[Solved] Seeking solution for annoying flash player prompt

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

context
Fanatic
Fanatic

[Solved] Seeking solution for annoying flash player prompt

Unread post by context » 2016-06-06, 22:36

For a variety of reasons, I've removed the Adobe Flash Player from my PC and would like to keep it off.

For 99% of my browsing, I would like to just view the placeholder picture ... and not have any video capability. What's happening now is that something—Adobe?—throws an annoying black dialog on top of the picture. I can use "inspect element" and "delete node" to get rid of the blemishing black box ... and then the picture is just fine.

Is there a practical way to intercept the black box (always) and just have the pictures display?

In the original AdBlock, I remember an option to Show Blockable Elements ... which would let me select and block such things. It was an excellent feature and I miss it.
To Remove.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by context on 2016-06-13, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.

dark_moon

Re: Seeking solution for annoying flash player prompt

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-06-09, 16:42

Maybe the site display the image and it isn't coming from Adobe.

If you use the uBlock addon you can see which content is blocked.

context
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Seeking solution for annoying flash player prompt

Unread post by context » 2016-06-11, 05:10

Maybe the site displays the image
Indeed, further investigation revealed that to be true ... and it led me to a solution for the BBC site I was viewing. The answer involves HTML5, which is on the way in as the preferred technology. Here's a link to the config file change to make:
https://unop.uk/dev/how-to-watch-bbc-news-videos-on-a-desktop-without-flash-in-firefox/

I added .bbc to the useragent name, which matches the form of existing entries. And it works for me.

Thanks for the nudge.