[Gremlins] Java (v8,update 51) not working

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

mrGreen82

[Gremlins] Java (v8,update 51) not working

Unread post by mrGreen82 » 2015-07-17, 22:39

Good day to all,

I like to start by saying "i love this browser" and have not ever before experienced any difficulties with it. Pale Moon has been my primary browser for the last 4 years.

Today i updated my Java version to the newest update (version 8, update 51, released 14th July '15). However, on completion of this successful installation, i have been unable to verify Java on my computer. The website from Java, gives as explanation, that java is either disabled or not installed.

Tried to resolve this step by step:
- Restarted browser
- Restarted pc
- Read the faq from java, double checked the java configuration tool and ensured java is being enabled in browsers.
- Manually removed Java and made sure i had no older versions still running.
- Manually downloaded/installed Java again, with same end results.

I have a few plugins/extensions, but they never before caused any issues. Have re-checked these plugins/extensions for known issues but came up empty.

Really hope i am overlooking something simple, so that is why i joined the forum, took 2 hours to read up on related issues and decided to create this new topic. I have included 2 attachments that provide some basic information about my system, using the "About:support" line in address bar, and the dxdiag tool.

To all whom haven taken the time to read my thread, made suggestions or handed out solutions, Thank You.
Attachments
about-support.txt
about:support
(2.48 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
DxDiag.txt
dxdiag
(43.35 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Last edited by Moonchild on 2015-07-19, 08:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked caused by gremlins ;)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Java (v8,update 51) not working

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-07-17, 22:43

Did you make sure to install the correct version of the Java Runtime Environment? if you are using Pale Moon x64, then you must also make sure to install the 64-bit plugin version of Java.

Going to about:plugins may also provide a little insight - if it is actually installed but disabled, for example.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

mrGreen82

Unread post by mrGreen82 » 2015-07-18, 00:36

Thank you Moonchild for the fast reply,
I forgot to mention this in my previous post, but yes, i have downloaded and installed the x64 on the 2nd attempt to install it. The first time around, Java auto-update reminded me i had yet to download and install the newest version.

I have included the list from about:plugins as attachment, but as far as i can see,, it should be running...
Attachments
about-plugins.txt
about:plugins
(2.79 KiB) Downloaded 57 times

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-07-18, 08:33

Looks good yes -- which makes it very likely something is blocking access to java on the web; either an extension, security software, antivirus, "web filter" or similar.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

mrGreen82

Unread post by mrGreen82 » 2015-07-18, 23:10

@ the end, it proved to difficult for me to find the cause of my issue...
Have uninstalled and re-installed the Pale Moon Browser, downloaded and installed Java, verified it worked. Then reinstalled the extensions and plugins i had running, and java is still working.

I am considering my issue "resolved". Thanks for the effort to help me out Moonchild, much appreciated.