btn-text").text(o)})},100)}).on("hide.webui.popover",function(){e.removeClass(n),i("video-popover .btn-watchlist").addClass("hide")}):e.hover(function(){e.addClass(n)},function(){e.removeClass(n)})})}}},{"../../../bower_components/webui-popover/dist/jquery.webui-popover":12,"../../../scripts/_buttons":21,jquery:3}],20:[function(e,t,n){"use strict";var i=window.jQuery||e("jquery"),o=e("./popover/video"),s=e("../../scripts/_fallback-image");e("lazysizes"),e("picturefill"),e("../../scripts/_buttons"),i(function(e){var t={},n=function(){i(),r(),t.videoImages.on("error",a),o.init(t.videoSection)},i=function(){t.videoSection=e(".video-grid"),t.videoImages=t.videoSection.find(".video-grid__image")},r=function(){t.videoSection.each(function(){t.videoImages.each(function(e,n){n.classList.contains("lazyloaded")?a(null,n):window.picturefill({reevaluate:!0,elements:t.videoImages})})})},a=function(e,t){var t=e?e.target:t;t&&("undefined"==typeof t.naturalWidth||0===t.naturalWidth)&&(l(t),window.picturefill({reevaluate:!0,elements:[t]}))},l=function(e){var t=e.classList.contains("video-grid__featured-image")?"featured-":"";new s({el:e,pathBase:window.PBS_STATIC_URL+"images/fpo/fallbacks/"+t+"video-",maxPlaceholderImages:1,numOfRetinaImages:2,imageSuffix:"jpg"})};n()})},{"../../scripts/_buttons":21,"../../scripts/_fallback-image":23,"./popover/video":19,jquery:3,lazysizes:8,picturefill:4}],21:[function(e,t,n){"use strict";jQuery(function(e){var t="pbs.org",n="selected",i=function(n,i,o,s,r){e.cookie("pbs_uid")?(PBS.Profile.favoriteVideos.add(n,i,o),e.isFunction(s)&&s({errorCode:0,errorMessage:"Great success!",type:"add",params:r})):(e.cookie("tmp_data_video",n,{expires:1,path:"/",domain:t}),PBS.Profile.signIn("VID","Add Favorite Video","favorite-video"))},o=function(n,i,o){e.cookie("pbs_uid")?(PBS.Profile.favoriteVideos.remove(n),e.isFunction(i)&&i({errorCode:0,errorMessage:"Great success!",type:"remove",params:o})):e.cookie("tmp_data_video","",{expires:1,path:"/",domain:t})},s=function(n,i,o,s){e.cookie("pbs_uid")?(PBS.Profile.favoriteShows.add(n,i),e.isFunction(o)&&o({errorCode:0,errorMessage:"Great success!",type:"add",params:s})):(e.cookie("tmp_data_programs",n,{expires:1,path:"/",domain:t}),PBS.Profile.signIn("PRG","Add Favorite Show","favorite-show"))},r=function(n,i,o){e.cookie("pbs_uid")?(PBS.Profile.favoriteShows.remove(n),e.isFunction(i)&&i({errorCode:0,errorMessage:"Great success!",type:"remove",params:o})):e.cookie("tmp_data_programs",n,{expires:1,path:"/",domain:t})},a=function(e){var t=e,i=t.find("span.btn-text"),o=i.data();t.hasClass(n)?i.text(o.textDefault):i.text(o.textSelected)},l=function(t){"add"===t.type?e(".btn-"+t.params.listenClass+"[data-"+t.params.attribute+'="'+t.params.value+'"]').each(function(){var t=e(this);a(t),window.setTimeout(function(){t.addClass(n)},300)}):"remove"===t.type&&e(".btn-"+t.params.listenClass+"[data-"+t.params.attribute+'="'+t.params.value+'"]').each(function(){var t=e(this);a(t),t.removeClass(n)})},c=function(e,t,a,c){var d={listenClass:t,attribute:a,value:c};e.hasClass(n)?"watchlist"===t?o(c,l,d):"favorite"===t&&r(c,l,d):"watchlist"===t?i(c,"","",l,d):"favorite"===t&&s(c,"",l,d)};return e("body").on("click",".btn-watchlist",function(t){var n=e(t.currentTarget);c(n,"watchlist","video-id",n.data("video-id"))}),e("body").on("click",".btn-favorite",function(t){var n=e(t.currentTarget);c(n,"favorite","show-id",n.data("show-id"))}),e("body").on("click",".btn-ripple",function(t){var i=e(this),o=e("<span/>"),s=e(this).offset(),r=t.pageX-s.left,a=t.pageY-s.top;i.hasClass(n)===!1&&(o.addClass("btn-ripple-effect").css({height:i.height(),width:i.height(),top:a-o.height()/2,left:r-o.width()/2,background:i.data("ripple-color")}).appendTo(i),window.setTimeout(function(){o.remove()},2e3))}),{addToWatchlist:i,removeFromWatchlist:o,addToFavorites:s,removeFromFavorites:r}})},{}],22:[function(e,t,n){"use strict";var i=window.jQuery=e("jquery");!function(e){var t=e("body");t.on("click.external","a[rel*='external']",function(t){var n=e(this),i=n.prop("href");t.preventDefault(),i&&window.open(i,"_blank")}),t.on("click.facebook","a.facebook-share",function(t){var n=e(this),i=n.prop("href");t.preventDefault(),i&&window.open(i,"_blank","status=1, height=360, width=500, resizable=0")}),t.on("click.twitter","a.twitter-share",function(t){var n=e(this),i=n.prop("href");t.preventDefault(),i&&window.open(i,"_blank","status=1, height=420, width=550, resizable=0")})}(i)},{jquery:3}],23:[function(e,t,n){"use strict";var i=function(){function e(e,t){for(var n in t){var i=t[n];i.configurable=!0,i.value&&(i.writable=!0)}Object.defineProperties(e,t)}return function(t,n,i){return n&&e(t.prototype,n),i&&e(t,i),t}}(),o=function(e,t){if(!(e instanceof t))throw new TypeError("Cannot call a class as a function")},s=function(){function e(t){o(this,e),t&&this.setupProps(t),this.el&&(this.setSrc(),this.setOverlayText())}return i(e,{setupProps:{value:function(e){var t={el:void 0,pathBase:"",maxPlaceholderImages:1,imageSuffix:"jpg",overlayText:"",hasRetinaOptions:!0,numOfRetinaImages:3,fallbackPath:""};for(var n in t)t.hasOwnProperty(n)&&(this[n]="undefined"!=typeof e[n]?e[n]:t[n])}},randomIndex:{value:function(){return Math.floor(Math.random()*this.maxPlaceholderImages)+1}},setSrc:{value:function(){this.buildPath(),this.updateNodes(),this.hasRetinaOptions?(this.el.setAttribute("srcset",this.fallbackPath),this.el.hasAttribute("src")&&this.el.removeAttribute("src")):(this.el.hasAttribute("srcset")&&this.el.removeAttribute("srcset"),this.el.setAttribute("src",this.fallbackPath))}},buildPath:{value:function(){var e=this.randomIndex(),t=1,n=5;if(this.hasRetinaOptions&&(t=this.numOfRetinaImages,n=2),!this.fallbackPath){for(var i=1;t>=i;i++)this.fallbackPath+=this.pathBase+e+"-"+i+"x."+this.imageSuffix+" "+i+"x, ";this.fallbackPath=this.fallbackPath.substr(0,this.fallbackPath.length-n)}return this.fallbackPath}},setOverlayText:{value:function(){var e=void 0,t=void 0;this.overlayText&&(e=document.createElement("div"),e.className="fallback-image__text-container",t=document.createElement("span"),t.textContent=this.overlayText,t.className="fallback-image__text",e.appendChild(t),this.el.parentNode.insertBefore(e,this.el))}},updateNodes:{value:function(){var e=this.el.parentNode,t=e.childElementCount-1;this.overlayText?2:1;if(e&&"picture"===e.tagName.toLowerCase())for(var n=0;t>n;n++)e.removeChild(e.firstChild)}}}),e}();t.exports=s},{}],24:[function(e,t,n){"use strict";var i=function(){function e(e,t){for(var n in t){var i=t[n];i.configurable=!0,i.value&&(i.writable=!0)}Object.defineProperties(e,t)}return function(t,n,i){return n&&e(t.prototype,n),i&&e(t,i),t}}(),o=function(e,t){if(!(e instanceof t))throw new TypeError("Cannot call a class as a function")},s=function(){function e(t){o(this,e),t&&this.setupProps(t),this.el&&this.createEl()}return i(e,{setupProps:{value:function(e){this.el=e.el||null,this.element=e.element||"span",this.text=e.text||"",this.className=e.className||"fallback-logo"}},createEl:{value:function(){var e=void 0;e=document.createElement(this.element),e.className=this.className,e.innerHTML=this.text,this.el.parentNode.insertBefore(e,this.el),this.el.parentNode.removeChild(this.el)}}}),e}();t.exports=s},{}],25:[function(e,t,n){"use strict";t.exports={debounceDelay:250,throttleDelay:250,breakpoints:{sm:768,md:1024,lg:1280,slick:{smaller:570,sm:767,md:1023,lg:1279}}}},{}],26:[function(e,t,n){"use strict";var i=(window.jQuery=e("jquery"),e("../bower_components/moment/min/moment.min")),o=void 0,s=-1!=navigator.userAgent.indexOf("MSIE")||-1!=navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Trident")&&-1==navigator.userAgent.indexOf("MSIE");if(s){e("es6-promise").Promise}o={formatTime:function(e){return e&&i(e).isValid()?i(e).utcOffset(e).format("LT"):!1},replaceWithFormattedTime:function(e){var t=void 0;if(e&&e.length>0)for(var n=0;n<e.length;n++)t=e[n].textContent,e[n].textContent=this.formatTime(t)?this.formatTime(t):"",e[n].classList.add("schedule__time--formatted")},checkForZeroNaturalImageWidth:function(e){var t=this,n=new Promise(function(n,i){var o=new Image;o.onload=function(){0===t.naturalWidth&&i(),n(),o=null},o.onerror=function(){i(),o=null},o.src=e.getAttribute("src")||""});return n}},t.exports=o},{"../bower_components/moment/min/moment.min":10,"es6-promise":2,jquery:3}],27:[function(e,t,n){"use strict";var i=window.jQuery=e("jquery");!function(e,t){e.PBS||(e.PBS={}),PBS.Ads=function(){function e(e){var t=e.parents("li");t.length?t.remove():e.remove()}function n(e){var t=e.parents("li");t.length&&t.removeClass("none"),e.css("display","block")}function i(){t("#footer").css("margin-bottom",0)}function o(){i(),t(".ad--adhesion").remove()}function s(){t(".advertisement").each(function(){var i,o=t(this),s=0;i=setInterval(function(){s+=1;var t=o.find("img");(!t.length&&s>50||t.length&&t.attr("src").indexOf("grey.gif")>=0)&&(e(o),clearInterval(i),s=0),t.length&&t.attr("src").indexOf("grey.gif")<0&&(n(o),clearInterval(i),s=0)},100)})}return{check:s,closeAd:o,removeAd:i}}()}(window,i),PBS.Ads.check()},{jquery:3}],28:[function(e,t,n){"use strict";!function(e,t){function n(e){return e}function i(e){return decodeURIComponent(e.replace(o," "))}var o=/\+/g;e.cookie=function(o,s,r){if(arguments.length>1&&(!/Object/.test(Object.prototype.toString.call(s))||null==s)){if(r=e.extend({},e.cookie.defaults,r),null===s&&(r.expires=-1),"number"==typeof r.expires){var a=r.expires,l=r.expires=new Date;l.setDate(l.getDate()+a)}return s=String(s),t.cookie=[encodeURIComponent(o),"=",r.raw?s:encodeURIComponent(s),r.expires?"; expires="+r.expires.toUTCString():"",r.path?"; path="+r.path:"",r.domain?"; domain="+r.domain:"",r.secure?"; secure":""].join("")}r=s||e.cookie.defaults||{};for(var c,d=r.raw?n:i,u=t.cookie.split("; "),p=0;c=u[p]&&u[p].split("=");p++)if(d(c.shift())===o)return d(c.join("="));return null},e.cookie.defaults={}}(jQuery,document)},{}],29:[function(require,module,exports){"use strict";var jQuery=window.jQuery=require("jquery");require("./pbs_storage.js"),function(window,$){function csrfSafeMethod(e){return/^(GET|HEAD|OPTIONS|TRACE)$/.test(e)}window.Modal||(window.Modal={});var COOKIE_DOMAIN="pbs.org",csrftoken=$.cookie("csrftoken");$.ajaxSetup({beforeSend:function(e,t){csrfSafeMethod(t.type)||this.crossDomain||e.setRequestHeader("X-CSRFToken",csrftoken)}}),window.Modal=function(){function init(settings){modalWindow=$(settings.modalWindow),modalOverlay=$(modalWindow).parent(),errorDescription=$(modalWindow).find("#errorDescription"),errorSubmitted=$(modalWindow).find("#errorSubmitted"),cancelButton=$(modalWindow).find(".cancelBtn"),submitButton=$(modalWindow).find(".submitBtn"),modalCloseBtn=$(modalWindow).find(".closeBtn"),selectField=$(modalWindow).find("#typeOfError"),condTextBox=$(modalWindow).find(".condTextBox"),condTextField=condTextBox.find("textarea"),footnote=$(modalWindow).find("p.footnote"),modalCloseBtn.off("click").on("click",closeWindow),cancelButton.off("click").on("click",closeWindow),submitButton.off("click").on("click",function(){eval(settings.action)}),selectField.off("change").on("change",function(e){triggerTextField(e)}),condTextField.off("keypress").on("keypress",limitText),condTextField.off("paste").on("paste",trimPastedText),modal_action=settings.action,action_url=settings.url,action_params=settings.params,videoTitle=settings.videoTitle,videoId=settings.videoId}function