Palemoon 27.0.2 frequent crash (Flash plugin)

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

milsabords

Palemoon 27.0.2 frequent crash (Flash plugin)

Unread post by milsabords » 2016-12-08, 22:53

From Windows events:

Nom de l’application défaillante palemoon.exe, version : 27.0.2.6178, horodatage : 0x58406862
Nom du module défaillant : igd10iumd32.dll, version : 10.18.10.4276, horodatage : 0x55d1ff95
Code d’exception : 0xc0000005
Décalage d’erreur : 0x00044d52
ID du processus défaillant : 0x256c
Heure de début de l’application défaillante : 0x01d2519e286cde6f
Chemin d’accès de l’application défaillante : D:\Programmes\Pale Moon\palemoon.exe
Chemin d’accès du module défaillant: C:\windows\system32\igd10iumd32.dll
ID de rapport : 2b59f129-bd94-11e6-bfe0-54bef783d328
Nom complet du package défaillant :
ID de l’application relative au package défaillant :

Nom de l’application défaillante plugin-container.exe, version : 27.0.2.6178, horodatage : 0x583eb951
Nom du module défaillant : mozalloc.dll, version : 27.0.2.6178, horodatage : 0x583eb868
Code d’exception : 0x80000003
Décalage d’erreur : 0x000010bc
ID du processus défaillant : 0x970
Heure de début de l’application défaillante : 0x01d2519e30d10813
Chemin d’accès de l’application défaillante : D:\Programmes\Pale Moon\plugin-container.exe
Chemin d’accès du module défaillant: D:\Programmes\Pale Moon\mozalloc.dll
ID de rapport : 2dabafcb-bd94-11e6-bfe0-54bef783d328
Nom complet du package défaillant :
ID de l’application relative au package défaillant :
Last edited by Moonchild on 2016-12-11, 09:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clarified cause

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Palemoon 27.0.2 frequent crash

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-12-08, 23:36

The first reported crash is your Intel video driver crashing.

The second reported crash is a plugin crashing (likely) by running out of memory.

Both of these can be related to the Flash player plugin. Please try opening a page with Flash-based content (video or similar), right-clicking the plugin area and switching off hardware acceleration in the plugin. (uncheck the checkbox)
Image2.png
Image2.png (4.71 KiB) Viewed 3424 times
Image1.png
Image1.png (9.6 KiB) Viewed 3424 times
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

milsabords

Unread post by milsabords » 2016-12-09, 13:22

Thanks, I did not have any crash since applying your fix.

Two details:
The two events are the same crash, I assume that the plugin container ailed first.
I had similar events using an Nvidia display card, so I doubt that the Intel graphics adapter is at fault.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-12-09, 14:47

Yeah, the plugin crashing probably seriously broke the drawing surface for the plugin area, that can crash any driver with the right (wrong) circumstances.
Glad to hear it fixed your problem.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

milsabords

Unread post by milsabords » 2016-12-10, 10:31

Quick question: why are there 5 Shockwave Flash plugins in the Add-ons Manager ?

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-12-10, 10:58

Did you have different versions installed?
Take a look at windows system control and uninstall the old ones.

milsabords

Unread post by milsabords » 2016-12-10, 11:29

New crash data, extracted using Nirsot Appcrashview.
Events.txt
(24.09 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

milsabords

Unread post by milsabords » 2016-12-10, 11:45

@darkmoon

I have looked with the Control Panel applet and with Revo Uninstaller. The only Adobe products installed are:
Adobe Flash Player 23 NPAPI (5.35 MB)
Adobe Flash Player 23 PPAPI (19.53 M)

Palemoon Add-on Mgr shows versions 18, 19, 20, 21, 23.

dataprep
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by dataprep » 2016-12-10, 12:30

Moonchild, I, too, have experienced Adobe Flash Player plug-in crashes with PM 27.0.2. This occurs when I am listening to an online radio station, just audio streaming, no video streaming. I have listened to this online radio station for years and I experienced no problems while listening in PM 26. Would unchecking the "Enable hardware acceleration" work for my situation also? I do not have video driver crashes like milsabords. On the other hand, I have read other posts suggesting the problem may be with the Adobe Flash Player plug-in itself and that I should revert to the current ESR version of Flash Player. What do you suggest? I look forward to your response.

I should add, outside of this issue, I really enjoy and appreciate version 27 of Pale Moon. You and your team did a fabulous job over the last eight months in completely re-engineering the Pale Moon browser! I can only imagine the amount of work everyone put in to make this happen. Kudos to you and the entire team!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-12-11, 09:49

Even if it's audio-only, it may still hit the "bad" code path that makes things crash - although less likely, probably.

Flash player 23 is simply not as stable as it should be. If you keep having issues with it, then I do recommend you roll back to the latest ESR version of the Flash plugin.
Use the uninstaller supplied by Adobe, and then grab the latest ESR version of the plugin -- remember to disable automatic updates in the flash installer when you do.
I've had to do the same to help a friend out myself here who kept having crashes. ESR18 fixed it all.

Hopefully Adobe will get their act together and fix these stability issues in their next release(s).

If you have trouble finding the ESR plugin installer, send me a PM.

dataprep
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: Palemoon 27.0.2 frequent crash (Flash plugin)

Unread post by dataprep » 2016-12-12, 17:48

Moonchild, thanks much for the reply!!

However, after investigating and doing a lot of testing, I determined my problem was due to the uBlock Origin extension. After experiencing slow launch times with PM 27 due to ABL 3.5, I substituted uBlock Origin as an adblocker for ABL 3.5. uBlock Origin is very powerful in filtering websites, not just for ads but trackers, malware sites, certain types of tags, designated scripts, etc.. The developer calls uBlock Origin a "wide-spread blocker" - I agree completely. Unfortunately, I found uBlock's filtering of website connections to be too aggressive - it caused the issue with audio streaming via Adobe Flash Player, i.e. the crashing of the plugin-container. In certain circumstances, uBlock made the Pale Moon browser itself unstable, due to its extensive filtering.

I was very happy to see Moonchild quickly revised ABL 3.0.3.1 and made it compatible with PM 27, releasing it as ABL 4.0. That made my decision to uninstall uBlock Origin and reinstall ABL very easy.

p.s. Other PM users also use uBlock Origin as their adblocker and may be experiencing problems as well. I installed uBlock using the default values. uBlock's default values use 1) uBlock's own filter lists; 2) EasyList; 3) EasyPrivacy; 4) Peter Lowe's Ad server list; 5) Malware Domain List; and 6) Malware domains. I fear many of these users will encounter similar problems and may attribute the problems to the Pale Moon browser.

kizo07

Unread post by kizo07 » 2016-12-12, 19:22

I haven't tried ABL, but uBlock Origin works flawlessly on my system (Win 10 x64, PM 27.02 portable x64, Shockwave flash 23.0.0. 27 plugin). I'm agree that uBlock is a quite 'powerful'. It took a couple of weeks to figure out 'right configuration'. Still not sure if is optimal configuration but it works for me. Blocked globally 'inline, 1st and 3rd-party scripts, and 3rd-party frames' and then 'white listed' per site basis. That and uMatrix give me a very nice user experience (it's important to unblock hosts in uBlock if you use together with uMatrix).
Otherwise, my own experience with PM is, if something is 'broken', 'not working', 'crashes' is 99% my own fault ..bad configuration off OS generally, virus/malware or PM it's self (add blockers, etc).
Just as said ..PM 27.02 works flawlessly on my system..nothing is broken, no crashes... it's just a little 'worry' ..how to change color and size on Pale Moon button in default theme :)

milsabords

Unread post by milsabords » 2016-12-13, 14:15

Hi,
I have deleted the dll of the older versions of the Flash plug-in and reinstalled v23.
No more crash.

truthseeker53
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by truthseeker53 » 2017-02-26, 01:47

Where do I find the "plug in area" to perform "right-clicking the plugin area and switching off hardware acceleration in the plugin. (uncheck the checkbox)".
Also is there a way to permanently check the "Notify me when a reply is posted" box?

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-02-26, 09:21

Plugins can be configured in the addon-overview, or open that url: about:plugins
Hardware acceleration can be configured in Pale Moon settings under extented. But hardware acceleration for flash is a different thing. This need to configured on the adobe site or in your windows control settings.

Yes. Just subscribe the topic.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-02-26, 13:48

truthseeker53 wrote:Where do I find the "plug in area" to perform "right-clicking the plugin area and switching off hardware acceleration in the plugin.
Any page that uses flash! right-click on the actual flash content area.