64-bit SumatraPDF NPAPI plugin

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

ehrbar

64-bit SumatraPDF NPAPI plugin

Unread post by ehrbar » 2016-11-23, 23:43

I use 64-bit Pale Moon.
I use 64-bit SumatraPDF as my primary PDF reader.
With the disabling of the internal Pale Moon PDF reader as of version 27.0, I need a plugin to view PDFs.
I cannot find any source to download the 64-bit version of the SumatraPDF NPAPI plugin. In particular, the version that was linked by Moonchild on these forums at ftp://archive:get@ftp.palemoon.org/misc ... .2-x64.zip is now apparently inaccessible.

So, can anybody point me to a source for that file?

JodyThornton

Re: 64-bit SumatraPDF NPAPI plugin

Unread post by JodyThornton » 2016-11-24, 02:09

You need to download and install an older revision of SumatraPDF first (perhaps from the 2x series), and install the PDF plugin. Then upgrade to the current version and "keep" the plugin installed.

ehrbar

Unread post by ehrbar » 2016-11-24, 02:33

Sorry, you don't seem to have understood at all.

The available-for-download official 2.x series SumatraPDFs are 32-bit builds, and the plugin from them does not work with 64-bit Pale Moon and 64-bit SumatraPDF. It would do absolutely no good for me to install any of the official 2.x series downloads.

The old unofficial-alternative 64-bit builds of the 2.x series were taken down back by their compilers a while ago, and any references you find online are dead links. Therefore, it is impossible to download and install one of them.

The 2.5.2 NPAPI plugin compiled for x64 used to be available from the Pale Moon FTP site at ftp://archive:get@ftp.palemoon.org/misc ... .2-x64.zip but no longer is.

Therefore, I need someone who actually and personally has the proper x64-compiled 2.5.2 plugin (or whole package) to send it to me, or for someone who has actually and personally verified by testing a link to the proper x64-compiled 2.5.2 plugin (or whole package) to provide that tested-just-before-posting link.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2016-11-24, 12:14

ehrbar wrote:The 2.5.2 NPAPI plugin compiled for x64 used to be available from the Pale Moon FTP site at ftp://archive:get@ftp.palemoon.org/misc ... .2-x64.zip but no longer is.
It's still there, it's just the link was out-of-date.
Here is the current link: ftp://archive:get@ftp2.palemoon.org/misc/Sumatra-PDF-2.5.2-x64.zip

For anyone interested, here's where the link to that file was originally posted: PDF document reading in PMx64

ehrbar

Unread post by ehrbar » 2016-11-24, 22:06

coffeebreak wrote:It's still there, it's just the link was out-of-date.
Here is the current link: ftp://archive:get@ftp2.palemoon.org/misc/Sumatra-PDF-2.5.2-x64.zip
Wooo! Thank you thankyou thankyouthankyou!

JodyThornton

Unread post by JodyThornton » 2016-11-25, 01:16

No I understood. However, I used an experimental x64 build from another author who recompiled the app for 64-bit use, and I have only recently migrated to the x64 version provided by the original author. Funny, for awhile he saw no need to even provide an x64 app.

pilopo

Unread post by pilopo » 2016-11-27, 01:59

I built a new version using the plugin source code merged with the latest code of sumatrapdf. The extension uses sumatra pdf directly so this is not really necessary though. The source code is here. It compiles well with VS2015: https://github.com/helohe/sumatrapdf

Channel 2012

Found the files, but where do they go?

Unread post by Channel 2012 » 2016-11-27, 21:40

ehrbar wrote:
Where exactly do those files need to be placed after they're unzipped?

pilopo

Re: Found the files, but where do they go?

Unread post by pilopo » 2016-11-28, 18:55

Channel 2012 wrote:
ehrbar wrote:
Where exactly do those files need to be placed after they're unzipped?
Place them in the same folder as where you installed sumatra pdf. Then register the plugin from the command line with:
regsvr32 npPdfViewer.dll

ehrbar

Re: Found the files, but where do they go?

Unread post by ehrbar » 2016-11-30, 00:21

pilopo wrote:
Channel 2012 wrote:Where exactly do those files need to be placed after they're unzipped?
Place them in the same folder as where you installed sumatra pdf. Then register the plugin from the command line with:
regsvr32 npPdfViewer.dll
That is probably the best way. However, I went to %appdata%\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\[randomstring].default\ , created a \plugins\ folder, and dropped the npPdfViewer.dll in it.

Channel 2012

It hasn't been found...

Unread post by Channel 2012 » 2016-12-04, 16:22

ehrbar wrote:
pilopo wrote:
Channel 2012 wrote:Where exactly do those files need to be placed after they're unzipped?
regsvr32 npPdfViewer.dll
That is probably the best way. However, I went to %appdata%\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\[randomstring].default\ , created a \plugins\ folder, and dropped the npPdfViewer.dll in it.
With that, it's just giving me "Error: SumatraPDF hasn't been found!" when trying to view a PDF in the browser.

ehrbar

Re: It hasn't been found...

Unread post by ehrbar » 2016-12-05, 17:35

Channel 2012 wrote:With that, it's just giving me "Error: SumatraPDF hasn't been found!" when trying to view a PDF in the browser.
Do you have the full 64-bit SumatraPDF otherwise installed already? Have you gone into Options/Applications and told Pale Moon to use the plugin for PDFs?

Channel 2012

Reply to uncreative title reply

Unread post by Channel 2012 » 2016-12-06, 00:45

ehrbar wrote:
Channel 2012 wrote:With that, it's just giving me "Error: SumatraPDF hasn't been found!" when trying to view a PDF in the browser.
Do you have the full 64-bit SumatraPDF otherwise installed already? Have you gone into Options/Applications and told Pale Moon to use the plugin for PDFs?
Yep.

ehrbar

Unread post by ehrbar » 2016-12-07, 02:07

Huh. No idea, then.

Channel 2012

Troubleshooting

Unread post by Channel 2012 » 2016-12-07, 14:23

ehrbar wrote:Huh. No idea, then.
Maybe we can troubleshoot it. Just to recap, I've placed the npPdfViewer.dll file inside of the "AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\[profile].default\plugins" folder and installed version 3.1.2 of SumatraPDF (the 64bit version) using the latest available installer from their website. Is that what your setup pretty much looks like?

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2016-12-07, 18:15

Channel 2012 wrote:Maybe we can troubleshoot it.

You'll find detailed instructions for installing the SumatraPDF x64 plugin in this thread: Viewing PDFs inside a browser tab.

Channel 2012

SOLVED!

Unread post by Channel 2012 » 2016-12-08, 18:31

coffeebreak wrote:
Channel 2012 wrote:Maybe we can troubleshoot it.

You'll find detailed instructions for installing the SumatraPDF x64 plugin in this thread: Viewing PDFs inside a browser tab.
I think I got it working! :D HaleSun's trick worked. I'll test this out on my other computer, and if it works there, it might just be time to upgrade to Pale Moon 27 on the main machine :clap: .