Upcoming changes to Flash Player’s extended support release

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

MaxwellSmart

Upcoming changes to Flash Player’s extended support release

Unread post by MaxwellSmart » 2015-06-13, 21:34

I found this tidbit while looking for Flash 13ESR.

Beginning August 11th, 2015, we will be upgrading Flash Player’s extended support release from version 13 to version 18. This change impacts enterprise and IT customers that currently deploy Flash Player using the extended support releases available through our distribution channel.

Adobe makes available the extended support release to organizations that prefer Flash Player stability over new functionality. We will create a branch of the Flash Player code that we keep up to date with all of the latest security updates, but none of the new features or bug fixes available in our normal release branch. This allows organizations to certify and stay secure with Flash Player with minimal effort.

To ensure a smooth transition, we encourage IT organizations to thoroughly test our version 18 releases (currently available on labs.adobe.com) over the next couple of months before deploying.

https://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2015/05/upcoming-changes-to-flash-players-extended-support-release-2.html

We recommend that you download Flash Player from our main page, but if you encounter difficulties and require the 13 release, here are direct links to the installers.

Windows

Flash Player 13 for Internet Explorer

Flash Player 13 for other browsers

The Flash Player ESR release provides a player with all known security patches applied.

If downloading from the Flash Player archives, please note that you will be downloading a .zip file that will contain installers for all operating systems.

Unzip the archive and navigate into the appropriate folder (you can safely ignore the folder that ends with "_debug").
Run the appropriate installer for your operating system and browser.
If installing for Internet Explorer, run the installer with "winax" in the file name.
For Windows, running the executable that ends with .exe is recommended. (instead of .msi)

Please note: By default, Flash Player's auto update system is enabled which can cause an update to occur within an hour. To stay on the 13 release, you will need to change this update mechanism to either "Notify me to install updates" or "Never check for updates (not recommended)". This can be done at the time of installation or later via the Flash Player control panel's Advanced tab.

How do I revert to a previous version of Flash Player?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Upcoming changes to Flash Player’s extended support rele

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-06-13, 22:00

Let's hope they make it more stable before August.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-06-13, 22:15

Is it just me or what?? I been trying to download Flash ESR for IE and it always come back with, "The version of Adobe Flash Player your trying to install is not the most current version. Please visit the Player Download Center to obtain the latest, most secure version."
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

MaxwellSmart

Unread post by MaxwellSmart » 2015-06-13, 22:53

Ok, if you go to the normal "GetFlash" page...the one they incessantly push you toward... you select "other version"

https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

Now, if you have noscript and request policy opened up to allow you to see all the images, etc, look closely at the fine print at the bottom left of the screen.

"If your operating system/browser combination is not displayed, refer to the Archived Flash Player versions page."

Presto, all the old versions, so many this is what started my quest for the correct ESR. :thumbup:

MaxwellSmart

Unread post by MaxwellSmart » 2015-06-13, 23:04

Moonchild wrote:Let's hope they make it more stable before August.
That was exactly my first thought as well. I left PM with v18 running overnight, and the tabs weren't even very active flash content, and when I came back PM was up to 1.3Gb working set, and barely functional on my measly 4gb
system.
Run, don't walk, to get away from Flash v18.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2015-07-24, 18:45

MaxwellSmart wrote:Please note: By default, Flash Player's auto update system is enabled which can cause an update to occur within an hour. To stay on the 13 release, you will need to change this update mechanism to either "Notify me to install updates" or "Never check for updates (not recommended)". This can be done at the time of installation or later via the Flash Player control panel's Advanced tab.
Yes, that's annoying. It will always update (or warn for an update) to the latest (non-ESR) version. I'm using this "workaround" instead of constant manual checks. Flash auto-update is disabled ofc, but I keep an eye on Windows Update: if an IE Flash update is listed, then usually there will be an update on all Flash versions.