Disable Java & more Extension

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

CelticMoon

Disable Java & more Extension

Unread post by CelticMoon » 2013-01-17, 16:03

Hello everyone - I hope you saw Moonchild's warning recently about disabling the Java plugin due to a security issue. He provides instructions on how to do this manually via your add-ons menu.

I stumbled upon an extension that allows you to turn Java, JavaScript, Flash, Silverlight, and more off and on via buttons in your toolbar with visual indicators of their status. Here is a link for more info and to install:

http://quickjavaplugin.blogspot.com/ or https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search

You can control which buttons appear via the options menu for the extension. It is backwards, though, check off the ones you DO NOT want listed. ;)

I hope this helps and should provide on the fly adjustment for when these services are needed (or not). Best regards...

dark_moon

Re: Disable Java & more Extension

Unread post by dark_moon » 2013-01-17, 17:44

For JavaScript i prefer the addon NoScript.

poutnikl

Unread post by poutnikl » 2013-01-17, 19:25

One can also downgrade to Java 6, that is not affected.
And I do you use NoScript+ABE as well

Apollo702

Unread post by Apollo702 » 2013-01-18, 02:46

For Quickjava I would recommend letting it handle Java(by default disabled), Flash, Silverlight, CSS, images and animations. NoScript is perhaps the most important add-on to run and it should handle scripts. For cookies you want Cookie Whitelist With Buttons( or another similar cookie manager) and for the proxy function I like Foxyproxy as a dedicated proxy manager. As a supplement in my "permissions" group I would add Right To Click to disable right click handlers while still allowing scripts.

The only drawback to QJ is I have spoken to the developer on many occasions and he is quitting. It will have to be taken over by someone else or it is going to become abandonware.

Soldier1st

Unread post by Soldier1st » 2013-01-19, 01:50

poutnikl wrote:One can also downgrade to Java 6, that is not affected.
And I do you use NoScript+ABE as well
Java 6 is not yet affected, but it could. Oracle will discontinue support after Feb 2013.