Choppy performance on video streams since updating graphcs drivers

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

kyasarintsu

Choppy performance on video streams since updating graphcs drivers

Unread post by kyasarintsu » 2016-04-10, 00:00

Ever since installing some AMD graphics drivers and downloading the Catalyst Control Center, I've been getting very choppy video on Twitch streams and the like. It makes watching them nearly impossible unless the viewer has enough watchers for me to enable low-quality visuals, which is not ideal.
I don't know if there's any settings I can tweak to make my performance better. Toggling hardware acceleration by right-clicking the video player doesn't help (though it resolved a bug with the streams being a green box). Is there anything I can do?
I don't know what most of this stuff means and if it would help, but this is my PC's specs: http://pastebin.com/96DFte1E
I remember my video quality being near-perfect before installing these drivers, which I've needed installed in order for certain games not to crash upon startup.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Choppy performance on video streams since updating graphcs drivers

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-04-10, 00:29

Could you please post the output (as text) of help -> Troubleshooting information in Pale Moon?
The catalyst drivers you have (15.4 I think?) should do just fine for Pale Moon, but maybe there's something specific the troubleshooting info would tell us.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-04-10, 10:13

It seems you have explicitly disabled acceleration:

Code: Select all

gfx.direct2d.disabled: true
layers.acceleration.disabled: true
You may want to re-enable that. Also reset the "gfx.blacklist" entries shown there, then restart the browser.

Streamed video performance is going to be an issue if you have no acceleration and when using HTML5 video. I'm assuming that Twitch with the update of the browser switched to HTML5 as default - you can also see if there is still e.g. a Flash version for Twitch available.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

kyasarintsu

Unread post by kyasarintsu » 2016-04-11, 12:01

Instead of being just plain choppy, my image now keeps slowing down and then jumping forwards to "catch up".