Newly installed Pale Moon does not recognise 4 out of 5 plugins availiable from Mozilla Firefox Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Anon27
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Newly installed Pale Moon does not recognise 4 out of 5 plugins availiable from Mozilla Firefox

Unread post by Anon27 » 2020-11-16, 05:44

Hello,
I'm very new here. I ceased updating Firefox in 2013 due to strongly disagreeing with the direction Mozilla was already taking back then, and which consummated itself five years later. Only recently I discovered Pale Moon and decided to emigrate from Mozilla Firefox 22 straight to Pale Moon 28. Whereas the transition has been mostly smooth (much smoother than I could have anticipated), a few problems did emerge, the two most pressing being that out of the 5 plugins I have (Adobe Acrobat 20.13.20064.12623 [C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AIR\nppdf32.dll], Microsoft Office 2010 14.0.4761.1000 [ C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~4\Office14\NPSPWRAP.DLL], Microsoft Office 2010 14.0.4730.1010 [C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~4\Office14\NPAUTHZ.DLL], Microsoft DRM 9.0.0.2980 [C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\npdrmv2.dll, C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\npwmsdrm.dll], Windows Live Photo Gallery 16.4.3528.331 [C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Photo Gallery\NPWLPG.dll]), Pale Moon 28.15.0 recognises only one (Microsoft Office 2010 14.0.4730.1010 [C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~4\Office14\NPAUTHZ.DLL]), and that I cannot access my G-Mail account from Pale Moon for some reason (I haven't searched the forum for a potential solution to this problem yet, if I can't find one I shall ask it on a different topic on a more appropriate category, though I'm fairly confident I can't be the first person to have this problem, so someone else must have probably asked it already). The reason I am asking this question on a new thread instead of conforming to what I believe might be two potential solutions from previous threads (viewtopic.php?t=14024, viewtopic.php?t=20554, viewtopic.php?t=10185) is because although one of these solutions (viewtopic.php?t=20554) apparently resolves all my plugin problems by simply copying pertinent files to C:\PortableApps\PaleMoon\Lib\Mozilla\Plugins\, I suspect, given that my computer does not have a folder C:\PortableApps\ and that Microsoft only began referring to computer programmes as though they were mobile device apps in Windows 8, that this solution would not apply to my Windows 7 SP2 computer (x64); as for the other solution (viewtopic.php?t=14024, viewtopic.php?t=10185), it would presumably allow me to read PDFs on Pale Moon by installing a different plugin, but it would not resolve my other 3 plugin-related but not PDF-related problems. By posting this new thread I'm hoping to find a solution that allows my new Pale Moon browser to recognise all 5 plugins that I already have installed instead (only one of which Pale Moon seems capable of identifying presently).
Thank you for your time,
@Anon27

P.S.: Please excuse my use of English if it is poor and/or sounds harsh and/or offensive; I am not a native speaker.

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Newly installed Pale Moon does not recognise 4 out of 5 plugins availiable from Mozilla Firefox

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2020-11-16, 11:31

DO you use the 64 bit version of Pale Moon?
As I know it need also 64 bit capable plugins to work and most developers don't care about NPAPI anymore.
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

Anon27
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Re: Newly installed Pale Moon does not recognise 4 out of 5 plugins availiable from Mozilla Firefox

Unread post by Anon27 » 2020-11-16, 19:03

Yes, I use Pale Moon x64. Guess that makes my plugins useless, then — unless maybe I downgrade to Pale Moon x86? Would you recommend me doing that? What are the disadvantages?

Incidentally, why has NPAPI fallen out of favour? What am I going to do without it? I mean, I suppose there's at least two possible x64 PDF plugins worth trying out and TBH I don't even know what the Photo Gallery plugin was for, but what about the Windows Media Player plugin? I really needed that to reproduce media files (from .mp3 and .wav all the way to .ogg and .midi, including anything in between) on Mozilla Firefox 22, is that going to be an issue in Pale Moon? Will I need a working replacement? Where can I find one?

P.S.: Sorry it seemed like I tried to post this thread twice yesterday, it wasn't intentional (internet connection problems)
P.P.S.: I haven't figured out how to edit posts yet (new here), so in case anyone is wondering, my e-mail problem is resolved (turns out my add-blocker [AB Latitude] was blocking ||gstatic.com^). Like I said, not pertinent to this discussion; I'll erase any references to this problem as soon as find out how.

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2020-11-16, 20:17

Pale Moon x86 has some disadvantages, like the memory it can allocate is much smaller, only a problem if you open many tabs and it allocates gigabytes of memory.
Incidentally, why has NPAPI fallen out of favour?
Because browsers implemented most functionality that addons provided.

Chrome included Flash as PPAPI, included a PDF reader (FF also did), and with HTML5 videos didn't need plugins anymore.
If I remember properly, Google killed NPAPI in 2015.
Although Chrome is the most used web browser, developers follow the big white whale.

The Windows media player plugin is also deprecated and I didn't find the original webpage anymore.

Anon27
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Anon27 » 2020-11-16, 21:57

Pentium4User wrote:
2020-11-16, 20:17
Pale Moon x86 has some disadvantages, like the memory it can allocate is much smaller, only a problem if you open many tabs and it allocates gigabytes of memory.
:cry: Too bad for a compulsive tab hoarder such as myself (I've officially had Pale Moon for 24h and my open tab count is now 18... my old FF had no less than 60 open tabs at all times, I think I hit 100 at one point... probably best to stay on x64, then) (but then again, I think it was on my old x86 laptop that I may have hit 100 tabs, so if Mozilla Firefox 22 x86 didn't break down over it, wouldn't the much more modern Pale Moon 28 x86 be able to handle it? what would you consider too many tabs for x86? would it help if I use an addon to "unload" inactive tabs [not sure what that means, TBH, but I saw one on the official PM website that does that] to try to save space?)

Pentium4User wrote:
I've tested it and it appears that Pale Moon x64 can indeed open sound files without NPAPI, so I guess I won't be needing the WMP plugin after all. However, it still lacks a native PDF viewing without NPAPI functionality; would you suggest I try an addon like JustOff's Moon PDF Viewer (which is allegedly not compatible with Pale Moon 28) or that I try an x64 plugin like PDF-XChange's or Sumatra PDF's?

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2020-11-17, 01:32

Off-topic:
Sealioning is a form of trolling that masquerades as a desire to understand.
There can be no expectation that current Pale Moon will load add-ons intended for current Firefox.
Likewise, current Firefox cannot load add-ons intended for current Pale Moon.
Mozilla split off from the person-serving web years ago, and changed their technology base to be incompatible with the goal of working for people. This change includes the entire add-ons ecosystem. If you want add-ons that will work with modern Pale Moon (and historical Firefox) then you will have to find a site other than Mozilla. More than half of the add-ons listed there are historical, and not compatible with current Firefox; as such their listings are fictional.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-11-17, 01:35

Anon27 wrote:
2020-11-16, 21:57
Too bad for a compulsive tab hoarder such as myself
Off-topic:
Why oh why don't you dozens, hundreds or thousands of tabs using weirdos use bookmarks when obviously the screen isn't capable of showing more than a dozen at a time and the addressbar by default searches both bookmarks and history when you start typing a part of the URL or page title? So many times we see people complain about the browser being slow and then only much later mention a tab count in the 3 or 4 digits. And then your session inevitably crashes one day and you lose all those tabs as opposed to if they had been saved as bookmarks, because, I don't know, you can't afford a couple of seconds to load the page when opened on demand and would rather have it always open, inflating the browser's RAM usage :coffee:
I have 1500+ bookmarks and can instantly summon any of them if I start typing the name.
Anon27 wrote:
would you suggest I try an addon like JustOff's Moon PDF Viewer
Try PDF Viewer from here.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Anon27
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Anon27 » 2020-11-17, 02:09

Bilbo47 wrote:
2020-11-17, 01:32
Off-topic:
Sealioning is a form of trolling that masquerades as a desire to understand.
There can be no expectation that current Pale Moon will load add-ons intended for current Firefox.
Likewise, current Firefox cannot load add-ons intended for current Pale Moon.
Mozilla split off from the person-serving web years ago, and changed their technology base to be incompatible with the goal of working for people. This change includes the entire add-ons ecosystem. If you want add-ons that will work with modern Pale Moon (and historical Firefox) then you will have to find a site other than Mozilla. More than half of the add-ons listed there are historical, and not compatible with current Firefox; as such their listings are fictional.
I'm afraid you posted this on the wrong thread. This thread said nothing of SeaLion prior to your post, nor of compatibility between current Pale Moon and historical Firefox add-ons. The only mention of Pale Moon add-ons was of JustOff's Moon PDF Viewer, which is designed (as both the name and the fact it is offered at https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/moon-pdf-viewer/ imply) for Pale Moon, not Firefox; there was no mention (or need) to load it on historical Firefox. Conversely, there was no mention of historical Firefox add-ons, but rather of Firefox plugins, which should be compatible with any Netscape Navigator-based browser, including Pale Moon (although, apparently, Pale Moon x64 is only compatible with x64 Firefox plugins). There is no mention of the Mozilla website in this thread.

Anon27
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Anon27 » 2020-11-17, 02:34

moonbat wrote:
2020-11-17, 01:35
Why oh why don't you dozens, hundreds or thousands of tabs using weirdos use bookmarks when obviously the screen isn't capable of showing more than a dozen at a time and the addressbar by default searches both bookmarks and history when you start typing a part of the URL or page title? So many times we see people complain about the browser being slow and then only much later mention a tab count in the 3 or 4 digits. And then your session inevitably crashes one day and you lose all those tabs as opposed to if they had been saved as bookmarks, because, I don't know, you can't afford a couple of seconds to load the page when opened on demand and would rather have it always open, inflating the browser's RAM usage :coffee:
Off-topic:
If a tab is worth hoarding, what page is currently exhibited in a tab is not as important as how it got there, i.e. the tab's navigation history that cannot be restored from history nor bookmarks once the tab is closed. If all that matters is the content the tab is currently showing, the tab is closed after it has been read; if the content will be relevant again, it is bookmarked and then closed. But then again, sometimes a certain tab or group of tabs is relevant to something you're doing that you are forced to stop, so you keep the tabs open in order to return to it eventually; I have been able to do so after interruptions of several months or even years. And keeping the tabs open, especially if you have Panorama, is useful to remind you that you have to go back to reading or watching it eventually, when you have time. And yes, I realise that is mostly rationalisation to justify my hoarding compulsion.
moonbat wrote:
2020-11-17, 01:35
Try PDF Viewer from here.
Thank you very much, that works perfectly!!!
(even though it's a SeaLion add-on, so don't tell @Bilbo47)

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-11-17, 02:39

Did you get a warning about being incompatible with Pale Moon in the addon manager after installing? I've had it for a long time but I think the extension natively targets Pale Moon like the ones on the addon site.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Anon27
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Anon27 » 2020-11-17, 03:37

Actually no, I didn't. Maybe it's because I installed a newer version? The last two versions (released April and June, 2020) are supposed to be compatible with Pale Moon 28; so far it's working 100% properly.
Attachments
PM addons.png
Last edited by Anon27 on 2020-11-17, 06:10, edited 2 times in total.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-11-17, 03:56

Yeah, that's what I meant - so the extension is officially compatible. I've had it for a very long time and couldn't recall if it originally was like that.

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2020-11-17, 05:19

Anon27 wrote:
Pentium4User wrote:
I've tested it and it appears that Pale Moon x64 can indeed open sound files without NPAPI, so I guess I won't be needing the WMP plugin after all. However, it still lacks a native PDF viewing without NPAPI functionality; would you suggest I try an addon like JustOff's Moon PDF Viewer (which is allegedly not compatible with Pale Moon 28) or that I try an x64 plugin like PDF-XChange's or Sumatra PDF's?
If they still offer an NPAPI plugin, then try out.
Although JustOff's PDF viewer isn't compatible, you cant use it anymore.

Anon27
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Anon27 » 2020-11-17, 11:46

Pentium4User wrote:
2020-11-17, 05:19
I have installed PDF-Xchange Editor 8.0.342.0 in order to try out its NPAPI plugin, but although it's always better to have a spare plugin than to not have one, I must admit I'll be sticking to the PDF Viewer add-on recommended by @moonbat as my default in-browser PDF reader — unless there's an x64 version of the Adobe Acrobat plugin, which is still the best in-browser PDF reader I have yet tried.

P.S.: Sumatra and Foxit are x86
Last edited by Anon27 on 2020-11-17, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-11-17, 12:35

Anon27 wrote:
2020-11-17, 11:46
unless there's an x64 version of the Adobe Acrobat plugin
Not gonna happen given that Firefox itself is dumping NPAPI support for good. The PDF Viewer addon is good to quickly preview a PDF before downloading it but for regular use nothing beats a dedicated application installed for it. This madness in fashion of throwing everything and the kitchen sink into the browser has got to stop.

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2020-11-17, 16:56

>Sealioning
you posted this on the wrong thread. there was no mention of ...
See what I mean ...
Anyhow Oops I had forgotten the distinction between Add-ons and Plugins.

lavabo

Unread post by lavabo » 2020-11-19, 08:33

Anon27 wrote:
2020-11-17, 11:46
Pentium4User wrote:
2020-11-17, 05:19
I have installed PDF-Xchange Editor 8.0.342.0 in order to try out its NPAPI plugin, but although it's always better to have a spare plugin than to not have one, I must admit I'll be sticking to the PDF Viewer add-on recommended by @moonbat as my default in-browser PDF reader — unless there's an x64 version of the Adobe Acrobat plugin, which is still the best in-browser PDF reader I have yet tried.

P.S.: Sumatra and Foxit are x86
I have the x64 plugin for sumatra here https://mega.nz/folder/qh5SXKJD#t-eW0Vuz9iBvz02Nw25j8g
and put so latest version of sumatra in the lib folder of PM.

Anon27
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Anon27 » 2020-11-20, 00:23

lavabo wrote:
2020-11-19, 08:33
I have the x64 plugin for sumatra here https://mega.nz/folder/qh5SXKJD#t-eW0Vuz9iBvz02Nw25j8g
and put so latest version of sumatra in the lib folder of PM.
Wow, that's awesome! Thanx, @lavabo! Er, I'm sort of embarrassed to ask, but... how do I install it? As in, which files do I have to download, and where should I download them? Do I have to run anything or just download it?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-11-21, 07:28

Anon27 wrote:
2020-11-20, 00:23
As in, which files do I have to download, and where should I download them? Do I have to run anything or just download it?
Exit Pale Moon if running, then copy all the .dlls from the corresponding directory for your architecture (32 or 64) to <palemoon installation directory>\plugins. Usually that will be under "C:\Program Files (x86)" if 32 bit and "C:\Program Files" if 64-bit.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-11-21, 10:07

Do NOT do this. Anything in the program directory could be clobbered at any time.

Moonbat, you're starting to pull non-solutions and incorrect conclusions out of your ass again. Please stop.