Plugins

General discussion and compatibility support about browser plug-ins.
(e.g. Adobe Flash, Java plugin, authentication plugins, Unity)

Moderators: satrow, Lootyhoof, Andrew Gilbertson

MargaretM
New to the forum
New to the forum

Plugins

Unread postby MargaretM » Tue, 06 Feb 2018, 10:02

Hello

I realise this might be a daft question but why don't plugins have a remove option like add ons? :?

I have a Java thing in my plugin list that has been greyed out by Pale Moon. I am quite happy about this as I had already told it never to activate as I do not know what it is.
It seems to have always been there. I bought this laptop as a refurb years ago and when I installed Pale Moon it showed up in the plugin list. I have been meaning to ask this question since then. I would just like to get rid of it.

Cheers Margaret

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Plugins

Unread postby Moonchild » Tue, 06 Feb 2018, 10:16

Plugins are installed on your system, not through the browser.
The only way to "remove" plugins is to uninstall the connected program from your system.

If a plugin is disabled, for the browser's operation, it will be exactly the same-as not having it installed in the first place because the components (.dlls) will not be loaded. It will only be a list entry in the add-on manager and nothing else.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

Moonraker
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread postby Moonraker » Tue, 06 Feb 2018, 10:36

First thing i removed from my linux system was the java runtime plugin as its known to cause instability in browsers plus its a attack vector for exploits.
Slacko puppy linux 64bit.
Pale moon 27.9.0

lyceus
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread postby lyceus » Mon, 12 Feb 2018, 05:28

Moonraker wrote:First thing i removed from my linux system was the java runtime plugin as its known to cause instability in browsers plus its a attack vector for exploits.

Off-topic:
OBJECTION! Please keep in topic. We are talking about why some plugins are grey-out from base install. We all know that Java is no safe but some sites still demand it.

Return to “Browser plug-ins”