Flash keeps crashing palemoon?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

cooperb21

Flash keeps crashing palemoon?

Unread post by cooperb21 » 2015-02-10, 08:15

Im not sure why but lately any firefox based browser that uses youtube for me will randomly crash. It usually happens with watching a video and scrolling down to comments on youtube. Its happen for me using palemoon, cyberfox and firefox. Internet explorer and chrome work fine with no crashing.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Flash keeps crashing palemoon?

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-02-10, 11:04

I watch YouTube videos when doing research for music, linux disros, information on Microsoft Windows OS, etc. In 32 bit Pale Moon 25.2.1 for Windows (7) and in 64 bit linux Pale Moon for linux (Mint 17 & 17.1), I've never had Pale Moon crash when viewing YouTube. I can also scroll down to read the comments from other viewers and again, Pale Moon does not crash.

In Windows, I use Flash 16.0.0.305 and in linux Mint, I use Flash (11.2.202.442). The only ad blocking extension I use is Adblock Latitude 3.0.2 for Pale Moon in Windows and in linux Mint. For YouTube, ABL is enabled (checked).

In Windows, I use free Avast anti-virus which I've configured to my liking and the free Comodo Firewall and again, configured to my liking. I use no anti-virus in linux Mint.

From looking at my Pale Moon setup in both Windows and in linux Mint, I think it has to be something wrong on your end.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2015-02-10, 12:17

So it could be the Flash plugin that's common to all 3 affected browsers. Uninstall it and download/install a fresh version, Corrine's blog has the uninstall tool link and clean, direct links to the latest Flash versions.

cooperb21

Unread post by cooperb21 » 2015-02-11, 20:12

None of that worked still crashing :(

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2015-02-12, 01:01

I'd try the ESR Flash version.

cooperb21

Unread post by cooperb21 » 2015-02-12, 04:59

helloimustbegoing wrote:I'd try the ESR Flash version.
No idea what that is or what to do. I just download latest flash player from adobe.

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by CraigPD » 2015-02-12, 05:46

cooperb21 wrote:
No idea what that is or what to do. I just download latest flash player from adobe.
Extended Support Release - Flash Player 13.0.0.269
Windows Plugin-based browsers - Download EXE Installer

cooperb21

Unread post by cooperb21 » 2015-02-12, 06:21

CraigPD wrote:
cooperb21 wrote:
Extended Support Release - Flash Player 13.0.0.269
Windows Plugin-based browsers - Download EXE Installer
Thanks ill try that

Glenn1963

Unread post by Glenn1963 » 2015-02-13, 07:16

I am experiencing the identical behavior lately, Pale Moon X64 Windows 8.1.

Scrolling down to the comments in Youtube has, a few times over the past few days, made PM busy and unresponsive.

Killing the plugin-container.exe process lets me reload the page without having to kill PM.

Just got a Flash Player update today and the issue remains.

I mention this mostly so that cooperb21 isn't alone in this! :)

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2015-02-13, 13:30

I get complete hangs on my browser when I watch fullscreen sometimes, it must be Flash, since it happens outside of YouTube as well.
Clean-installed Flash and still occurred, I guess turning off HW Acceleration might do the trick, since that's when I hardly had any issues.

Then again, I have tons of YT tabs open, not that I am seeing all at the same time, nor switching, but just the fact that I have many, Flash can't keep up with me and it starts to pump the memory to pretend to keep up. (This could be soley my imagination)

Clearing the point, Palemoon is not crashing, never had.

P.S. Scrolling-down and having the browser unresponsive is the fault of YT always changing their layout, even if it is not visible changes, background changes affect performance.

cooperb21

Unread post by cooperb21 » 2015-02-13, 18:14

megaman wrote:I get complete hangs on my browser when I watch fullscreen sometimes, it must be Flash, since it happens outside of YouTube as well.
Clean-installed Flash and still occurred, I guess turning off HW Acceleration might do the trick, since that's when I hardly had any issues.

Then again, I have tons of YT tabs open, not that I am seeing all at the same time, nor switching, but just the fact that I have many, Flash can't keep up with me and it starts to pump the memory to pretend to keep up. (This could be soley my imagination)

Clearing the point, Palemoon is not crashing, never had.

P.S. Scrolling-down and having the browser unresponsive is the fault of YT always changing their layout, even if it is not visible changes, background changes affect performance.
The only place it ever crashes is youtube which makes me wonder if its really flash or youtube bug or browser bug.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2015-02-13, 18:47

We can pinpoint Flash, but what are your add-ons?

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2015-02-13, 22:49

Did you try the ESR version yet?

cooperb21

Unread post by cooperb21 » 2015-02-14, 22:33

Ok esr seems be working but im wondering is it as secure as newest version and is it updated and do i need to manually update.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-02-14, 23:50

cooperb21 wrote:Ok esr seems be working but im wondering is it as secure as newest version and is it updated and do i need to manually update.
It's called "ESR" for a reason -- they extend their support with all security updates while otherwise maintaining a stable base. It should also automatically update with security updates whenever they are released.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

cooperb21

Unread post by cooperb21 » 2015-02-15, 02:20

Moonchild wrote:
cooperb21 wrote:Ok esr seems be working but im wondering is it as secure as newest version and is it updated and do i need to manually update.
It's called "ESR" for a reason -- they extend their support with all security updates while otherwise maintaining a stable base. It should also automatically update with security updates whenever they are released.
Ok I was just wondering because when I installed it and choose auto updates it went back to version latest and not esr.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-02-17, 05:14

I know I'm posting late in this discussion, so excuse me. But I have flash v13.0.0.269 ESR and it now has updated to v16.0.0.305, was wondering if it's still the ESR version and do I find out if it's not?
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-02-17, 05:50

LimboSlam wrote:I know I'm posting late in this discussion, so excuse me. But I have flash v13.0.0.269 ESR and it now has updated to v16.0.0.305, was wondering if it's still the ESR version and do I find out if it's not?
16.* is not the ESR version.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-02-17, 07:41

That's good to know, so to stop it from updating again do I select "Notify me to install updates" in the flash's settings panel?
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-02-17, 07:56

LimboSlam wrote:That's good to know, so to stop it from updating again do I select "Notify me to install updates" in the flash's settings panel?
Yes, which I believe actually is the default for ESR 13.* when installed.