Adobe Flash

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

hickoryshirt

Adobe Flash

Unread post by hickoryshirt » 2014-04-04, 00:12

Perhaps this has already been discussed but I couldn't find a thread. When I download Adobe Flash Player the latest 64 bit version it installs as Macromedia shockwave player. Why? When I go to one particular site to design a new image for my credit card it says I need to install Abobe flash. No matter what I do I cannot install Adobe flash. I have totally uninstalled shockwave player with the player uninstall tool. Removed the plugin from Palemoon from the windows sys wow files etc . But reinstalling Adobe flash puts it all back there.

access2godzilla

Re: Adobe Flash

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-04-04, 11:00

hickoryshirt

Unread post by hickoryshirt » 2014-04-04, 19:39

Thanks so much. I will try that.

Jim

Daikun
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Daikun » 2014-04-05, 11:02

Macromedia Shockwave and Adobe Flash are the same thing. Adobe acquired Macromedia years ago.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-04-08, 21:16

Just a reminder. The new Flash Player version is out today (13.0.0.182).

http://www.adobe.com/

I had to update Flash on all 4 of my computers for Windows 7.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-04-28, 12:56

Another version of Flash is out. It's version 13.0.0.206 so I guess Adobe had a problem with the previous version since the previous version was released 3 weeks ago.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2014-04-28, 13:49

Possibly in reaction to this: http://www.fireeye.com/blog/uncategoriz ... tacks.html where disabling Flash ActiveX is reported to foil the exploit.

I don't see any release notes yet, though.

hickoryshirt

Unread post by hickoryshirt » 2014-04-28, 17:35

Even using the link you supplied it still installs Macromedia flash for Pale Moon. Firefox installs Adobe flash player. I realize that Adobe bought out Macromedia by why would Pale Moon opt for it? Seems Odd. Regardless it is now working.

Jim

tribaljet
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by tribaljet » 2014-04-28, 18:06

Also, this new update is supposed to fix a random temporary .flv freezing that happened on 13.0.0.182.
Portuguese translator of Pale Moon

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2014-04-28, 18:53

The Flash update doesn't fix the exploit MS are trying to scare XP users with ;) it fixes some reported by Kaspersky: http://www.securelist.com/en/blog/8212/ ... le_attacks

There could be another update in a few days ... for Flash ActiveX users, at least.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-04-28, 19:40

satrow wrote:There could be another update in a few days ... for Flash ActiveX users, at least.
Since I have Internet Explorer 9 installed in Windows 7 on all four of my computers, I'll have to be on the look out for this next version concerning ActiveX. I don't really use Internet Explorer, but I like to keep my programs up to date.

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2014-04-28, 23:20

Further digging:
Note that the bug isn't in Flash, so this is not something Adobe can fix, nor its it Adobe's fault.

^ and the easy 'fixes': http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2014/04 ... +Sophos%29

Corrine
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Corrine » 2014-04-29, 17:53

satrow wrote:There could be another update in a few days ... for Flash ActiveX users, at least.
An ActiveX update was included in the Flash Player update released yesterday. The Flash Player update was for CVE-2014-0515. The updated needed for the IE zero-day vulnerability (CVE-2014-1776) has to be made by Microsoft, not Adobe Flash Player.

As to obtaining Flash Player updates, to avoid unwanted extras, I recommend using the direct download links:

Non-IE (Opera, Firefox, Etc.): http://download.macromedia.com/get/flas ... plugin.exe
Windows XP, Vista and 7: Flash Player For Internet Explorer 7, 8, 9, 10, 11: http://download.macromedia.com/get/flas ... tive_x.exe
Windows 8 and 8.1: Flash Player for Internet Explorer 10 and 11: Microsoft updated Security Advisory 2755801.
Night Wing wrote:Since I have Internet Explorer 9 installed in Windows 7 on all four of my computers, I'll have to be on the look out for this next version concerning ActiveX. I don't really use Internet Explorer, but I like to keep my programs up to date.
If you like to keep your programs up to date, why haven't you updated IE to Internet Explorer 11?

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-04-29, 18:46

Corrine wrote:
Night Wing wrote:Since I have Internet Explorer 9 installed in Windows 7 on all four of my computers, I'll have to be on the look out for this next version concerning ActiveX. I don't really use Internet Explorer, but I like to keep my programs up to date.
If you like to keep your programs up to date, why haven't you updated IE to Internet Explorer 11?
Internet Explorer 10 was released for Windows 8 and then Internet Exlorer 11 was released for Windows (8.1).

The problem was, when Microsoft sent me the update for Internet Explorer 10, it also included the binary platform update whose number is KB 2670838. One of my desktop tower computers didn't like Internet Explorer 10 since the drop down menus didn't work for File, Edit, View, Favorites, and Help.

When I tried to revert back to Internet Explorer 9, it wouldn't revert. All I got for 2 hours of time was the blue colored screen which said, "Please don't turn off your computer, etc". After waiting for 2 hours, I did a hard shut down on the desktop computer. This basically corrupted the Windows Updater. In other words, I could never install any Microsoft updates after this incident.

I had to wipe my hard drive and then re-install Windows 7, re-did my computer settings, do all the security updates except this time when it came to the updates for KB 2670838, Internet Explorer 10 & 11, I hid those updates. I hid the Bing desktop updates too. Re-installed all of my Windows programs I use which also included those program's files . Total time wasted to re-do the computer, 4 hours.

As far as I'm concerned; Internet Explorer 10, 11 and that KB 2670838 update were made specifically designed for Windows 8/8.1 and then back ported back to Windows 7.

When all is said and done, I wasn't going to make the same mistake twice with these updates and none of these updates are on any of my four computers which have Windows 7 on them.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-05-13, 23:24

Flash has updated to a new version number: 13.0.0.214

sIDcORK

Unread post by sIDcORK » 2014-05-14, 06:31

The ESR version of Flash is version 13 as of today https://forums.adobe.com/thread/889580

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2014-05-14, 08:19

sIDcORK wrote:The ESR version of Flash is version 13 as of today https://forums.adobe.com/thread/889580
... if you encounter difficulties and require the 11.7 release, here are direct links to the installers.
And the direct links are to Flash 13 ... nice work, Adobe.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-05-14, 10:47

I'm not going to use Flash 13. screw that.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2014-05-16, 01:56

For the record, I've been using Shumway as an Adobe Flash Player replacement since it's released. I must say it's not as wonderful as I first thought :mrgreen: but it's HTML5 software libre & opensourced technology at least and I'll always love to give a shot to this kinda stuff before tryin' scary, buggy plugins. ;)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-05-16, 07:34

Unfortunately html5 shims are always going to be severely lacking - there have been several different efforts to make replacements this way so far, and the problem is that Adobe Flash is closed source, so you can simulate from scratch only (reverse-engineering is normally also strictly forbidden for that type of software) by writing a brand new interpreter for the one thing you have: flash coding.

What the web really needs to move forward is something new that doesn't try to emulate the flash plugin. I think the pivotal tool to have there would be a (very) user-friendly editor to create content in the new method, and not just work on a plugin to display it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite