Adieu macromedia flashplayer (needing advice)

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

seaside

Re: Adieu macromedia flashplayer (needing advice)

Unread post by seaside » 2015-06-03, 07:44

you gave me the link of a file.. which isn't related to html5 streaming..
clicking on it would do nothing but opening the download manager..
in my case, i send mp4's to kmplayer.

i must have installed a version of win8 that doesnt includ wmf..
although i don't know what wmf stands for in terms of files..

& i already did a clean restart reseting palemoon with all addons disabled
which didn't work

Tharn

Unread post by Tharn » 2015-06-03, 08:01

I gave you a direct link to a H264 file which Palemoon can play natively in a tab using WMF codecs. Try that instead of downloading it and see what happens. You may have to go into Options > Applications and temporarily undo whatever setting you have saved for handing MP4s to another media player.

seaside

Unread post by seaside » 2015-06-03, 08:13

the only thing i can do is remove kmplayer for mp4s & set them to ask..
but if i do that, same thing..it's a file that is managed automatically by palemoons download manager..

Tharn

Unread post by Tharn » 2015-06-03, 08:20

Is your 'media.windows-media-foundation.play-stand-alone' setting in about:config set to true?

seaside

Unread post by seaside » 2015-06-03, 08:25

yes it is......

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2015-06-03, 10:10

Try this viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8240
(A New profile):

seaside

Unread post by seaside » 2015-06-03, 20:13

I moved pale moon from program files & moonchild from roaming to the desktop & installed palemoon,
disabled flashplayer, then progressively shockwave & even java after & finally, a stupid plugin added by "hola addon"
(vlc), but i still have h264 disabled in youtube & the mp4 couldn't be played.. it seems that webm is played since the
beginning, but not mp4. maybe i'm missing a file in system32 ?

seaside

Unread post by seaside » 2015-06-03, 22:36

i installed Media Feature Pack for N for Windows 8 N
& it failed to install at the last configuration at 99%
when i restarted, it must be another perfect microsoft
shit* protection.

if noone can advise me dlls i could register in system32,
i'm condemned to go back to flashplayer & its instability
involving crashes & window swapping.

Tharn

Unread post by Tharn » 2015-06-03, 23:31

Media Feature Pack is only for the N & KN editions of Windows 8.1, which are editions that lack most of the media functionality as well as Skype. If you have a regular Windows 8 version, then I would assume that Windows Media Foundation is working. You don't need to install any codec packs nor mess around in System32.

Alas, since you already tried Safe Mode, these aren't suggestions as much as speculation. Ever use a 'codec cleaner' or anything of the kind? You could also try getting rid of plugins such as Silverlight, Hola Addon and whatever else you're not using if only for testing purposes. Flash, Shockwave and Java should be fine to keep. Lastly, to restore Windows system files that might've been tampered with, you can always run an Admin Command Prompt and run the 'sfc /scannow' command.

seaside

Unread post by seaside » 2015-06-03, 23:56

i had already disabled silverlight & hola unsuccessfully. & if i didnt need or had media foundation, i don't see why my win8 N would accept to install it until failing at the configuration process..
i most probably don't have media foundation, & this "'sfc /scannow' command" causes more mess than anything, when a system has been registry cleaned, updated, tweaked over years. &
i don't know what a codec cleaner can bring if i don't have the required codec or dll to play mp4 in html5 but i can give it a try..

Tharn

Unread post by Tharn » 2015-06-03, 23:58

If you DO have Windows 8 N then yes, you are correct and you need that patch to have all WMF functionality. That would explain your issue.

And no, 'sfc /scannow' is perfectly safe and only restores system files that have been tampered with. It doesn't touch the registry nor any custom policy settings you might've set. It does however undo any theme .dll & explorer hacks required to use some third party themes.

My mention of a codec cleaner was that if you'd used one in the past, it might explain why it's not working now. Please don't use one. ;)

seaside

Unread post by seaside » 2015-06-04, 01:07

registering windows media foundation manually if i had the files, could have helped or an unattended version of wmf.. but i can't find any unfortunately