Flash Plug-in

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Flash Plug-in

Unread post by Moonraker » 2021-01-07, 09:42

I have been unable to find a more recent standalone flash player than version 11 for linux.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-01-07, 10:28

The downloads available through archive.org do require downloading the entire zipped folder, there's no way around that. It's not a standalone download. However the 32 bit standalone installer for linux is included in the zipped archive.
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2021-01-07, 12:07, edited 1 time in total.

hitokage
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hitokage » 2021-01-07, 11:07

There is an official way from Adobe to keep using Flash past the 12th without hacking the program binaries, and will work for Windows, MacOS, and Linux. I'm not sure if it only works with the downloads that were provided on the Flash Redistribution page or not, but it involves creating a mms.cfg configuration file in the appropriate location.
Will Flash Player still work after the EOL Date?

Adobe will block Flash content from running in Flash Player beginning January 12, 2021 to help secure users’ systems.

This can be overridden by using the domain-level allow list functionality available in Adobe’s latest release of Flash Player. Any use of the domain-level allow list after the EOL Date is strongly discouraged, will not be supported by Adobe, and is entirely at the user’s own risk. Please see the Flash Player Administration guide (see ‘Enterprise Enablement’ section) for details. We strongly recommend enterprise customers contact our official distribution licensing partner, HARMAN, for more information about commercial support offerings after the EOL Date. After the EOL Date, Adobe does not intend to issue Flash Player updates or security patches.
Source for the quote above
Adobe Flash Player Administration Guide for Flash Player 32 (PDF, 980 KB)
The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain - Scotty (Star Trek III)

To be clear this quote is not directed at Pale Moon, but a lot of other things in general.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-01-07, 13:39

For everyone's convenience, I'm quoting the relevant information here from their "Enterprise enablement" section:
Suppressing EOL Uninstall Prompts
In the latter half of 2020, as part of Flash Player's end of life (EOL) process, Adobe will start prompting
customers to uninstall Flash Player. This prompt is optional and can be dismissed by the end user.
To reduce friction in a managed installation environment, administrators can set either of the following
properties in the client's mms.cfg to disable the prompt from appearing:
AutoUpdateDisable = 1
Or
EOLUninstallDisable = 1
Many administrators have already disabled automatic updates for Flash Player by setting AutoUpdate-
Disable=1. If this is true in your environment, your users will not see the uninstall prompt. If automatic
updates are enabled (the default setting) and you would like to suppress the uninstall prompts from
appearing for your clients, set EOLUninstallDisable = 1.

EOLUninstallDisable
EOLUninstallDisable = [ 0, 1 ](0 = false, 1 = true)
Disabled (0) by default. EOLUninstallDisable =1 allows system administrators to disable uninstall prompts
by Flash Player scheduled to start appearing in the second half of 2020. When enabled (1), users can still
uninstall Flash Player, however unsolicited prompts by Adobe to uninstall Flash Player will be
suppressed.

EnableAllowList
EnableAllowList = [ 0, 1 ](0 = false, 1 = true)
Disabled by default. Allows system administrators to allow Flash Player to only load content from a set
of allowed URLs. After Flash Player EOL, EnableAllowList will default to true and the MMS.CFG setting will
be ignored.
Troubleshooting
Flash Player typically does not provide visible runtime errors to end-users, and users will not see an error
message when a request is blocked by the EnableAllowList flag while using the generally available Flash
Player version.
Errors related to the allow list feature can be logged to flashlog.txt by using Debug version of Flash Player
with logging configured, by setting ErrorReportingEnable=1 in mm.cfg. As of the time of this writing, we
recommend Firefox and Internet Explorer as the easiest browsers to configure for debugging and logging
to the filesystem.
See the following guide on configuring the debugger version of Flash Player for details:
https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb ... layer.html
Once enabled, error messages will be logged to flashlog.txt, and will look like this:
Example – Root Movie Blocked
*** EnableAllowList Activated - Root Movie Blocked ***
No AllowListURLPattern matches ‘https://www.example.com/movie.swf
In this instance, the parent webpage attempted to embed a SWF, but no AllowListUrlPattern entry allows
https://www.example.com/movie.swf to be loaded.
Example – Root Movie Loaded, Subsequent Request Blocked
*** EnableAllowList Activated - Request Blocked ***
No AllowListURLPattern matches 'http://www.example.com/intro.html'
In this instance, the parent SWF was permitted to load, but at runtime, the SWF attempted to navigate
to http://www.example.com/intro.html. The navigation was not permitted by a matching AllowListUrl-
Pattern entry, and was blocked.
AllowListRootMovieOnly
AllowListRootMovieOnly = [ 0, 1 ] (0 = false, 1 = true)
Disabled by default. Only apply allow list restrictions to the parent SWF. Subsequent requests made from
the loaded SWF to arbitrary URLs are allowed.
In some instances, it may be desirable to restrict Flash Player to loading only a trusted set of parent
movies, but to then allow those movies to make arbitrary requests to other resources. This minimizes the
number of AllowListUrlPattern entries required, and provides administrators with a simple, flexible
option for narrowing what Flash content can be loaded in their environment.
AllowListUrlPattern
AllowListUrlPattern = <scheme> ://<host>:<port>/<path>
<scheme> = '*' | 'http' | 'https'
<host> = <any char except '.' and '*'>
<port> (optional) = <any valid port number>
<path> = '/' <any chars>
With EnableAllowList=1 set, administrators can then specify a discrete URL or pattern to allow.

