Compatibility Checker for Pale Moon 27

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

JohnB316

Compatibility Checker for Pale Moon 27

Unread post by JohnB316 » 2016-10-19, 02:58

I am a happy user of Pale Moon on my work laptop. However, when I downloaded the Compatibility checker from your web site, the Symantec system protection tool that is on my laptop flagged the file as malicious and proceeded to delete it. WTF is wrong with Symantec? (FWIW, if I had my druthers about anti-virus software, I wouldn't use Symantec or Crapafee, but since this is a work laptop, I'm at the mercy of what the corporate IT gurus deem best.). Anyway, I thought one of the development team would want to know this in case other system protection tools flag the file as malicious.

Cheers,
John

megaman

Re: Compatibility Checker for Pale Moon 27

Unread post by megaman » 2016-10-19, 04:45

Yes, we have been aware since the program was released privately to the BETA testers before the public tried it. The only one that can fill you in on why is Moonchild. It's indeed safe and a false positive. If you aren't sure, or have doubts, by all means, do not use it.

Frasier
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Frasier » 2016-10-19, 06:42

v27 Compatibility Checking Tool. Last two sentences of post.
The file size is 1,136,792 Bytes (1.1 MB) and it is, as usual, code-signed to verify it's original and unaltered. (Signer: Markus Straver)
Some antivirus suites may still complain because of the way this tool was built (using a rapid development suite).

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2016-10-19, 07:42

Symantec have made a fortune out of pretending to keep people secure.

Avast Free cleared the original, non-signed version within 15 seconds. the later versions, no problems at all.

Symantec's scanner cleared it at Virustotal: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/c023 ... /analysis/

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-10-19, 10:45

megaman wrote:The only one that can fill you in on why is Moonchild. It's indeed safe and a false positive.
A little background here:
The tool (as are a number of other helper applications for Pale Moon) is written using a RAD suite. Overzealous antivirus programs, especially those that don't actually do any behavioral scanning or want to "mark everything unknown as must be deleted" will generally not like any tool developed using RAD software, because there have been several script-kiddie level malware programs out there that were created with the same tools.
Basically saying: "At some point in time someone abused this suite to create malware, so we must mark everything created with it as bad, forever, because it has the potential of being bad."

Symantec has a broken heuristics engine that hasn't been updated in years, and only has an ever-growing list of white-listed applications for their hundreds of known false positives to "fix" these problems. I don't think they have any interest (and likely not the development capacity/expertise either) to actually solve any of their scanning engine problems since most of their tools were simply acquired from other companies to milk them.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite