Plugins update link gone

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Twin-Six

Plugins update link gone

Unread post by Twin-Six » 2015-05-14, 18:38

After I updated Pale Moon from 25.3.2 to 25.4.1, the Addons page Plugins tab no longer has a link to look for updates, even with Firefox Compatibility mode checked. This is so for both Pale Moon x64 and Pale Moon for Windows XP from Binary Outcast.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Plugins update link gone

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-05-14, 20:45

It's in the release notes:
Removed the plugin check link from the Addons Manager, since it's no longer reliable and not officially available for browsers except Mozilla Firefox. (Bonus: no user profiling/tracking through optimizely!)
http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

Reading those would have saved you registering on the forum and making a post for something that's already posted.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-05-15, 00:03

Two questions, will you make your own "are my plugins up to date" page for us or do we have to just check them manually?
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

squarefractal

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-05-15, 12:48

It should be noted that the check plugins link does work with Pale Moon with Firefox compatibility enabled... was it necessary for it to be removed just because it doesn't work with compatmode off?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-05-15, 13:15

Short Answer: Yes

Long Answer: As a Mozilla service it is geared to work ONLY with Firefox, as usual, but even then it had issues staying functional. It is in the plans to try and recreate its functionality least to some degree for the Pale Moon project IF the userbase is dead set that it is a needed service. However, our own block list does essentially the same thing if a plugin is insecure.

However, after evaluation of the situtation there seemed to be little point to point to an unreliable Mozilla service. To be clear this functionality was not removed perse from the browser but simply commented out (so removed in that it isn't present but not removed in that it can be uncommitted and restored easily in source)

intofix

Unread post by intofix » 2015-05-30, 00:53

The only plugin i have is Flash ESR v13, Mozilla says my plugin is outdated, keep it commented out please.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-05-30, 11:15

intofix wrote:The only plugin i have is Flash ESR v13, Mozilla says my plugin is outdated, keep it commented out please.
If it ever comes back it will be our own service which will not be overly paranoid in what is called "outdated".
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

intofix

Unread post by intofix » 2015-05-30, 12:12

Moonchild wrote:If it ever comes back it will be our own service which will not be overly paranoid in what is called "outdated".
No need this "service" personally, when i want fresh and true infos about security i go here: http://securitygarden.blogspot.fr/
In addition no need for me to be redirected to the Adobe/McAfee bullshit to have my pcs in good working condition.
Off-topic:
http://securitygarden.blogspot.fr/2015/ ... eased.html

I like this site: "Personally, this seems like a whole lot of nonsense to me and a wasted effort on the part of Mozilla.org to increase its following. It is nonsense like that that convinces me further that I made the right decision to switch to Pale Moon." :twisted: