Searx search plugin broken

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

lunario

Searx search plugin broken

Unread post by lunario » 2020-06-11, 20:23

It redirects to searx.me, however searx now uses .info as domain. Manually editing the config files and setting the domain correctly does not help it, instead I am redirected to the homepage of searx.info.

Running Palemoon version 28.10.0.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Searx search plugin broken

Unread post by billmcct » 2020-06-11, 22:36

Try this one:
searx.xml
(1.17 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

lunario

Unread post by lunario » 2020-06-12, 05:21

Interestingly, your file did not work, but when I changed the method from POST to GET, it did.

I am not sure whether this would have also worked with my own xml and as I overwrote it, I have no way to check... but thanks anyway for your help!

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2020-06-12, 11:57

Strange. It works fine for me on Windows. Don't have Linux to check.
At least you got it to work.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-06-12, 12:17

It has nothing to do with the operating system, in fact I don't know why the post was created in the Linux forum in the first place.
The OS specific sub forums are for problems exclusively related to the underlying OS such as installation, integration with the desktop or repeated crashes, not generic issues with the browser just because you happen to run Linux or Windows. If you're not sure, just post your query in the general help forum.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2020-06-12, 13:59

Off-topic:
moonbat, that's not so simple and easy. Many times it may not be ascertained beforehand whether the issue is specific to their OS setup or a generic one. Also, most of the people asking for help don't know whether something is a generic issue or not. Then there are people who, in doubt, will post in the forum section dedicated to their OS because they think it is the *right* thing to do.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-06-12, 14:05

Off-topic:
adesh wrote:
2020-06-12, 13:59
Off-topic:
Also, most of the people asking for help don't know whether something is a generic issue or not. Then there are people who, in doubt, will post in the forum section dedicated to their OS because they think it is the *right* thing to do.
That's why I'd say it's better to post in general support first and then have it moved in case it is OS specific, since these are for a subset of browser related problem
s.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-06-12, 14:23

Off-topic:
Moonbat, sorry to "tap you on the knuckles with my ruler", but no, it's better if people who are on Linux and have a problem with their browser which they aren't sure is browser-specific/os specific or not post in the OS specific board. General support allows us to assume that users are on Windows, while the linux and other boards provide immediate indicators we can't assume the OS is the 95% slice of our users. Especially in the case of Linux, a lot of issues may lay outside of the browser because of the hodge-podge of distros, kernels, etc. So we really DO prefer that all people on Linux post here, and not in the general support board.
Although this would probably have been better placed in extensions or plugins, since it's not a problem with the browser itself... :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-06-12, 14:55

Ah, I see. I have myself been forced off Windows for almost a year, I keep forgetting that Windows is the more commonly used case.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2020-06-12, 16:44

lunario wrote:
2020-06-12, 05:21
Interestingly, your file did not work, but when I changed the method from POST to GET, it did.
With billmcct's file (that was corrected to .info), did searx break for you the same way as before (redirecting to home page)?
Or did it do something else?

Initially that file didn't work for me either, no matter if POST or GET (using Windows). Each search produced a page that was blank but for the notice: "Something went wrong. Please go back and try again".

This turned out, at least for me, to be a cookie issue; once the cookie was acquired by visiting https://searx.info/ directly, searx worked fine for me with both GET and POST.