PDF Viewer works in Pale Moon 27.2.1

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

PDF Viewer works in Pale Moon 27.2.1

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2017-04-07, 04:32

There are several threads on the PM forums lamenting about not being able to get PDF Viewer to open within a browser window for recent versions of Pale Moon when a .pdf link is clicked. I have had this problem and could not find an answer. I even contacted Tracker a few days ago, but only was told they did not support Pale Moon, Firefox or Chrome. I run Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) on both my desktop and my laptop. My PM is 32 bit.

If you only have Viewer installed (mine is Ver. 2.5, Build 214.2), an upgrade to PM 27.2.1 will fix the problem, assuming that you have done a few things.
1. In Windows, Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Associations, make sure Viewer is set as the default program for .pdf files.
2. In PM, on Tools->Add-ons, go to Plugins, and make sure Viewer is set to 'Always Activate'.
3. In Viewer, on Edit->Preferences, File Association, make sure you have pressed 'Make Default PDF Viewer'. On my laptop, I did NOT have to check 'Display PDF in Browser'.

If you have other .pdf reader programs installed, such as Adobe Acrobat or PDF Editor: on the PM Plugins page:
1. Make sure they are all set to 'Never Activate'. I have them both installed on my desktop, and Editor was set to 'Always Activate'. Even in PM 27.2.1, Editor would always open in the browser window. Even setting it to 'Ask to Activate' did not help. (I was never asked. Editor would just open.)
2. I don't know if in Viewer, on the Preferences page, it is necessary to also check 'Display PDF in Browser', because on my desktop that was already checked. But if you can't get Viewer to open, try it.
3, If the above does not do it, you may want to press the 'Restore File Association', to see if that helps. I never had to.

And with the above changes on my desktop, Viewer also now works in Firefox 42. I still cannot get it to work in Chrome (I have 57x).

I have no idea what change was made in PM that makes this now possible. Someone smarter than I perhaps can address that. All I know is that it PDFXChange Viewer now works again in PM's browser window.

Harry

PhilK

Re: PDF Viewer works in Pale Moon 27.2.1

Unread post by PhilK » 2017-04-07, 05:09

What I found was interesting is the distinction between how Firefox works (I typically use the ESR version here) and PaleMoon in this regard.

For example with Firefox it will usually detect the availability of plugins, and show an option in the applications list like "Use [PDF viewer plugin] (In Firefox)".

But when I first installed the Tracker Software PDF-XChange Editor app/plugin (I don't have Viewer installed here), mine worked inside Pale Moon just by selecting the "Open With" option. Initially there was no "In Pale Moon" in that list, but now I see there is. (Something mysterious going on.. )

I also tried NitroPDF v5 (which works fine as a viewer outside of the browser), but despite claiming to support viewing inside of Firefox and having a dedicated x64 version I never get an "Open... In Pale Moon" choice there, and PDFs always want to open in the external app. (Same thing happens with Firefox: cannot view in-browser. Which is quite interesting because I'm using the common 32-bit version of Firefox which should work according to them)

It's not the end of the world to me that files open in an external app, but it's easier and quicker for me to preview small PDFs directly in a browser tab if possible.

I'm just thrilled to find a PDF plugin that displays PDFs inside Pale Moon x64 at all - 64-bit-compatible NPAPI plugins are very rare in my experience.

Glad you got it to do what you wanted. :)

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2017-04-07, 17:21

PhilK:

It has been so long since I installed both Viewer and Editor that I don't remember what the setup options were. I know, from looking at their installation instructions, that there is a screen where you can choose.

The .zip file for both Viewer and Editor come with both 32 bit and 64 bit variations, and when you do the install, it will select 32 or 64, depending on your operating system.

In fooling around the Tracker website last night, I see they both also come (came in the case of Viewer) in a Portable version, which does not depend on your computer, and does not install anything on your browser. Of course that won't allow them to open in a browser window, but I see there is a much newer version of Viewer than I have, so I plan to get the Portable version, and see if it is worth updating on my desktop. You can get all back copies of Viewer and Editor on their website.

Harry

PhilK

Unread post by PhilK » 2017-04-07, 18:30

1210_bex wrote:You can get all back copies of Viewer and Editor on their website.

Just be careful with old versions that may have un-fixed security vulnerabilities. ;)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-04-07, 18:37

PhilK wrote:
1210_bex wrote:You can get all back copies of Viewer and Editor on their website.
Just be careful with old versions that may have un-fixed security vulnerabilities. ;)
As a rule, security vulnerabilities are less of a thing with extensions as the biggest issue is useability and stability issues. Though there have been and are exceptions.

bigjohns

Unread post by bigjohns » 2017-08-22, 22:08

A link to this software?

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2017-08-23, 04:00

bigjohns wrote:A link to this software?
https://www.tracker-software.com/produc ... nge-viewer

Harry

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-08-23, 10:53

Seems the Viewer has been abandoned/discontinued, in favour of the Editor.

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2017-08-23, 11:49

back2themoon wrote:Seems the Viewer has been abandoned/discontinued, in favour of the Editor.
That's simply not true. Yes, they say that it's discontinued, but it has never stopped receiving updates. The most recent one was less than two weeks ago.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-08-23, 11:54

So you are basically calling the developers drunken liars. It's clearly stated in the product's page. A recent update doesn't mean they won't (or already have) discontinue it.

bigjohns

Unread post by bigjohns » 2017-08-23, 20:32

back2themoon wrote:So you are basically calling the developers drunken liars. It's clearly stated in the product's page. A recent update doesn't mean they won't (or already have) discontinue it.
Updates or not - it's a 'in the browser' way to view a PDF without download/ click click click - right? So WINNING!

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2017-08-23, 20:44

back2themoon wrote:So you are basically calling the developers drunken liars. It's clearly stated in the product's page. A recent update doesn't mean they won't (or already have) discontinue it.
They put that notice up over a year ago. While it's entirely possible that they will finally decide to stop updating it, it hasn't happened yet. Who am I to believe? Them or my lying eyes?

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-08-23, 21:40

bigjohns wrote:Updates or not - it's a 'in the browser' way to view a PDF without download/ click click click - right?
Their Editor provides the same functionality (and more) and since PDF files have been known for various security vulnerabilities then yes, you do want your browser PDF plugin updated and current.
Cassette wrote: Who am I to believe? Them or my lying eyes?
It's their programs, so I'd believe them.

paulri
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by paulri » 2017-08-23, 22:38

From the Tracker Software download page:

PDF-XChange Viewer

The smallest, fastest, most feature-rich PDF reader/viewer available

View, modify, and annotate PDF files
Free OCR included
Replaced by PDF-XChange Editor

Current Version: 2.5.322.7 (Updated on 11 Aug 2017)

Looks like it was updated to me.

I realize that Tracker has "discontinued" this product in favor of their editor (I found the above info from their "Discontinued Downloads" page), but they themselves just said they updated it earlier this month. It looks like all it is getting at this point is bug and security fixes. So perhaps what they meant was that they won't insert feature updates.
Paul

If you have found a solution to your problem, please click on the check mark icon of the post that answers your question, so as to alert others who have the same problem.

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2017-08-24, 03:51

back2themoon wrote:Their Editor provides the same functionality (and more) and since PDF files have been known for various security vulnerabilities then yes, you do want your browser PDF plugin updated and current.
I have both Viewer and Editor. Yes, Editor has more features, but I found that Viewer was much more useful for me. And if I want to do anything special, I have PDF Tools (which I think has also been discontinued).

If you have the Pro version, as I do, then the updates are not 'free'. You have to subscribe annually to get them.

Harry

hier_kommt_luis

Unread post by hier_kommt_luis » 2018-05-08, 13:07

I used to work with both Viewer/Editor as well, but there is no any updates to second one have come out for a time, not sure would it be safe to use it now. Also, there's no chance to me to get back to Adobe Acrobat (bet everybody in this thread feels me on that), so I've stopped on this tool: https://edit-pdf.pdffiller.com/ They don't have official support of Pale Moon, apparently, but there were no issues in my very case for almost half of a year. The features kit is the same as Editor had, but in less complicated fashion. As far as I know, this one has been using to fill official forms at most, but I found it fits well for other purposes

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-05-08, 13:51

hier_kommt_luis wrote:I used to work with both Viewer/Editor as well, but there is no any updates to second one have come out for a time, not sure would it be safe to use it now.
The Viewer has been discontinued and the Editor has been updated six times in 2018, most recently two weeks ago. What exactly are you talking about?

nord1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by nord1 » 2018-07-26, 12:47

IMO, there are several pdf plugins that can work with PaleMoon, my personal favorite is SumatraPDF Browser Plugin 2.5.2.0.

N
-N-
Framework, Windows 11 Pro, Basilisk, Panda Dome, MalwareBytesPremium, Scotty is On Patrol

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2018-07-26, 23:26

The "Discontinued" PDF-XChange Viewer was updated earlier this month. Get it from the official webpage

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2018-07-28, 05:15

Cassette wrote:The "Discontinued" PDF-XChange Viewer was updated earlier this month. Get it from the official webpage
But if one currently has the 'PRO' version, the latest upgrade will only recognize your serial number IF you have resubscribed to 'PRO' within the last year. Otherwise, it will revert to the basic trial version. So be careful.

Harry
Last edited by 1210_bex on 2018-07-28, 05:16, edited 1 time in total.