Flash will be dead and buried end of 2020.

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Flash will be dead and buried end of 2020.

Unread post by Moonraker » 2020-05-17, 18:23

https://www.adobe.com/products/flashpla ... -life.html

As we all know flash will reach it's EOL later this year,but what is even more annoying is the fact we as users cannot choose to use it post december.

basically all flash content is to blocked in most browsers and by adobe..

I myself was hoping to continue using flash for as long as i could but it seems the life support is being terminated. :(

https://www.ghacks.net/2020/05/17/mozil ... /#comments

More insight in this link.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Flash will be dead and buried end of 2020.

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-05-17, 18:28

Not sure why this is supposed to be shocking.

BTW: we will continue to support Flash. So save those off-line plugin installers somewhere safe!
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2020-05-17, 18:35

Pale Moon and Seamonkey will continue support for Flash, so the browser itself is not the problem.
We need to create archives of the old flash games websites if they decide to remove their flash content.
You can still keep the flash packages from Linux systems and for Win you can use the offline installer.
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2020-05-17, 18:40

Moonchild wrote:
2020-05-17, 18:28

BTW: we will continue to support Flash. So save those off-line plugin installers somewhere safe!
Thanks for the confirmation moonchild. :thumbup:
But it seems flash content is to be blocked by adobe outright even when using old versions.

Surely that is up to webmasters if they allow flash on their sites notably some gamesites i use but adobe thinks differently.

Pale moon 29.4.1

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2020-05-17, 18:47

Adobe can't stop websites service .swf files.
They can only stop Flash player downloads and may replace the installed version with a non-functional version via auto update.

[ghost]

Unread post by [ghost] » 2020-05-17, 18:48

Moonchild wrote:

But Adobe won't release security updates for it anymore. Java 8 is already insecure and Pale Moon forces it to run in click-to-play mode for this reason. That will probably happen to Flash too.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2020-05-17, 18:51

techboyg5 wrote:
2020-05-17, 18:48
Moonchild wrote:

But Adobe won't release security updates for it anymore. Java 8 is already insecure and Pale Moon forces it to run in click-to-play mode for this reason. That will probably happen to Flash too.
On linux adobe stopped updating after version 11 and most users carried on with that version regardless me included..only recently adobe for some bizarre reason started updates for the linux version.Just because it is not up to date does not mean it cannot function.

Pale moon 29.4.1

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2020-05-17, 18:53

Bullshit, they updated it later and now it is version 32 like Windows.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2020-05-17, 19:05

Pentium4User wrote:
2020-05-17, 18:53
Bullshit, they updated it later and now it is version 32 like Windows.
Its not bullshit.
there was a time they STOPPED updating it and it stuck at version 11 on LINUX.!!!...THEN they decided after a lull to update it..
Im speaking of linux NOT windows.

The queens english is not your mother tongue i assume.???

Pale moon 29.4.1

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2020-05-17, 19:16

Completely true what are you saying. The stopped the active development for the NPAPI-Version for Linux, the Chrome-bundled version stayed with the win version. Security updates were still produced for 11.x NPAI for Linux.
Then they decided to bring it up to the current version.
The queens english is not your mother tongue i assume.???
Not here, because we have people like Tobin who use the same language.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-05-17, 19:35

Just like I recently said already: just because there are no updates doesn't automatically mean it's vulnerable. especially when talking about plugins that are under the user's control as well as running in a low integrity container. So what if flash no longer gets updated? It'll still work, the flash content will still run.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2020-05-17, 19:54

Run for how long though..how long before google and microsoft put an end to it's use altogether server side.

Pale moon 29.4.1

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2020-05-17, 20:00

The Flash files are served like any other file. They can also be downloaded for example (http://cdn.kaisergames.de/attachments/g ... ophop2.swf).
Then you can open it in a browser that still supports Flash if the Plugin is installed. Also MS can't stop you from installing an old version of win and running an old flash version.
Web Servers also can still provide these files like every other file, Google can't stop them from doing so, they only can stop the display and download in their browser and can remove such sites from their index, but noting else.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-05-17, 22:27

Moonraker wrote:
2020-05-17, 19:54
Run for how long though..how long before google and microsoft put an end to it's use altogether server side.
Nonsense. Google and Microsoft can't do shit about anyone hosting SWF files. it's just data. As long as you have a client that can interpret that data, then that's all you need -- a web server doesn't care what kind of data it has to serve, because for it, it's just like any other file: client requests file - load file - send to client. Doesn't matter whether that file is text, image, swf, xml, audio, video or arbitrary data. :coffee:

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2020-05-18, 01:39

As far as I know, they're just not allowing anyone to use it on actively supported browsers. This is actually more of a warning to people who are actively using Flash for something customer-facing to get off of it, but they obviously don't want companies that might be using Flash for something internally to have no way of using it at all.

