Flash will be dead and buried end of 2020.

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Flash will be dead and buried end of 2020.

Unread post by Moonraker » 2020-09-25, 10:33

moonbat wrote:
2020-09-25, 09:21
The worst thing is Adobe can't just leave it alone. No, they plan to d̷i̷s̷a̷b̷l̷e̷ sabotage all existing plugins with the final upgrade so that it won't work at all.
My simple answer to that is i will not update the flash plugin from here on in.I don't know myself how many flash users there are in the world and who actually "depends" on it but maybe some people will leave non flash browsers for alternatives which do still offer the use of flash.

How many firefox users for example stick with firefox purely for the flash.??.Pale Moon may just get a big influx in users...we would like to think so anyway. :D
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

4td8s
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by 4td8s » 2020-10-14, 23:27

speaking of Flash, Adobe just posted an updated version as a security update yesterday 10/13:

mentioned in Adobe security bulletin APSB20-58:
https://helpx.adobe.com/security/produc ... 20-58.html

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2020-10-29, 18:20

Now released an update that removes Flash from the PC: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.co ... ?q=4577586
In Win 8 and later MS included the Active X version of Flash Player for Internet Explorer and other Trident-Browsers like GreenBrowser http://www.morequick.com/indexen.htm

The updates can't be uninstalled like the normal way via "Installed Updates" and only removes the ActiveX-Flash, NPAPI stays, so no Pale Moon users affected yet.
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

itdoesntreallymatter
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by itdoesntreallymatter » 2020-11-18, 15:03

Moonchild wrote:
2020-09-24, 19:02
itdoesntreallymatter wrote:
2020-09-24, 18:58
I know there are good reasons for discontinuing it
Are there, really? What's so inherently evil about running a plugin in isolated context that it needs to be discontinued in favor of html5 and scripting that has no isolation at all from page content?
This is coming secondhand so I might get some details wrong, but my cousin who works computer security told me that Flash was never intended to be used for making animations or games. And because of that, if you play a Flash game, it stores the data on your computer directly. Meaning that it's relatively easy to use Flash in malicious ways.

There's also the fact that iOS deliberately avoided being compatible with Flash for the above reason, so if you build a website in Flash, it's totally unusable on most mobile browsers.

alfredohina

Unread post by alfredohina » 2021-01-11, 18:46

When I change the date of my PC to tomorrow the 12th, when I enter my company's flash website with PaleMoon I see this, why?
Attachments
flash.JPG

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2021-01-11, 19:27

Maybe because Adobe built in a killswitch.
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

alfredohina

Unread post by alfredohina » 2021-01-11, 19:36

So it won't be possible to use Flash on PaleMoon from tomorrow? Will I be able to continue using it at least by modifying the date on my PC?

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2021-01-11, 20:45

alfredohina wrote:
2021-01-11, 18:46
When I change the date of my PC to tomorrow the 12th, when I enter my company's flash website with PaleMoon I see this, why?
You need to install an older version of flash..i would suggest going to the internet archive.com to obtain one.

Pale moon 29.4.1

Sob__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Sob__ » 2021-01-12, 05:30

Don't install old versions, there's no need to have more security holes than necessary (meaning those that will be found in latest version).

Either play with whitelist (I didn't test it, but it looks like clean way) or patch the latest version (quick and dirty, but works fine).

Satai Delenn
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Satai Delenn » 2021-01-12, 10:58

Moonraker wrote:
2021-01-11, 20:45
alfredohina wrote:
2021-01-11, 18:46
You need to install an older version of flash..i would suggest going to the internet archive.com to obtain one.
Sorry, but that doesn't work. I tried using an old version of Flash and still have the same problem. Games are unplayable. ANYTHING using Flash is unusable. Hence why I tried downloading the Supernova thing, but I can't get that to work either.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2021-01-12, 11:49

Sob__ wrote:
2021-01-12, 05:30
Don't install old versions, there's no need to have more security holes than necessary (meaning those that will be found in latest version).

Either play with whitelist (I didn't test it, but it looks like clean way) or patch the latest version (quick and dirty, but works fine).
Which security holes.?
I have never encountered a security incident with flash plus it is contained in the plugin container.New technology is NOT contained and is wide open to security exploits.
I have an old version of flash installed and it runs just fine v32.0.0.171...any version prior to the time bombed version should work ok.

Pale moon 29.4.1

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-01-12, 12:06

As I said in another thread, ignore Moonraker. His only aim is to create confusion via counter antics.

alfredohina

Unread post by alfredohina » 2021-01-12, 13:43

Thank you. I downloaded an older version, I just found the same link that was put above
Satai Delenn wrote:
2021-01-12, 10:58
Sorry, but that doesn't work. I tried using an old version of Flash and still have the same problem. Games are unplayable. ANYTHING using Flash is unusable. Hence why I tried downloading the Supernova thing, but I can't get that to work either.
Ir work for me. I uninstall v.32.xxx (i dont know) and I download and install v.28. Working now without problems (Modifying the date to previous days works too with v.32)

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2021-01-12, 14:30

alfredohina wrote:
2021-01-12, 13:43
Thank you. I downloaded an older version, I just found the same link that was put above
Satai Delenn wrote:
2021-01-12, 10:58
Ir work for me. I uninstall v.32.xxx (i dont know) and I download and install v.28. Working now without problems (Modifying the date to previous days works too with v.32)
I am using v32.0.0.171 and it works just fine..i do not see what all the fuss and palaver is about if the browser is offline and running locally stored flashfiles.Of course the scaremongering naysayers will dispute this but i see no issue with it if the browser is offline and functions.

Pale moon 29.4.1

Sob__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Sob__ » 2021-01-12, 16:05

Moonraker wrote:
2021-01-12, 11:49
Which security holes.?
Take a pick:

https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerabilit ... layer.html

But perhaps it was all lies and Adobe only claimed there were vulnerabilities, to keep you installing updates, including the final timebombed ones. Actually, it could be much larger conspiracy, I heard several people claiming the same about Windows. How they installed e.g. Windows 7 RTM, immediatelly blocked all updates and never installed one, and were completely safe for the whole time.

Edit: I admit that the linked page looks worse than it really is, because it includes all historic vulnerabilities. It's in fact possible that your specific version as NPAPI plugin for Linux is safe. Especially if you want to use it offline for known flash files. And if you did a research to confirm this, then everything is fine.

My point is that recommending old versions is generally not good idea, because people looking for anything that works will think that they can use, well, anything.

Satai Delenn
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Satai Delenn » 2021-01-13, 12:19

Well, great for all of you. I installed a really old version I found on my computer (version 18 or something) and it won't work. Nothing I've tried works. I am NOT a coder like you all seem to be. I am not a tech person like you all seem to be. Great that you all can get it to work. Not only now can I not get the older versions on my computer to work, but there's no place to try and download Flash anymore. I even tried using the Wayback machine hoping I could get an older version using that. Nope. Nothing is available for download.

And I'm trying to use the Supernova thing, but that doesn't work here either.

Lins31

Unread post by Lins31 » 2021-02-03, 01:42

My thoughts - Pale Moon depends on Mozilla for Flash :wtf:
Mozilla are struggling on how to remove Flash - Npapi

If you have a system that has Mozilla or Firefox updates
Currently Mozilla's chosen solution is to do clean install (remove all plugins addins history bookmarks etc)
Its 4th time already for me !!!
This makes Firefox disfunctional as a browser (Darlek get ready for screwdriver)
These settings are stored in a local file - for Linux is .mozilla
If you delete (or rename) this file - it gets remade!

Flash returns :angel:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-02-03, 01:47

So you are not only ignorant you wish to spread ignorance and infect others?

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2021-02-05, 12:21

Lins31 wrote:
2021-02-03, 01:42
My thoughts - Pale Moon depends on Mozilla for Flash :wtf:
Mozilla are struggling on how to remove Flash - Npapi

If you have a system that has Mozilla or Firefox updates
Currently Mozilla's chosen solution is to do clean install (remove all plugins addins history bookmarks etc)
Its 4th time already for me !!!
This makes Firefox disfunctional as a browser (Darlek get ready for screwdriver)
These settings are stored in a local file - for Linux is .mozilla
If you delete (or rename) this file - it gets remade!

Flash returns :angel:
That is utter nonsense..pale Moon does not rely on firefox for flash.

Pale moon 29.4.1