palemoon for winXP doesn`t play twitter`s video

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
Weather

palemoon for winXP doesn`t play twitter`s video

Unread post by Weather » 2016-03-27, 13:24

For example this common link shows that:
This browser doesn`t support video playback

The latest Firefox on the same WindowsXP SP3 shows the same warning and doesn`t play videos.

What do I make to play them?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: palemoon for winXP doesn`t play twitter`s video

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-03-27, 13:36

If the video is H.264 encoded then there's nothing you can do, because the Windows Media Foundation used to decode those videos is not available on Windows XP.
You may have more luck with some video plugins to handle decoding.

(moving this to the Windows XP board)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Weather

Unread post by Weather » 2017-02-24, 12:12

There is an article about how to switch on playing H.264 video in firefox on Windows XP.
There is the same version in russian and there is a brief way: just create "media.gmp.decoder.enabled" boolean-true parameter.
I opened Palemoon for windows xp about:config page, but didn`t find there any "media.gmp.." strings. I created them and copied folders with the plug-in into the profile folder. But it doesn`t work.
I easily could activate this function in actual Firefox (51.0.1) browser.

How do I activate Primetime Content Decryption Module in Palemoon for windows xp to play H.264 videos?
Last edited by Weather on 2017-02-24, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-02-24, 12:32

Pale Moon for Windows XP does not support "Gecko Media Plugins" which is Mozilla's side-stepping of "no plugins allowed" in later versions of their code base.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2017-02-24, 16:51

Weather wrote:How do I activate Primetime Content Decryption Module in Palemoon for windows xp to play H.264 videos?
Pale Moon does not support DRM malware modules.