show(){scrollX=window.pageXOffset,scrollY=window.pageYOffset,modalOverlay.removeClass("none"),showPanel("description"),$("#adFix, #iab").hide()}function showPanel(e,t){switch(e){case"description":errorDescription.show(),errorSubmitted.hide();break;case"submit":t&&errorSubmitted.find(".message").html(t),errorDescription.hide(),errorSubmitted.show();break;default:errorDescription.show(),errorSubmitted.hide()}scrollFix();$("video")[0]}function scrollFix(){var e=$(window).height();$("body, #page").css({height:e+heightOffset,overflow:"hidden"})}function closeWindow(){modalOverlay.addClass("none");$("video")[0];$("body, #page").removeAttr("style"),$("#adFix, #iab").show(),window.scrollTo(scrollX,scrollY)}function submitForm(e,t,n){$.ajax({url:e,type:t,data:n,error:function(e){showPanel("submit",e.errorMessage||"There was an error sending your request. Please try again later")},success:function(e){showPanel("submit",e.errorMessage)}})}function submitFeedback(){var e=$.extend(action_params,{errorType:selectField.val(),videoId:videoId,videoTitle:videoTitle,x_client_id:localId,x_session_id:sessionId});condTextField.val()&&(e.errorDetails=condTextField.val()),submitForm(action_url,"post",e)}function triggerTextField(e){var t=e.currentTarget.selectedIndex,n=e.currentTarget[t];"trigger"===n.className?(condTextBox.show(),footnote.addClass("hideOnDevice")):(condTextBox.hide(),condTextField.val(""),footnote.removeClass("hideOnDevice"))}function limitText(e){var t=$(this).val(),n=t.length,i=17,o=86,s=67;if(n>=180){var r=$(this);setTimeout(function(){r.val(t.substr(0,180))},5)}return e.keyCode==i&&(ctrlDown=!0),!ctrlDown||e.keyCode!=o&&e.keyCode!=s?void 0:!1}function trimPastedText(){var e=$(this);setTimeout(function(){var t=e.val(),n=t.length;n>180&&e.val(t.substr(0,180))},5)}var modalWindow,modalOverlay,errorDescription,errorSubmitted,cancelButton,submitButton,modalCloseBtn,heightOffset=0,scrollX,scrollY,localId=Storage.getStorageItem(localStorage,"guid"),sessionId=Storage.getStorageItem(sessionStorage,"guid")||localId,selectField,condTextBox,condTextField,footnote,ctrlDown=!1,videoTitle,modal_action,action_url,action_params,videoId;return{show:show,init:init}}()}(window,jQuery)},{"./pbs_storage.js":33,jquery:3}],30:[function(e,t,n){"use strict";var i=window.jQuery=e("jquery");!function(e){window.PBS||(window.PBS={}),PBS.postMessage=function(){function t(e,t){"addEventListener"in e?e.addEventListener(t,n,!1):"attachEvent"in e&&e.attachEvent("on"+t,n)}function n(e){var t=e.data;"companionAd"===t.type&&t.body.companions.length&&i(t.body)}function i(t){if(e(window).width()>=1280&&"static"===t.companions[0].type){var n=e(".video-player-ad");n.find("#singleHeadBanner").attr("href",t.companions[0].click),n.find("img").attr("src",t.companions[0].resource)}}return t(window,"message"),{init:t,initCompanionAdd:i}}()}(i)},{jquery:3}],31:[function(e,t,n){"use strict";var i=window.jQuery=e("jquery");i(function(e){PBS.videoIframe=function(){function e(e){t(e)}function t(e){var t,o=PBS.playerConfig.embedURL,s=PBS.playerConfig.embedType,r=i(".video-player-wrapper").width(),a=9*r/16,l=i.cookie("pbsol.station"),c=o+s+e.id+"/?uid="+PBS.UID;l&&(c+="&callsign="+l),t=["<iframe ",'id="portalPlayer" ','frameborder="0" ','marginwidth="0" ','marginheight="0" ','scrolling="no" ','width="'+r+'" ','height="'+a+'" ','src="'+c+'" ','style="max-width:100%;" ',"allowfullscreen>","</iframe>"].join(""),n(t)}function n(e){i(".video-player-wrapper").html(e)}return{init:e,getCode:t,loadIframe:n}}(),PBS.videoIframe.init(PBS.playerConfig)})},{jquery:3}],32:[function(e,t,n){"use strict";var i=window.jQuery=e("jquery"),o=e("./_utils"),s=e("./_fallback-logo");e("./jquery.pbs.cookie.js"),function(e,t){function n(e){return/^(GET|HEAD|OPTIONS|TRACE)$/.test(e)}e.PBS||(e.PBS={});var i=t.cookie("csrftoken");t.ajaxSetup({beforeSend:function(e,t){n(t.type)||this.crossDomain||e.setRequestHeader("X-CSRFToken",i)}}),t.fn.modalLogin=function(){function n(){s.addClass("none");t("video")[0];t.cookie("pbsol.redirect_url",null,{expires:360,path:"/",domain:".pbs.org"}),t("body, #page, #mobileMenu").removeAttr("style"),t("#adFix, #iab").show()}function i(){var n=t(e).height();t("body, #page, #mobileMenu").css({height:n+a,overflow:"hidden"})}var o=t(this),s=t(this).parent(),r=(t(this).find(".socialLoginPanel"),t(this).find(".closeBtn")),a=(t(e).height(),0);o.addClass("initiated"),t.fn.modalLogin.show=function(){s.removeClass("none"),i();t("video")[0];t("#adFix, #iab").hide()},t.fn.modalLogin.showUpgragedMessage=function(){t(this).find(".sign-in").hide(),t(this).find(".upgrade").show()},r.on("click",n)},PBS.Profile=function(){function n(e){t(".copy-message").addClass("hidden"),t(".copy-message."+e).removeClass("hidden")}function i(e,i){t("#loginModalWindow")&&!t("#loginModalWindow").hasClass("initiated")&&t("#loginModalWindow").modalLogin(),n(e),t.fn.modalLogin.show(),i&&t.fn.modalLogin.showUpgragedMessage()}function r(n,o,s,r){e.GAaction=o||"",r=r||e.location.href,t.cookie("pbsol.redirect_url",r,{expires:360,path:"/",domain:".pbs.org"}),n&&t.cookie("tmp_campaign_info",n,{expires:10,path:"/",domain:".pbs.org"}),i(s)}function a(){var n=document.createElement("iframe");n.className="hidden",document.body.appendChild(n),n.src=e.PBS_ACCOUNT_BASE_URL+"logout/",t(n).load(function(){t.ajax({url:"/logout/",type:"post",success:function(e){location.reload()}})})}function l(){var e=t(".modalLoginStation .station-logo--has-fallback")[0];e&&o.checkForZeroNaturalImageWidth(e)["catch"](function(){new s({el:e,element:"span",text:e.getAttribute("alt"),className:"station-logo-fallback"})})}!function(){"undefined"!=typeof PBS&&"undefined"!=typeof PBS.querystring&&("true"===PBS.querystring.parse().showSignIn&&PBS.querystring.parse().returnURL&&r("MVOD","Upsell screen","sign-in",PBS.querystring.parse().returnURL),"true"===PBS.querystring.parse().showLocalized&&PBS.querystring.parse().returnURL&&JAWS.Localization.init())}();var c={add:function(e,n,i){t.ajax({url:"/profile/addFavoriteVideo/"+e+"/",type:"post",success:function(e){}})},remove:function(e){t.ajax({url:"/profile/removeFavoriteVideo/"+e+"/",type:"post",success:function(e){}})}},d={remove:function(e){t.ajax({url:"/profile/removeWatchedVideo/"+e+"/",type:"post",success:function(e){}})}},u={add:function(e,n){t.ajax({url:"/profile/addFavoriteProgram/"+e+"/",type:"post",success:function(){}})},remove:function(e){t.ajax({url:"/profile/removeFavoriteProgram/"+e+"/",type:"post",success:function(e){}})}},p={add:function(e,n){t.ajax({url:"/profile/addFavoriteStation/"+e+"/",type:"post",async:!1,data:{zipcode:n},success:function(e){}})}};return l(),{signIn:r,signOut:a,favoriteVideos:c,favoriteShows:u,favoriteStations:p,watchedVideos:d}}()}(window,i)},{"./_fallback-logo":24,"./_utils":26,"./jquery.pbs.cookie.js":28,jquery:3}],33:[function(e,t,n){"use strict";!function(e,t){e.Storage||(e.Storage={}),Storage=function(){function e(e,t,n){try{e.setItem(t,n)}catch(i){console.log(i)}}function t(e,t){try{return e.getItem(t)}catch(n){console.log(n)}return 0}function n(e,t){try{e.removeItem(t)}catch(n){console.log(n)}}return{setStorageItem:e,getStorageItem:t,removeStorageItem:n}}()}(window,jQuery)},{}]},{},[1]);

Catman51

Unread post by Catman51 » 2015-12-26, 19:19

Using 26 beta 4 and it does work for me.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-12-26, 19:20

I guess when Flash isn't available it tries to load a Javascript+HTML5 player. I just tested that:
I disabled flash and it loads the HTML5 player, without issues (html5 might not find the codecs required on XP if the video is H.264 encoded, though), no complaints about Promises. Megaman: are you using a UA override or something, because I have no issues either way?

That also doesn't explain why it doesn't work in the other browsers that were tried by the original poster...
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2015-12-26, 19:39

Don't know if this info will help, but here it is. The videos play on my computer, which is running Windows 7, and using Pale Moon 26 b4. The videos do not play on wife's computer, which is running Windows 8.1, and using Pale Moon 25.8.1.

For the OP on XP: Could it possibly be a DRM issue? Or a codec issue? Can anyone tell if they are .mp4 files, or .webm files (if that even makes a difference)? Just throwing out some ideas.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2015-12-26, 20:49

Moonchild wrote:Megaman: are you using a UA override or something, because I have no issues either way?
I tried it with a clean profile and the site still blank, no override there. Sharing the profiles with the BETA, it doesn't load there, either. BETA loads it fine.
I'll post the CSS errors.

Way too many warnings, I took 4 of them:

Timestamp: 12/26/2015 2:54:39 PM
Warning: Expected media feature name but found 'touch-enabled'.
Source File: http://www.pbs.org/video/2365039828/
Line: 1, Column: 8
Source Code:
@media (touch-enabled),(-webkit-touch-enabled),(-moz-touch-enabled),(-o-touch-enabled),(-ms-touch-enabled),(heartz){#modernizr{top:9px;position:absolute}}

Warning: Expected media feature name but found 'heartz'.
Source File: http://www.pbs.org/video/2365039828/
Line: 1, Column: 108
Source Code:
@media (touch-enabled),(-webkit-touch-enabled),(-moz-touch-enabled),(-o-touch-enabled),(-ms-touch-enabled),(heartz){#modernizr{top:9px;position:absolute}}

Warning: Error in parsing value for 'border-radius'.  Declaration dropped.
Source File: http://dl47xs20witg8.cloudfront.net/css/main.fd297009bc2a.css
Line: 1, Column: 8341

Warning: Unknown pseudo-class or pseudo-element '-ms-clear'.  Ruleset ignored due to bad selector.
Source File: http://dl47xs20witg8.cloudfront.net/css/main.fd297009bc2a.css
Line: 1, Column: 11320
This one also popped-up:

Timestamp: 12/26/2015 2:59:37 PM
Error: mismatched tag. Expected: </link>.
Source File: http://blocklist.palemoon.org/25.8.1/blocklist.xml
Line: 15, Column: 3
Source Code:
</head><body>

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin » 2015-12-26, 21:33

I think the PBS site must be having trouble. Firefox 43 here, with Flash, using uBlock, and it gives a perpetual loading icon.
Did you know that moral outrage triggers the pleasure centers of the brain? It's unlikely you can actually get addicted to outrage, but there is plausible evidence that you can become strongly predisposed to it.
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002w557/episodes/downloads - "The cooperative species" and "Behaving better online"

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2015-12-26, 21:38

Admin wrote:I think the PBS site must be having trouble. Firefox 43 here, with Flash, using uBlock, and it gives a perpetual loading icon.
uBlock could be blocking something.
I just tried again on 26 B4 and it still works fine.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin » 2015-12-26, 21:39

Oh right of course... pre-video ad was blocked :P
Did you know that moral outrage triggers the pleasure centers of the brain? It's unlikely you can actually get addicted to outrage, but there is plausible evidence that you can become strongly predisposed to it.
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002w557/episodes/downloads - "The cooperative species" and "Behaving better online"

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2015-12-26, 21:42

Admin wrote:Oh right of course... pre-video ad was blocked :P
I was just downloading a Portable Firefox to see it for myself, but even with AdBlock Latitude, it plays fine but it does skip the ad.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin » 2015-12-26, 21:51

megaman wrote:
Admin wrote:Oh right of course... pre-video ad was blocked :P
I was just downloading a Portable Firefox to see it for myself, but even with AdBlock Latitude, it plays fine but it does skip the ad.
Yes, scratch that, the ad blocker wasn't the problem, it was Flash being blocked because it's not the very latest version and Firefox threw a fit.

Mercury

Unread post by Mercury » 2015-12-28, 00:39

Works for me on my WinXP computer, PM 25.8.1.
The message "Error loading player: No playable sources found!" shows when Flash Player is disabled.
After enabling the Flash plugin, the video plays as expected.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-12-28, 00:51

On XP it would make sense that you need Flash, because the media is likely MP4/H.264 which needs the Windows Media Foundation which isn't available on XP.

Frank Winkhorst

Unread post by Frank Winkhorst » 2015-12-28, 02:26

Thanks for the input, though I'm still not sure what's going on. Are you recommending I go to the 26 beta? Just one clue: When I go to Tools/Options/Applications and I scroll down to Flash Video, the icon is from the Daum PotPlayer that I recently installed, and the selected program is Real Player. I don't see a choice to use the Flash Player under "Use other....", and I don't even know where to find it. Could this be the problem, and if so, where do I find the Flash Player?

A second clue: When I go to Folder Options in XP, the .flv setting is for the Daum PotPlayer. And, again, there is no option for the Flash Player.

A third clue: The reason I switched to the Daum Player was because WinAmp stopped playing .flv files. But I stress, Flash plays fine at YouTube and other places, including some of the websites for the individual PBS programs. Could this be some kind of rights management issue, the shows only being available in certain markets? I emailed the local station engineer, but haven't heard back yet.

FW

PS: I have Shockwave Flash set to "Always Activate" under plugins, but I don't see Adobe Flash. Are these separate programs and should I have Adobe Flash in the list?

Frank Winkhorst

Unread post by Frank Winkhorst » 2015-12-28, 03:30

Aha! The reason the PBS videos wouldn't play under Opera was because I didn't have Flash installed for Opera. But it takes forever for the ads to load. This appears to be a JW Player problem. So the question is, what is Opera doing that Firefox/Pale Moon and IE aren't doing? I have the adblocker turned off and cookies allowed in Pale Moon. So now I'm really confused.

Frank Winkhorst

Problem Fixed

Unread post by Frank Winkhorst » 2016-01-08, 19:21

I don't know whether it resulted from my harassment of PBS or whether something else was corrected, but their website is now working correctly in Pale Moon. I can't help suspecting this had something to do with cookies being loaded from dsply.com, associated as recently as 2014 with malware, but we will probably never know. Anyhow, thanks for the input.

megaman

Re: Problem Fixed

Unread post by megaman » 2016-01-08, 19:44

Frank Winkhorst wrote:I don't know whether it resulted from my harassment of PBS or whether something else was corrected, but their website is now working correctly in Pale Moon. I can't help suspecting this had something to do with cookies being loaded from dsply.com, associated as recently as 2014 with malware, but we will probably never know. Anyhow, thanks for the input.
Yup, checked myself and it's working, as well. Thanks for your reply, or we wouldn't have known.