The goal isn't to actively seek out everyone who is using Flash and penalize them, the goal is for them to avoid liability for any security issues that might arise as a result of letting people continue using software that Adobe will no longer be updating. They just want to make it hard enough that anyone who still wants to use Flash will have to be aware of the deprecation and the security issues associated with doing so, and won't be able to blame them if they get hacked while using it or something.

They've been warning people off it for years, and now they're more or less drawing a line in the sand and saying it's no longer a recommendation but they are forcing you to either do the so-called "right thing" finally and migrate to HTML5 or jump through ridiculous hoops to be able to use Flash. They know that the average user won't do that, and so the only people left using it will be advanced users that have explicitly given up their right to expect security by using an old or obscure browser and possibly downloading the plug-in from an unauthorized distribution channel. They don't want people to say they didn't try hard enough to protect users, because people increasingly see it as their job to do so.

I still think what they're doing sucks and limits choice too much, but it's more about covering their own rear ends from potential perceived liability with overzealous attempts at forcing unpopular security recommendations down people's throats than about hunting down every website that might use Flash for anything. It's not like these companies are sitting in their board rooms cackling evilly and getting off on forcing every single Flash-using holdout to stop using it. They are paranoid about being seen as liable if someone gets hacked. Even if they're not legally liable, simple-minded modern users increasingly take no accountability for themselves, and would blame Microsoft/Google for not doing enough to protect them if they were to allow them to keep using Flash after Adobe stopped updating it.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2020-05-18, 04:16

Chrome and FF will just remove the remaining NPAPI interface to get rid off it. They also did that for NPAPI for other Plugins, that was all they could do.
I predict that the Active X Flash for IE will still work.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2020-05-19, 14:33

And thank God! That bitch of a CPU hogging, bugged out, malware/ hacking plague of a plug-in needed to die a slow death many years ago already. HTML5 is where it's currently at and no asinine plug-in to use and maintain and run the risk of malware climbing up your sorry ass.

I ran Windows 10 in VMware Workstation Player to learn about what it all has, blocking telemetry and monitoring the network, and I was pissed to find out the damn OS has flash built right in. It shows its ass up in the damn control panel. da faq is that crap when HTML5 surpasses flash? ALL websites should be using HTML5 by now for god sakes.

I remember circa 2015 one Flash update after another with all the found vulnerabilities. It was almost a weekly update.

Even Java needs to die, and it's a CPU hog. Crappy thing is, I have a program I need that was coded in Java, and I think my one time pad program was crafted in Java code as well. Seems like all the good stuff I need or want from Sourceforge or Github is Java based. That or Python or Pearl.
1.jpg

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2020-05-19, 15:49

There are two old sayings and they are:

"To each, Their own" and "One person's trash is another person's treasure".

At this time, I use 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.9.3 running in 64 bit linux Mint 19.3 (Tricia) Xfce. I also use linux Flash and the linux version I use with linux Pale Moon is (32.0.0.371). Ditto for windows Pale Moon.

Why? Because there are a few streaming webcam sites which require Flash. Flash allows me to "see" what sup board I am going to take down to the beaches on the upper Texas coast where the best waves are for sup (standup paddleboarding) surfing. Two of them are in the links below. BTW; the pages take a little time to load, about 15 seconds, so be patient. And one can take control of the camera for different viewing choices (West View, West Surf, etc).

https://www.61stpier.com/piercam

https://www.galvestonfishingpier.com/

I don't mind using Flash. I've never had any problems using Flash whether in linux or windows depending on what linux distro or windows operating system I am using at the time.

I understand some of you on here hate Flash. I get that. But if I have a choice of using Flash or using Windows 10, I'd choose Flash every time because I "absolutely loathe" Windows 10 and refuse to use it. And Window 10 is not on any of my nine hardrives. But Flash, both in linux Mint and Windows 7 for my three browsers (Pale Moon, SeaMonkey, Firefox), is on every one of my nine hard drives.

Bottom line. Everyone is different when it comes to likes and dislikes when it comes to computer software.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2020-05-19, 22:07, edited 2 times in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-05-19, 15:53

No the bottom line is the NPAPI technology has nothing to do with the decision of any plugin vendor discontinuing support for them and I will not allow removal of a vital and classical technology just because the mainstream has decided to abandon it. The technology stays, so says the Unified XUL Platform Coordinator.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-05-19, 15:54

John connor wrote:
2020-05-19, 14:33
And thank God! {RANT}
I'm sorry but just in case you've forgotten, "where it's currently at" is full of holes that need browser vendors that keep implementing the latest shinies from releasing security updates every week. And hey, this isn't 2015 and Flash has actually matured past that point where it can be exploited (outside of, of course, issues that are common for ANYTHING that allows remote content to be scripted).

Hey guess what? now the browser itself has become the CPU hog because it needs to do what was previously the task of a plugin and under the user's control. You hate having Flash be integral to something? then you should hate any modern browser that has all that shit baked right into the core because NPAPI was shunned, with no way to control it.

Now, please direct further generic rants about off-topic things for this thread (including irrelevant attachments) to the board where it belongs, thanks.