Npapi - Adobe Flash Player - Linux - Help needed!

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Npapi - Adobe Flash Player - Linux - Help needed!

Unread post by Night Wing » 2021-01-26, 12:22

@ Cassiopeya

As I suspected, you've messed up Flash and you'll have to try and fix it by "purging" (which is slightly different than uninstalling) the entire Flash version you downloaded and installed from the Adobe site by using the Mint terminal.

I'm not a power user in linux. Just a non-technical person who knows enough about linux (Mint) not to create headaches for myself. My achilles heel is the linux Terminal. In order to use the terminal, you have to know the geek command line commands to use the Terminal. I know what my strengths and weaknesses are in linux Mint and the Terminal is my "kryptonite" as they say.

But the Synaptic Package Manager is basically the linux Terminal for people like me when it comes to installing programs in the Mint repository where you don't have to go to a site and download a program and install things you shouldn't. I uninstall programs from the Mint repository using the Synaptic Package Manager also. Since I started using Mint back in late 2012 or early 2013, I've had to use the Terminal six (6) times since then which comes out to less than one (1) time per year.

Since you've created a mess with Flash from the Adobe site, you'll need to purge that version of Flash from Mint. The problem is, you'll need to know the "exact" command line commands to do that using the linux Terminal.

The best advice I can give for you is to become a member of the Mint forums and get in touch with a user named, "karlchen" (without the quote marks). He is the user who helped me when I started with Mint 14 back in late 2012 or early 2013. My Update Manager went on the fritz and wouldn't work anymore. It was nothing Mint had done or I had done. My ISP changed something and forgot to tell it's customers they made a change which affected my Mint Update Manager.

The user, karlchen, basically spoon fed me the commands to use in the linux terminal to repair the damage my ISP created. All I had to do was open the terminal and copy and paste the commands karlchen gave me in a message on the Mint forum. Karlchen is still on the Mint forum.

Now, one last item. Have you ever heard the old adage of........"look before you leap"? Well, in your case with going to the Adobe site, you....."leaped before you looked" and created a headache (aggravation and frustration) for yourself.

If there is a program not in the Mint repository which is accessed through the Synaptic Package Manager, you'll have to go to the site which has the program in a .deb file for Ubuntu since Mint is a fork of Ubuntu. Deb files are easily installed in Mint by the use of GDebi Package Installer. Once you download the tarball with the deb file in it, all you have to do to install the program is......."right click" on the tarball and a context window will open up and then you would "left click" on the words, "Install using GDebi Package Installer" and GDebi will do all the work automatically for you.

BTW, I know for a fact karlchen used at one time or is still using linux Pale Moon. But if that version of Flash cannot be purged, if you haven't used Timeshift and have no backups for Mint, then you might have to bite the bullet and re-install linux Mint 20 and I would suggest you install 20.1 instead.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Lins31

Unread post by Lins31 » 2021-01-26, 16:28

Help needed :oops:
Me and Cassi are using Cinnamon Mint but different versions (Ubuntu 18.04 and Ubuntu 19.10)
Both need npapi to run miramagia game - adobe flash player

Both Firefox and Chromium want to kill npapi :think:
Firefox killed npapi today :cry: and reset my login - its forgot everything
Waterfox (ok bad name :evil: ) also killed npapi today after it worked

Help needed - maidens in distress :shock:
How do we put libflashplayer.so into plugins for palemoon (without firefox)

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2021-01-26, 17:11

Lins31 wrote:
2021-01-26, 16:28
Help needed :oops:
Me and Cassi are using Cinnamon Mint but different versions (Ubuntu 18.04 and Ubuntu 19.10)
Both need npapi to run miramagia game - adobe flash player

Both Firefox and Chromium want to kill npapi :think:
Firefox killed npapi today :cry: and reset my login - its forgot everything
Waterfox (ok bad name :evil: ) also killed npapi today after it worked

Help needed - maidens in distress :shock:
How do we put libflashplayer.so into plugins for palemoon (without firefox)
I did just that.i run the flash plugin just fine in palemoon without firefox being installed.In one of my previous posts i provided the filepath to which libflashplayer.so needs to be placed.I cannot understand why your having such issues.
I downloaded v32.0.0.171 from the internet archive.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Lins31

Unread post by Lins31 » 2021-01-26, 21:35

I have been logged into Palemoon , and my game Miramagia for ~ 48 hours
I am frightened to log off - in case I loose the game :think:

I am trying to help Cassi logon to our game
Both of us have (Palemoon) in about:plugins
Adobe Flash
File: libflashplayer.so
Path: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
Version: 28.0.0.161
State: Enabled
Shockwave Flash 28.0 r0

She is using my tar.gz from adobe downloaded some time ago
(others failed to work)

Cassi is getting error msg at Miramagia login page - #2032 (also from Firefox)
I get error msg at Miramagia login page - #2046 (Waterfox and Firefox)

To get to error msg - https://s1.miramagia.com/game.php
This will give logon screen :)

Lins31

Unread post by Lins31 » 2021-01-29, 23:15

I lost my game - about 4 hours after post - i did refresh :eh:

Ive looked everywhere :shock:
In Palemoon folder - a json file with correct date time stamp - called oldversion.json
Is this why i cant log on to my game again? :problem:

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2021-01-30, 00:02

@lins 31.
Are you able to download the swf file for the game on to your computer.?

Pale moon 29.4.1

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-01-30, 11:50

I gave it another go today and it seems to work just fine, no errors.
Attachments
miramagia1.jpg
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Cassiopeya
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Cassiopeya » 2021-01-30, 16:39

how did you do?
I asked for help in the Mint forum but I got none..

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-01-30, 16:46

I'm on Windows so can't really help with the actual plugin installation, but the errors given seemed to be with the game service and not the plugin (since it initialized) and I wanted to check that -- and it seems to be fine, at least for this game server I connected to (which seems to be in Germany).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2021-01-30, 18:30

Cassiopeya wrote:
2021-01-30, 16:39
how did you do?
I asked for help in the Mint forum but I got none..
Are you sure about your above comment?

I took the liberty of finding your topic on the Mint forum. The link to it is below.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic. ... 7&t=341184

You got a few replies as you can see and if I'm reading it correctly, you tried one solution and it didn't work. But, there were two other solutions after that. One was by the user "mikeflan" and the other user was "sleeper12".

They both gave you some different codes to try and help you, but as you can see, you never reported back to them to let them know if their solutions worked for you or not.

If you haven't tried either one, I would first try "sleeper12's" code since I think a purge is the answer. It just depends on the correct coding for the purge.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Cassiopeya
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Cassiopeya » 2021-01-30, 18:45

Hi Night wing,

I tried both but my problem is still there.

I also explained in another thread that error 2032 appears to me, like I did here, but I was simply told that Flash is dead and nobody helped me.

maybe I put my questions in the wrong way, but no one gave me the instructions as you received

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2021-01-30, 21:38

Cassiopeya wrote:
2021-01-30, 18:45
Hi Night wing,

I tried both but my problem is still there.
Then let those users know about it and tell them your problem still exists. Basically, by not reporting back, you left then hanging.
I also explained in another thread that error 2032 appears to me, like I did here, but I was simply told that Flash is dead and nobody helped me.
Flash is dead. That is a fact. I visit a lot of beach webcams everyday because I like to sup surf and they, at one time, all used Flash. But, when Adobe announced it was going to kill off Flash, those cam sites I visit everyday, all eventually switched to HTML. And example of one of them is below and it has to be daylight to be seen.

https://hdontap.com/index.php/video/str ... h-surf-cam
maybe I put my questions in the wrong way, but no one gave me the instructions as you received
The instructions I gave you about the flash plugin is how I do it. They were never given to me. I researched if the programs I needed were in the Mint repository. If they were, by using YouTube, then I learned how to install them by using the Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) instead of the linux Terminal. And I made sure if I used the SPM to install them, I could also uninstall them by using the SPM. I always look before I leap.

The reason I went in detail how to use the SPM was because I didn't think you knew about the flash plugin in the Mint repository because you never mentioned it since you said you went to the Adobe site to get Flash "first". And if you didn't know about the Mint repository, you probably wouldn't know which program installed by default in Mint would allow you to reach the repository which is through the SPM. Hence, why I gave detailed instructions.

Many linux distros keep changing and some like Mint, go to a new version every six months. You are on Mint 20 (Ulyana) and I am on Mint 20.1 (Ulyssa). Come late June or early July of 2021, I will install 20.2 (and I don't know it's name as of this posting).

With lots of distros changing to newer versions, the old Flash plugins will no longer work in them even if some of them do now. That is just how it is.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-01-30, 21:46

Night Wing wrote:
2021-01-30, 21:38
Flash is dead. That is a fact. I visit a lot of beach webcams everyday
I wouldn't jump to conclusions based on that.
Streaming video was never a the original purpose for Flash. With other alternatives for that specifically available, it's only logical that webcam streams switched to html with it being native in browsers.
What the real power of flash is is interactive content -- whether it's a widget or a full game doesn't matter. And there is no good direct replacement for that -- html5 with buttloads of JS is still a crutch, and a lot of flash content simply cannot be translated or transcoded that easily because it was specifically designed for flash. So is it dead? I really don't think so. Did adobe pull the plug on something with tons of irreplaceable content? absolutely.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2021-01-30, 21:47

Night Wing wrote:
2021-01-30, 21:38
Many linux distros keep changing and some like Mint, go to a new version every six months. You are on Mint 20 (Ulyana) and I am on Mint 20.1 (Ulyssa). Come late June or early July of 2021, I will install 20.2 (and I don't know it's name as of this posting).

With lots of distros changing to newer versions, the old Flash plugins will no longer work in them even if some of them do now. That is just how it is.
Are you saying that now operating systems will be blocking flash? Do you have any links proving this statement?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2021-01-30, 21:58

ron_1 wrote:
2021-01-30, 21:47
Are you saying that now operating systems will be blocking flash? Do you have any links proving this statement?
When it comes specifically to the linux Mint distro which I use; yes, it is. And the link is below.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic. ... e#p1949173

I can't speak for Windows 10 since I don't use it and that is by my choice.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2021-01-30, 21:59

Well yeah, but you can still manually add flash. Or am I missing something?

Lins31

Unread post by Lins31 » 2021-01-30, 22:07

Im back in :clap:

Yes agree "flash is dead" - but its needed to do person to person interactions in game (and I love my game)

Finding games that have you inside the game - rather than outside controlling the game (also without war/killing things)
I can chat and interact with anyone in my game - not just by remote game email.
Example - I can turn them into a Unicorn and then chase them round the village as a Polar Bear ;) whilst doing short chat

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2021-01-30, 22:14

@ ron_1

When Adobe announced they were killing off Flash, the developers of Mint decided they would take out the Flash plugin and they did. You "might" be able to install an older linux version of Flash, but it will most likely not work in Mint.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2021-01-30, 22:26

I use xenial puppy linux which is static in nature,it is a frozen operating system if you like and it is up to the user if the wish to perform any updates.Linux mint is a bloated 1.8gb download but i can get everything i want or need with just the 330mb puppy download.

I have personally downloaded approximately 30,000 flash game files of my choosing to be run in version 11 of the adobe flash standalone player and i currently have not come across any flashfile which will not run in it.There is no chance of my operating system blocking flash because puppy does not auto update in any way.

Palemoon can be also used as a flash player for downloaded swf files as the palemoon plugin still retains the "always activate" button in the plugin..the flash files will not work in an "ask to activate" mode.I have not experienced any issues running local swf files or with the flash sites i use.

Pale moon 29.4.1

Lins31

Unread post by Lins31 » 2021-01-30, 22:37

Im in :)

Cassi - how to do it :P
First I turned off Google Flash - Google is playing many games - slap bottom - bad Google :evil:
(This doesnt affect older versions of Google installed - as they are unique packages)
I did the purge of any adobe software
I made sure usr/lib/mozilla/plugins was clean (renamed directory "old plugins" - create new plugins directory)
and copied libflashplayer.so back into new directory

Then :idea:
Renamed local file .mozilla (it now needs recreating!)
Its a hidden file on home

Then reboot - and back into PaleMoon
Im in :D