Java support for applets in the web browser Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Kendo

Java support for applets in the web browser

Unread post by Kendo » 2020-06-21, 00:22

I was trying to view a web page that uses a java applet to render the image, but found that I had no Java support for any web browser.

So I downloaded and installed "Java for my desktop computer" from https://www.java.com/en/download/

Yes, there were all sorts of notices about modern browsers not supporting Java anymore because it is unsafe (?) but on the Java site they do actually mention Pale Moon as still good to go.

Well after I installed I checked Java Security to ensure that it was indeed checked to enable for web browsers. But in Pale Moon plugins page I see that it is set to "Always ask permission" and that the setting cannot be changed to "Always ON'.

Anyway, the long and short of this episode is that I don't get anything on the applet page, no applet and no request to activate.

Is this normal, or have I missed something?

Kendo

Re: Java support for applets in the web browser

Unread post by Kendo » 2020-06-21, 00:37

Problem solved. The error was on the web page itself (missing jar file) and is now fixed.

After clicking not one, but two security prompts to proceed it finally loaded.

I trust Java implicitly as it was once the safest and the most sophisticated cross platform programming language. I suspect that what has happened since is due to new browser changes that make it insecure... or simply payback from those who got sued bigtime after trying to plagiarise and steal ownership.

Question: how to completely remove those prompts?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-06-21, 00:50

Part of the java prompting is done by the java plugin itself.
You'll have to explicitly disable that in java configuration.
The other prompt is in the browser in add-on manager -> plugins, the default for java is "ask to activate", you can set it to always activate, BUT I recommend you only do so on a site-by-tise basis (using the permission prompt on the site visited)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Kendo

Unread post by Kendo » 2020-06-21, 01:32

Moonchild wrote:
2020-06-21, 00:50
you can set it to always activate
In the current version of PM the "Always activate" is greyed out.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-06-21, 09:32

Is your java up-to-date? Old and insecure versions of Java have that option disabled, requiring you to always confirm.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Kendo

Unread post by Kendo » 2020-06-22, 23:00

Moonchild wrote:
2020-06-21, 09:32
Is your java up-to-date?
Yes. Latest download jxpinstall.exe version 8.0.2510.8

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-06-23, 00:16

How is it identified in the addons manager? file versions don't really tell me anything :)

Kendo

Unread post by Kendo » 2020-06-23, 00:40

Moonchild wrote:
2020-06-23, 00:16
How is it identified in the addons manager?
Attachments
java-pm.jpg

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-06-23, 01:04

The Java Deployment Toolkit is not the Java plugin.
The actual Java plugin would be identified as Java(tm) Platform SE U251 or similar (a separate entry from the one you listed there).
The deployment toolkit is dangerous to have always enabled because its purpose is to deploy applications, and can easily be abused to install malware on your system if enabled by default; which is why that one can't be always enabled. You normally don't need this deployment plugin to use Java applets, you only need the main platform plugin.

Kendo

Unread post by Kendo » 2020-06-23, 05:52

Moonchild wrote:
2020-06-23, 01:04
You normally don't need this deployment plugin to use Java applets, you only need the main platform plugin.
Unfortunately that is what the download page recommends. Although by now they may be giving into the fact that most web browsers have had their way, and the browser plugin won't be needed.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-06-23, 06:12

The NPAPI Java plugin was deprecated after Java 8 so you'll have to get that version rather than the latest which is 11.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-06-23, 10:17

Once again you don't need the deployment plugin for running applets in the browser. At all. It is for, as the name says, deployment of standalone java applications on your computer, not for applets.

moonbat: The java 8 SE plugin is version 11 ;-)

Kendo

Unread post by Kendo » 2020-06-23, 21:44

For testing anything like this, I try to use what our visitors will probably use, which is what faces them when they go to download Java.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-06-23, 22:04

When they download java they get both plugins. the deployment plugin will be disabled by default by the browser, and the actual java plugin will prompt.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2020-06-25, 11:09

Kendo, download JRE plugin, the keyword is runtime. Stay away from something which says JDK or keyword like development/deployment or similar kit.