Intel Identity Protection Technology

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Intel Identity Protection Technology

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-01-26, 18:51

I hope this is placed in the proper board. Also, if the answer to my question is already posted somewhere here on the forum, or on the main site, sorry!

I noticed today in the unstable build, in about:addons, that there are two Intel Identity Protection Technology plug-ins. Do they come bundled with the unstable build? This is on my wife's computer which also has Firefox, and they are not listed there.

half-moon

Re: Intel Identity Protection Technology

Unread post by half-moon » 2017-01-26, 20:50

helloimustbegoing wrote:I hope this is placed in the proper board. Also, if the answer to my question is already posted somewhere here on the forum, or on the main site, sorry!

I noticed today in the unstable build, in about:addons, that there are two Intel Identity Protection Technology plug-ins. Do they come bundled with the unstable build?
I don't use the unstable builds, but I doubt it.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-01-26, 21:24

Someone else brought this up recently who saw these listed in PM 27.03: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14546
They were thought to come "bundled with" the new PC.
(Don't know why they're not listed in FF.)

I'm using the unstable build (portable version) on an not-new Win 7 and don't have these plugins.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-01-26, 22:21

Thanks for the link coffeebreak (btw, that's a cool user name). I'll have to do more research on them. It's interesting that they don't show up in Firefox. I'm interested to know why.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-01-26, 22:27

helloimustbegoing wrote:It's interesting that they don't show up in Firefox. I'm interested to know why.
Firefox x64 & Pale Moon x86?

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-01-26, 22:31

JustOff wrote:
Firefox x64 & Pale Moon x86?
Yes. Now why didn't I think of this?

Does anyone know if these plugins pose a security/privacy risk?

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-01-26, 22:39

Found a couple of things.

1. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1076445

If this guy knows what he's talking about, he suggests to set them to "Never Activate" because they will bypass the browser's built in privacy features.

2. http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/Intel-Identity-Protection-Technology-13783-program.aspx

This website gives a couple of ways to delete these plugins. Not sure what I should do.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-01-26, 22:48

helloimustbegoing wrote:Does anyone know if these plugins pose a security/privacy risk?
I always set such crap to "never activate", I think it's enough to be safe.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-01-28, 05:28

Setting plugins to "never activate" means the libraries are not loaded (NPAPI plugins are loaded on-the-fly), so it will be completely equivalent to not having them on your system at all.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

joe04

Unread post by joe04 » 2017-01-28, 07:26

I also have both of them. They're part of vendor crapware shipped with the PC. In theory they're a good idea, to improve encryption with hardware means, but in reality nobody actually uses them. So they're disabled.

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2017-01-28, 13:29

joe04 wrote:I also have both of them. They're part of vendor crapware shipped with the PC. In theory they're a good idea, to improve encryption with hardware means, but in reality nobody actually uses them. So they're disabled.
I don't know about that. Intel just simply can't be trusted these days.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-01-28, 13:50

FYI, Brian Bernard of Intel did contact me about a browser hardening proposal (inside the browser itself, called SGX) last November/December. I evaluated their setup and found it more useful for commercial software that want to protect their copyright, patented software modules or business secrets in their software (where binary reverse-engineering and/or modification is a major concern) rather than it being useful for us. After some discussion I gracefully declined implementing it, even if they offered the necessary hardware (specific generations of Intel processors) to support this code as part of the development strategy.

You may or may not trust Intel, but they are putting forward some interesting software/hardware hybrid technologies, and these kinds of technologies are primarily aimed at businesses, who can't afford (literally) to be screwed over in the trust department by these things (and if it came to light, Intel would be breaking their own windows, so it is really in their own interest to be on the level.)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by adisib » 2017-01-28, 17:08

half-moon wrote: I don't know about that. Intel just simply can't be trusted these days.
Agreed

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-01-30, 14:40

You may or may not trust Intel, but they are putting forward some interesting software/hardware hybrid technologies
The whole point is who are interested, it is right that most likely business, but criminals and surveillance too. So i say that individual users better not use such things.

redblade7

Unread post by redblade7 » 2017-01-31, 22:22

helloimustbegoing wrote:I hope this is placed in the proper board. Also, if the answer to my question is already posted somewhere here on the forum, or on the main site, sorry!

I noticed today in the unstable build, in about:addons, that there are two Intel Identity Protection Technology plug-ins. Do they come bundled with the unstable build? This is on my wife's computer which also has Firefox, and they are not listed there.
It's something really really bad that you should disable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Act ... Technology

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-01-31, 23:59

redblade, please make sure you understand which technology is talked about. IPT != AMT

ArchieLukas

Unread post by ArchieLukas » 2017-04-14, 15:34

The gist of it appears this to be a leftover from Win 7/8
the browsers pick it up and install it - not updated since 2014

Probably obsolete, disabling it seems to make zero difference, especially if you use a decent a/v program

Note: Firefox has already removed it, only Palemoon seems to have kept it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-14, 23:03

ArchieLukas wrote:Note: Firefox has already removed it, only Palemoon seems to have kept it.
If it's a plugin, then that is because Firefox no longer supports plugins (except their special exception for Adobe Flash, because... why not make a special exception for your buddy and leaving everyone else out in the cold, eh?)

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-04-27, 21:26

ArchieLukas wrote:Note: Firefox has already removed it, only Pale Moon seems to have kept it.
For those who are new to this discussion, may I direct you to the roadmap to Firefox's decimation...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14846
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