Getting Adobe flash (or using other flash add-on?)

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

KamiXP

Getting Adobe flash (or using other flash add-on?)

Unread post by KamiXP » 2015-01-14, 07:41

I'm glad I finally found a forum thread that mentioned Adobe Flash.

All I want to do is be able to watch news videos in the browser. I already had Adobe Flash loaded in IE8 (still running XP, SP3), but installed it again from within this browser, believing it would know how to install itself into Pale Moon.

No, guess not.

I have downloaded the thing four times now and still can't figure out how to get it into the add-ons. There's already some kind of add-on there that has flash in the name, but it took me to some unknown site, and I wasn't comfortable downloading whatever it offered. I don't know much about add-ons, plug-ins or extensions, as far as the difference between them.

If I can't figure it out, guess I'll just copy the link each time I want to view a video, and do it in IE or another browser.

Otherwise, I like Pale Moon.
It's the first time in many moons I've been able to have a pleasant facebook experience, which counts for a lot with me.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Getting Adobe flash (or using other flash add-on?)

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-01-14, 10:59

You have to download Flash for Plugin Based Browsers.

Latest (As of this post) Version (Flash 16): http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_16_plugin.exe

Legacy Version (Flash 11.7 ESR): ftp://archive:get@ftp.palemoon.org/misc/flashplayer_11_7r700_279_win.exe

Whatever "Flash" thing you have in Pale Moon.. Remove it cause it sounds like it could be malicious.. Also run an anti-virus/anti-malware scan.
Off-topic:
Also, I hope you are running Pale Moon for XP from BinOC ;)

KamiXP

Unread post by KamiXP » 2015-01-14, 12:05

I'm using the Pale Moon for Intel atom processors, the one (sort of) recommended by the main download site, since Pale Moon isn't supporting XP anymore. It said the other versions might go away in July, so I didn't use the BO link cause of that.
Not that my hard drive will last until July, probably not.

The flash link came with the Atom version download, at least I assume it did, since it came up as one of the results when I searched for add-ons with 'flash' while in the Tools menu. I didn't download anything, since I was tired of reading stuff and had no idea if it was what I needed or who they were, and I believe now it was just for downloading videos.

Is there a great difference between the two builds (Atom and Binary Outcast)? I might switch if it would be more user friendly.

Am running a minimum of stuff on this machine, since it has uttered the click of death a few times. Sometimes windows reboots ok, but a couple of times I've had to repair disk errors with the XP install CD, so I know its days are numbered. Mainly it's used to shop for a new machine, nothing important being done on it. I can't help feeling nostalgic about XP...

Thx for the links, will follow and hope the flash works.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-01-14, 17:23

Pale Moon for Windows XP is built like the main-line version with all the features of Pale Moon. While Pale Moon for Atom is XP Compatible (Because so many netbooks are stuck with XP as the only option) it is optimized for Intel Atom processors. So it has some defaults for Atom and doesn't come with devtools.

Anyway, please pay attention to the different types of Add-ons which include extensions, themes, and plugins. They are not the same thing. What is the exact name for whatever it was you installed before from search.

KamiXP

Unread post by KamiXP » 2015-01-15, 00:25

I installed only Pale Moon Atom browser, from their site.

The flash type software I did not download had a home page of www.fnvfox.com, and it was listed from within the add-ons manager in the browser. It is just a helper tool for downloading videos, it looks like. Hope this helps.