Flash Player Crashes to a Facebook Game [SOLVED]

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

SparkY

Flash Player Crashes to a Facebook Game [SOLVED]

Unread post by SparkY » 2014-02-14, 14:43

The game is called Undersiege on facebook, the flash player loads till 73% and after that it crashes, other browsers like firefox,chrome, opera, explorer work just fine. I have tried reinstalling or even installing older version of flash player but it is still the same problem. I have the feeling that the flash player suddenly get too much RAM usage for which palemoon can not supply him that fast, and it forces him to crash... Anyone :)
Last edited by SparkY on 2014-03-11, 00:05, edited 1 time in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Flash Player Crashes to a facebook game

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-02-14, 18:37

You've got 17 views on this topic as of my post, but you might have to wait on an answer. I don't have a Facebook account and some of the posters who've been on this site for awhile don't have one either.

Just don't want for you to be feel snubbed.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

SparkY

Unread post by SparkY » 2014-02-14, 20:50

I thought that many of you wont have an facebook account, so I went on a search of finding another similar (by RAM usage) flash game that will cause the same problem. And I found it ...
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/620540

Check the link and I`m waiting for replies of how to fix this problem ... :)

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-02-14, 21:07

I clicked on the link and up came the Unit Commander game. I had to listen to an Helzberg Diamonds ad, then the Flash player plug-in crashed. Then I had to listen to a Polygrip ad and then the Unit Commander game came up again and this time Flash didn't crash so I could play the game.

BTW, nice game.

I'm only a non-technical computer user, not a power user, so all I can do is confirm you are correct that Flash crashes (at least on the first time the game loads). Someone should be along with more knowledge about Flash than me and I'm sure they'll try to figure what's happening between Pale Moon and Flash. Incidentally, this crash happened in linux SolydX.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

SparkY

Unread post by SparkY » 2014-02-14, 21:32

Well I have a Windows Xp Sp3 and when it crashes it crashes no matter what I do, I could not start the game even if I try 1000 times, so no idea what kind of game it is :)

I`m glad you like it :)

But from the graphics I saw while loading the game to a certain point, I bet the Flash eats a lot of RAM and then comes the problem...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-02-14, 21:52

Exactly how much RAM and video memory do you have? have you tried using an earlier version of Flash like 11.7?

EDIT: I checked the newgrounds game and it's really using a silly amount of memory - 140MB just loading up the playing field (in flash 11.7, don't dare to check what it would be in v12); they should have used something like gamemaker or something. That's bad game design right there, I'm not surprised it would crash Flash on a low-resource machine. ;-)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-02-15, 03:00

On this desktop I'm typing this post on, it has 16 GB of memory.

SparkY

Unread post by SparkY » 2014-02-15, 09:55

The newgrounds game was an example of how high RAM usage game crash the flash player on palemoon. The Undersiege is a high quality game and that`s why it needs a lot of RAM. I have 4 GB RAM and I don`t think that this has anything with the amount of memory the system has, cause the game works fine on the other 4 browsers.

As I said I tried few older versions of flash down to 11.7 and no luck with palemoon, whereas the other work just fine with the newest.

The problem is between palemoon and flash, I have the feeling that flash is requiring too much RAM in a instance and palemoon can not supply him that fast, and instead of supplying him with those enormous amounts of RAM it decides it is better to crash it and save the system of doing all the work. I`m not an IT guy, but to me it looks like that :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-02-15, 10:26

I'm sorry, but a plugin crashing because it can't handle something is most likely the plugin's problem, don't you think? ;)

To explain how flash works:
  • Pale Moon creates a container for the plugin.
  • It launches plugin-container.exe that acts as a shell for the plugin to run in (a good thing, otherwise each Flash crash would have crashed your browser as a whole).
  • Flash's plugin doesn't actually even run in that container, but instead launches yet another process of its own.
  • That external process is what runs your flash game. Pale Moon doesn't "hand memory" to Flash, in fact, all it does is display the output of the plugin as handed to it in the container on the web page.
So... Pale Moon has nothing to do with how a heavy game would be loaded in Flash, since that is handled in the separate flash process.

Now, as to the question why it crashes in Pale Moon and not in other browsers - it may have to do with "too many security mechanisms" stacked on top of each other, especially if Pale moon itself is being scrutinized by third part software. It's difficult to troubleshoot but there are a few things to try.

First off, if Pale Moon is being sandboxed/quarantined by antivirus software or internet security software, then make sure to make an exception (add to an exception list or indicate pale moon and the plugin container (palemoon.exe and plugin-container.exe) as trusted programs). Also make sure both have unrestricted access to the internet (incoming and outgoing traffic).
You can also try to change the way Flash handles its own sandbox by disabling its protected mode (Since Pale Moon already uses a protected mode of its own), see http://techdows.com/2012/06/disable-fla ... refox.html
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

SparkY

Unread post by SparkY » 2014-02-15, 11:15

As a security issue to be blocked from a third part software it is not, cause it is added as a exception and the flash runs fine on palemoon for low-medium RAM usage applications or games.
I tried the solution in the link you provided it did not worked...
So far flash crashes on palemoon for those 2 games I mention before, for everything else it is running smoothly.

SparkY

Unread post by SparkY » 2014-03-11, 00:04

I like to inform, that the problem was solved, when the new version of palemoon was released ( the version of flash that I have stayed the same). Now all the games with high usage of RAM are playable without crashing the flash player.

Nice Job :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Flash Player Crashes to a Facebook Game [SOLVED]

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-03-11, 06:07

Glad to hear that my work on the back-end and build process has solved this issue for you. Unexpected bonus! :)