Oracle Java version 8 update 5

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Robert2

Oracle Java version 8 update 5

Unread post by Robert2 » 2014-04-25, 04:39

When I check my Pale Moon plugins for updates, I am automatically directed to https://www.java.com/download/

But I don’t use the download from Java.com. I use the version available from Oracle, which always seems more recent (http://download.oracle.com/otn-pub/java/jdk/8u5-b13/jre-8u5-windows-x64.exe).

What gives?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Oracle Java version 8 update 5

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-04-25, 08:01

Java 7 U 55 is the most recent JRE for end-users. Java 8 U 5 is available for developers; and if you go to Oracle.com's "Downloads" -> "Java for your computer" it will forward you to java.com's download page.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Robert2

Unread post by Robert2 » 2014-04-25, 09:55

Java 8 U 5 and Pale Moon Version: 24.4.2 (x64) seem to agree with each other perfectly.
Is there any potential problem in using Java 8 U 5 instead of Java 7 U 55?

Robert2

Unread post by Robert2 » 2014-04-25, 10:17

Here is from Java SE Downloads:
Java SE 8u5
This release includes important security fixes. Oracle strongly recommends that all Java SE 8 users upgrade to this release.
Which Java package do I need?
Software Developers: JDK (Java SE Development Kit). For Java Developers. Includes a complete JRE plus tools for developing, debugging, and monitoring Java applications.

Administrators running applications on a server: Server JRE (Server Java Runtime Environment) For deploying Java applications on servers. Includes tools for JVM monitoring and tools commonly required for server applications, but does not include browser integration (the Java plug-in), auto-update, nor an installer. Learn more arrow

End user running Java on a desktop: JRE: (Java Runtime Environment). Covers most end-users needs. Contains everything required to run Java applications on your system.
The “End-user” JRE button on this same page takes visitors to Java SE Runtime Environment 8 Downloads

And the download links are for the “8u5” version.

What gives?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-04-25, 10:22

"What Gives" is that Oracle apparently is inconsistent in which java version they recommend for end-users.

In any case, that's not a Pale Moon controlled thing and should be taken up with Oracle.

Also, moving this thread to add-ons and plugins where it belongs ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-04-25, 11:02

Since I'm not a developer, I use the Java link for end users so on Windows 7, I'm using the present Version 7 Update 55.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

opera1215b1748

Unread post by opera1215b1748 » 2014-04-28, 08:01

I've visited the download link - seems v8u5 is now the recommended JRE version.

But apparently it is NOT for winXP, the insaller complains on some missing function call in some DLL.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2014-04-28, 08:22

Windows XP has no more support, so why build software for this OS?
No shame for doing this.

opera1215b1748

Unread post by opera1215b1748 » 2014-04-28, 09:45

I'm preparing to migrate to POSReady2009 which is supported till 2019.
I wonder if v8u5 will install?
Lots of embedded devices use JAVA, so theoretically v8 should support POSReady2009.

I will report later.

Aggelos

Unread post by Aggelos » 2014-06-09, 21:33

Greets,

I am using PM 64bit, with the Oracle Java 8u5 and there do not seem to be any 'new' problems. All seems to be jiffy fast and no issues with YT or other sites.

Win 7-64 Pro is the OS.

I had a few pre-existing PM issues under 32 bit and 64 bit PM with Java 7 ( 32/64 ) and had gambled that moving to 8u5 might help. It did not. Still, I am quite pleased with PM 64 bit and the Java 8u5.

PRider

Unread post by PRider » 2014-12-19, 07:16

Not having luck deploying java 8 or even a silver light download
simply will not install...
my desktop runs all that nicely with less ram