Example:
Intermediate – Parent content must be loaded from trusted directory, HTTPS and HTTP
Allow Flash Player to load content from a specific trusted directory. Any subsequent content requested
by the trusted application will not be subject to allow list restrictions.
mms.cfg
EnableAllowList=1
AllowListRootMovieOnly=1
AllowListUrlPattern=https://my.intranet.com/legacyApp/
AllowListUrlPattern=http://my.intranet.com/legacyApp/

How the initial request for Flash content would be handled:
Allowed
https://my.intranet.com/legacyApp/application.swf
http://my.intranet.com/legacyApp/application.swf

Denied
https://my.intranet.com/otherApp/other_resource.txt
http://example.com/randomContent.xml

Once loaded, if the SWF at https://my.intranet.com/legacyApp/application.swf (or its children) made
subsequent requests for resources available on the network, they would be permitted regardless of
allow list restrictions.
Allowed (when requested by the permitted Flash instance):
https://my.intranet.com/otherApp/other_resource.txt
http://example.com/randomContent.xml

"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

SandJ

Unread post by SandJ » 2021-01-08, 00:57

I have a web site which uses Flash and I am tasked with getting it re-written in something else. So I need it working in the meantime to show to the new developers, even if only on one PC. I tried it from a newly installed PaleMoon on Windows 7 and it works OK; it has the necessary Flash extensions. But I need it working in Linux.

I have installed PaleMoon on my Linux laptop running a Linux based on Ubuntu 18.04.5 This was from the Steve Pusser repository for Ubuntu. It has no extensions or plugins by default. In trying to get Flash to work, I tried the link at addons.palemoon.org for Flash which goes to Adobe's End of Life page.

So I followed the advice above to download the fp_32.0.0.363_archive.zip file from Adobe via web.archive.org

I have followed the instructions in that zip file to put libflashplayer.so into the plugins folder and copy files in to the /usr structure, but this does not make the Flash Player extension available to Pale Moon.

What am I getting wrong / missing?

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2021-01-09, 11:30

SandJ wrote:
2021-01-08, 00:57
I have a web site which uses Flash and I am tasked with getting it re-written in something else. So I need it working in the meantime to show to the new developers, even if only on one PC. I tried it from a newly installed PaleMoon on Windows 7 and it works OK; it has the necessary Flash extensions. But I need it working in Linux.

I have installed PaleMoon on my Linux laptop running a Linux based on Ubuntu 18.04.5 This was from the Steve Pusser repository for Ubuntu. It has no extensions or plugins by default. In trying to get Flash to work, I tried the link at addons.palemoon.org for Flash which goes to Adobe's End of Life page.

So I followed the advice above to download the fp_32.0.0.363_archive.zip file from Adobe via web.archive.org

I have followed the instructions in that zip file to put libflashplayer.so into the plugins folder and copy files in to the /usr structure, but this does not make the Flash Player extension available to Pale Moon.

What am I getting wrong / missing?
I have never copied files into the usr structure.all i do is copy the libflashplayer.so over into the mozilla plugin folder and that is it.

Are you sure you downloaded the correct version 32/64 bit .?

Pale moon 29.4.1

SandJ

Unread post by SandJ » 2021-01-10, 13:18

Moonraker wrote:
2021-01-09, 11:30
I have never copied files into the usr structure.all i do is copy the libflashplayer.so over into the mozilla plugin folder and that is it.

Are you sure you downloaded the correct version 32/64 bit .?
I had copied libflashplayer.so into /usr/lib/palemoon/browser/components - I didn't know if that was the right place but there was a libbrowsercomps.so in there so I assumed it was. It wasn't right.

After struggling some more, I've just Googled 'libflashplayer.so' and the first response gave me the answer, dammit! I had to create a directory /usr/lib/palemoon/browser/plugins and put libflashplayer.so in there. Now Flash works. Thank you for the "mozilla plugin folder" clue.

Code: Select all

sudo mkdir /usr/lib/palemoon/browser/plugins
sudo cp ~/Downloads/fp_32.0.0.363_archive/32_0_r0_363/flashplayer32_0r0_363_linux.x86_64/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/palemoon/browser/plugins

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-01-10, 14:05

One.. Why didn't you link it.. Two.. why didn't you follow instructions on the Pale Moon Linux Site that TELL you to link it.

SandJ

Unread post by SandJ » 2021-01-10, 14:37

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-01-10, 14:05
One.. Why didn't you link it.. Two.. why didn't you follow instructions on the Pale Moon Linux Site that TELL you to link it.
Oh dear. One of those.
1. I did follow the instructions on the Pale Moon site. Pale Moon for Linux, Installation
Add repository and install manually
Pale Moon Add-ons Site which points to Adobe Flash Player EOL General Information Page so I went to Pale Moon for Linux, For support, check out the forum and asked my question.
2. If you knew the answer, why didn't you respond to the question before I answered it for myself?
3. Why bother to respond with another solution when I had already worked it out?
4. Why bother to refer to a site and not give a link? The WWW is getting quite big now. If you want to help, then help, don't create more mysteries.
5. Why do you think I am I accountable to you?
6. Why post anything if you have nothing constructive to add?

I'm a totally new user to Pale Moon and had a problem. I hope this is not a normal response.

When I got the answer, I posted what I did to make it work. That's how support fora are supposed to work, not snidy comments to show off personal smartness. Now grow up.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-01-10, 15:50

I'm not your personal search engine and I merely asked a couple of questions. However, I will not be intimidated nor ordered by you. So step back, Skippy.

MasterCATZ

Unread post by MasterCATZ » 2021-01-12, 09:25

32.0.0.371 was the last version before time bomb was added

having issues finding the timer inside libpepflashplayer.so

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2021-01-12, 11:55

MasterCATZ wrote:
2021-01-12, 09:25
32.0.0.371 was the last version before time bomb was added

having issues finding the timer inside libpepflashplayer.so
Why don't you use an older version.?

Pale moon 29.4.1

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-01-12, 11:57

Why don't you not recommend people use old and insecure versions of network enabled software?

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2021-01-12, 12:01

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-01-12, 11:57
Why don't you not recommend people use old and insecure versions of network enabled software?
it doesn't have to be network enabled.
Downloaded flash content can be played offline.Most flash content will disappear anyway so it's a moot point.

Pale moon 29.4.1

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-01-12, 12:03

So if it is moot then why bother at this point?

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2021-01-12, 12:13

The point i am trying to make is that using the supernova extension/player or whatever it is will not be viable as the web flash content will not be there to use it.
ruffle over at the internet archive would be better or do as i did and download the swf files to be used offline in an older flash player.
Also the bluemaxima collection is on there so there is thousands of flash stuff there straight away.

Pale moon 29.4.1

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-01-12, 15:15

The point of using the flash plugin is for content that is there. Of course you can't use content that isn't there. Not sure what kind of airhead argument you're trying to make for ruffle here but it's simply not able to play flash content properly if it has no proper actionscript coverage.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2021-01-12, 15:21

Moonchild wrote:
2021-01-12, 15:15
The point of using the flash plugin is for content that is there. Of course you can't use content that isn't there. Not sure what kind of airhead argument you're trying to make for ruffle here but it's simply not able to play flash content properly if it has no proper actionscript coverage.
With all due respect moonchild but actually you can with downloaded flash content.Pale moon is currently the only browser which allows the "always activate" function in regard to the plugin..Flashfiles will not work with just the "ask to activate" which is present with theother browsers.

I have downloaded just over 20,000 flash files and they run just fine in pale moon with an older plugin..I also use v11 of the standalone player.

Pale moon 29.4.1

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-01-12, 15:25

Not sure how you completely misread what I said.
Of course downloaded flash content will work just fine in the browser. That's not the issue here.

Captain Chicky

Unread post by Captain Chicky » 2021-01-12, 18:01

I've tried changing the dates in the NPSWFXX dll file, but to no avail. Either the previously suggested method on page 4 is somehow incorrect, or the invalidated signature still allows flash to get blocked. Is there any other method? :think: