Java plugin not working Pale Moon 27.3.0 Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

liginblaze

Java plugin not working Pale Moon 27.3.0

Unread post by liginblaze » 2017-06-21, 07:53

Hi,
I was using Pale Moon 27.2.1 (64 bit) on Ubuntu 16.04 (64 bit) with Oracle JDK 1.8.0_131 (64 bit). Java plugin was working smoothly. But now Pale Moon is updated to 27.3.0 (64 bit) and there is Java plugin in the plugin list, but I cannot make use of it. In the future roadmap of Pale Moon https://www.palemoon.org/roadmap.shtml, in the subtopic Plug-ins, Pale Moon team mentioned the following

Pale Moon supports NPAPI plug-ins.Unlike Firefox, we will not be deprecating or removing support for these kinds of plug-ins. This means that you will be able to continue using your media, authentication, and other plug-ins in Pale Moon like Flash, Silverlight, bank-authenticators or networking plug-ins for specific purposes.

I trust in Pale Moon completely, now and ever since you promised not to discontinue NPAPI plugin support, now i'm in deep problems, because java plugin is not working. I've also tested this under Oracle JDK 1.8.0_111 as well as 1.8.0_121 both 32 bit and 64 bit.

Please help. Much appreciated.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Java plugin not working Pale Moon 27.3.0

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-06-21, 10:06

We have no intention of discontinuing any NPAPI plugin support.
If your plugin suddenly stopped working, then something else is going on. I can't really provide help since I'm not a Linux person and don't know how plugins on Linux are plugged in. Maybe someone else can assist.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

liginblaze

Unread post by liginblaze » 2017-06-21, 12:51

Moonchild wrote:We have no intention of discontinuing any NPAPI plugin support.
If your plugin suddenly stopped working, then something else is going on. I can't really provide help since I'm not a Linux person and don't know how plugins on Linux are plugged in. Maybe someone else can assist.
Thank you for the reply. I understand. I think someone who knows Linux can help me. ;)

And I've tested on Windows with both FIrefox 54 32 bit and Pale Moon 32 bit, the plugin works fine. So something's not right with my Ubuntu. :crazy:

liginblaze

Unread post by liginblaze » 2017-06-22, 14:26

Moonchild wrote:We have no intention of discontinuing any NPAPI plugin support.
Could you please ask the developers of Linux version of Pale Moon, about this problem I'm facing. It will be a huge help. Thanks.

I repeat, I'm on Linux Ubuntu 16.04 (64 bit), Oracle JDK 8u131 (64 bit) and Pale Moon 27.3.0 (64 bit). I've tested this scenario with Oracle JDK 8u121 (64 bit & 32 bit) and Oracle JDK 8u111 (64 bit & 32 bit) also.

I used the code

Code: Select all

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/java/jdk1.8.0_131/jre/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libnpjp2.so
to create a link for the plugin to appear in Pale Moon 27.2.1. When it got updated to Pale Moon 27.3.0, plugin is there, but not working. I tested it with this link https://www.java.com/verify

Anaheim

Unread post by Anaheim » 2017-06-24, 18:26

I am having the exact same issue. In my case, version Pale Moon 27.3.0 (64 bit) used to work with Java. Following an update of Java this time, the page I was using stopped working completely and the verification page of java on https://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp doesn't work at all. I don't get any prompt on the java.com page or even a broken frame.

Viginti

Unread post by Viginti » 2017-06-26, 18:42

I too am having this issue. I'm on Ubuntu 17.04 using Pale Moon 27.03. As the op said, everything worked normally until the browser updated. I've tried clean installs of the browser as well as jdk/jre and recreating the symbolic link to point to the plugin. Pale Moon sees the plugin but doesn't seem to work anyway :?

Viginti

Unread post by Viginti » 2017-06-27, 12:13

Well I downloaded the previous version of pale moon 27.2.1(64bit) and attempted to run that with the latest version of Java (jdk8_131) but still broken. Then I decided to uninstall all java on my system and install the previous version of that (jdk8_121). I confirmed that PM saw the java plugin with version 8_121 but that didn't work. So then I decided to try the previous versions of both things, java 8_121 and PM 27.2.1(64bit) and that doesn't work either.

Beginning to think that some other update to Ubuntu broke the functionality :thumbdown:

Anaheim

Unread post by Anaheim » 2017-06-28, 18:28

After my Xubuntu updated today, it works again!!!
Java version is still 8/131
System is 64bit
Xubuntu 16.04.2 LTS
Codename: xenial

I also passed the java verify prompt.

Thank you pale moon.

Viginti

Unread post by Viginti » 2017-06-28, 20:01

Anaheim wrote:After my Xubuntu updated today, it works again!!!
Java version is still 8/131
System is 64bit
Xubuntu 16.04.2 LTS
Codename: xenial

I also passed the java verify prompt.

Thank you pale moon.
This would indicate an xubuntu patch fixed the issue so here's hoping I'll get an update in the next couple of days that fixes my Ubuntu box :|

Viginti

Unread post by Viginti » 2017-06-29, 13:45

Confirmed, Ubuntu updated today and my java plugins are working normally again. This isn't/wasn't a browser or Java issue. It's an Ubuntu issue.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-06-29, 15:00

Considering both broken and solved by the Ubuntu maintainers, then.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Viginti

Unread post by Viginti » 2017-06-29, 17:24

FWIW, the update today consisted of various gcc libraries.