How to play DivX in 64-bit PM?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

__A+2_h

How to play DivX in 64-bit PM?

Unread post by __A+2_h » 2013-12-13, 09:56

Even though somebody here (in a now-locked, 2 yr-old thread) claimed that DivX plugins work in 64-bit browsers, I can't find any mention of this on the DivX website -- but much more importantly, their plug-in doesn't work in my 64-bit Pale Moon version.

I'm only running into this issue on one site (stagevu.com) which requires the DivX Plus Web Player to play streaming videos, so it's not a huge issue. But I'm curious how others solve this. Is there maybe a work-around? Or do you just resort to using a different, 32-bit browser when you run into a plug-in issue like this?

jorjolle

Re: How to play DivX in 64-bit PM?

Unread post by jorjolle » 2013-12-13, 12:39

hi,
download x64 version of vlc:
http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win64/last/
it will install VLC web plugin on your x64 PaleMoon - works great on stagevu.com

__A+2_h

Unread post by __A+2_h » 2013-12-13, 23:36

Oh! That's great! I didn't think there'd be a way around it.

One question, tho: do I need to use one of the nightly builds? I'm a bit chicken with those.

Forget that I asked that! :oops: But maybe you can tell me if there's any way I could install just the browser plugin? I'm a bit wary of installing yet another media player -- I used to use VLC but stopped for a really good reason, that I can't recall right now. Then I switched to MPC Home Cinema and am now totally satisfied with that and wouldn't want to change it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-12-14, 03:50

I'm surprised stagevu would choose to use divx for streaming video, to begin with :P

The VLC "plugin" will probably require the rest of the player to be installed. I personally always found VLC to be both unnecessarily bloated and functionally underperforming (especially in the sound/downmix department) so I can't help with any experience I have.

Media plugin availability for x64 is still a big problem - that's why it's a clear warning on the Pale Moon x64 web page. You may be very limited in your choice and may have to choose between x64 + VLC, or using x86 and the DivX Web Player.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite