stop checking addon compatibility

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
jbclem

stop checking addon compatibility

Unread post by jbclem » 2015-11-19, 22:40

Is there a way to stop Palemoon from checking addon compatibility every single time I start it up. Is there a switch in the about:config section that I can disable.

Palemoon 25.0.5.1

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: stop checking addon compatibility

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-11-20, 00:54

You should make sure that Pale Moon can save its preferences properly so they are remembered.
Also, you.. um.. may want to update to a proper version and possibly a current one? 25.0.5.1 doesn't exist. We're currently at 25.8
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

jbclem

Unread post by jbclem » 2015-11-21, 10:15

I'm actually using 25.7.0 (Atom/XP). I don't know where I came up with the other version, my cat must have typed it in when I wasn't looking.

I have Palemoon set to "never check for updates (not recommended)". I don't know if that includes checking for add-on updates...is there another place to confirm checking for the add-on updates?

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2015-11-21, 13:29

jbclem wrote:
I have Palemoon set to "never check for updates (not recommended)". I don't know if that includes checking for add-on updates
No, it doesn't. That's the setting for Pale Moon to check for updates to Pale Moon.

I am a little confused about what exactly is the problem. Checking for compatibility is not exactly the same as checking for updates. Pale Moon should only check for add-on compatibility when you update Pale Moon (which by the way has recently been updated to 25.8.0).

jbclem

Unread post by jbclem » 2015-11-23, 11:22

What's happening is that every time I start up Palemoon it checks compatibility of add-ons and then opens up a page called Palemoon Update. This page has Palemoon release notes. They are usually the same every time unless there is an actual update and then there is a new release note. I start up Palemoon, on two different computers, at least twice a day, so I see the release notes page quite often.

As I said before, I have Palemoon set to never check for updates. So this shouldn't be happening.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-11-23, 11:47

This check is completely unrelated to checking for add-on/application updates. It is a check that occurs once when you have just installed a new version of the browser and it sees a profile from a previous version, to make sure your extensions/themes are still supported by the current version of the browser. Once this check is complete, it saves its current version state in your profile preferences.

If this check happens every time you start it, your browser is possibly run in a sandboxed environment where it can't save preferences permanently, or something else is preventing it from properly updating its profile (file permissions etc.). Either way, it's a preference saving issue.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite