Something to make Youtube less annoying?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Octopuss

Something to make Youtube less annoying?

Unread post by Octopuss » 2016-07-02, 11:46

I have no idea whether I am looking for extension or a plugin, whatever either of that means, but I NEED something that would let me remove all the annoying garbage from Youtube and configure the whole thing to usable state, and which works in Pale Moon.
There is/used to be YouTubeCenter, but it's been abandoned, plus it's a bit overdone with what you can configure anyway.
Is there even anything like that?

Thehandyman1957

Re: Something to make Youtube less annoying?

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2016-07-02, 16:56

Octopuss wrote:I have no idea whether I am looking for extension or a plugin, whatever either of that means, but I NEED something that would let me remove all the annoying garbage from Youtube and configure the whole thing to usable state, and which works in Pale Moon.
There is/used to be YouTubeCenter, but it's been abandoned, plus it's a bit overdone with what you can configure anyway.
Is there even anything like that?
I use the Scriptish 0.1.13pre with this script. YouTube Center 2.1.7

But it is very buggy and they say to use the dev build and htlm5 instead.

I had problems with the dev build and memory run away so I'm not to sure that it is a solution.

As far as I know there is no other Add on that did what Youtube Center did. :think:

I have disabled the script and re-downloaded the dev build. I will watch and see but
it is definitely not as buggy. Will watch the memory usage for the next few days.
Last edited by Thehandyman1957 on 2016-07-02, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2016-07-02, 17:17

I've done a quick search and came up empty. Why not just use YouTube Center if it does what you want?

Carl-Robert

Unread post by Carl-Robert » 2016-07-02, 18:16

Posted this on another thread, but since this is the best way I have found to use YouTube, I hope it is relevant here as well:
A solid workaround for any YouTube nonsense is to use the GreaseMonkey port https://github.com/janekptacijarabaci/g ... y/releases and ViewTube userscript http://isebaro.com/viewtube/?ln=en with VLC-plugin (64-bit version for 64-bit Pale Moon). Then go to any video on YouTube and set the settings like this to get the most of it: Image. This way you will not have buffering issues as long as your connection is fast enough, thanks to the Direct Link setting and the quality is the best you can get from this service without downloading the video. You have all resolutions working with DASH as well (and can disable autoplay by hitting the AP button if wish so). As a plus, the videos now work with no javascript as well.

However recently VLC 64-bit has had some trouble with low def videos with direct link, so then you have to click on the first drop down and pick any of the blue colored resolutions (preferably MP4). This isn't a problem with 32-bit and is a bug on the current 64-bit version, so should hopefully get fixed. To fix everything, wait for next release or copy the text from here https://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=b ... ua;hb=HEAD to C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\youtube.lua (or where your VLC is installed). Apparently there has been a change on YouTube, and the .lua parser is not up to date with it on the last release, so have to update manually.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2016-07-02, 22:20

I have found that just using the HTML5 request with Youtube and removing all Youtube add on's
just works better. I was having nothing but problems with flash and Youtube.
I no longer have vids stop for no reason and just never restart.

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2016-07-03, 11:03

Off-topic:
Octopuss wrote:I have no idea whether I am looking for extension or a plugin, whatever either of that means...
  • There are several kinds of add-ons that customize Pale Moon in different ways:
  • Extensions add new features to Pale Moon or modify existing functionality. There are extensions that allow you to block advertisements, download videos from websites, integrate more closely with social websites, and add features you see in other applications.
  • Plugins help Pale Moon display or understand different types of media, such as Adobe Flash or Apple Quicktime.
  • Complete Themes change the entire appearance of Pale Moon, usually including icons, colors, dialogs, and other visual styles.
  • Themes are lightweight themes that use background images to customize your Pale Moon toolbars.

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2016-07-03, 11:17

You could try Magic Actions for YouTube as an alternative to YouTube Center.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2016-07-03, 23:57

Antonius32 wrote:You could try Magic Actions for YouTube as an alternative to YouTube Center.
Hot Dang, now that's cool... :shock: :o 8-)

Thanks. :mrgreen:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-07-04, 10:02

Off-topic:
We use slightly older standard of terminology in the Pale Moon project.

For example.. What Mozilla hides away and calls Complete Themes (most recently heavyweight themes), we merely call Themes (except in a few places where it is still called Complete Themes), and what Mozilla refers to as simply Themes (the toolbar backgrounds) we call either Lightweight Themes (their original name) or Personas (Their longest running marketing name not to be confused with the almost completely defunct OpenID service that came later).

Plugins have been the most consistent as they came first. Add-ons in general use has been used in place of extensions but here at the Pale Moon project we refer to the entire scope of adding stuff on as Add-ons. Though Extensions, Themes, Personas, Dictionaries, Search Engine Plugins (dunno where THAT came from), and Plugins are all types of Add-ons for Pale Moon.. Only extensions are extensions.

Yeah it IS a bit of a mess that has happened over the last several years especially when coming from Mozillaland but we have been trying to establish hard terminology and stick to it since we stopped following Mozilla.

This is all exceedingly off-topic but if you want to open a new thread to discuss the nuances of terminology please open a new thread because I have much more to say on the matter if anyone is interested.. For now, I return you to your regularly scheduled thread, already in progress.