Are there any decent alternatives to Greasmonkey 1.15?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

half-moon

Are there any decent alternatives to Greasmonkey 1.15?

Unread post by half-moon » 2015-05-12, 19:40

Are there any decent alternatives to Greasmonkey 1.15? I remember trying Scriptish a couple years ago and it wasn't fully compatible with some of the scripts I was using.

intofix

Re: Are there any decent alternatives to Greasmonkey 1.15?

Unread post by intofix » 2015-05-29, 00:39

As a fundamental add-on it is a very relevant question which would deserve a response > Unfortunately as he himself confessed Tobin has not the necessary competence to fork it. So for now and probably forever the response is no.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2015-05-29, 09:34

I see some activity here? Though the 10 scripts I'm using have no problems with Greasemonkey 1.15, hopefully these guys can make the latest version work with Pale Moon.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-05-29, 11:15

I have a fork of Scriptish 0.1.13 in our Github space which I'm currently using for ViewTube and it seems to work just fine. Not an extensive user of it though, so YMMV.

https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/scriptish
XPI attached here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2015-05-29, 13:22

Thanks, did a very quick test - couldn't find a way to directly import current scripts. Followed step 1 here. Also not sure if Scriptish has an icon or if it's available on PM but it was a really quick test.

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2015-05-29, 14:56

thank you for the replies.

Tharn

Unread post by Tharn » 2015-05-29, 16:50

Would be nice to have that Scriptish fork on the Palemoon Extensions page, even if it's not a polished release version - it works fine for me. The official builds don't work with a lot of userscripts, scriptish.org is down and having to hunt down the .zip here in the forums doesn't give it much exposure.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-05-29, 16:53

Which would you prefer. Greasemonkey or Scriptish. Scriptish can be forked (as it seems abandoned) and be fully functional but the same complexity and limited development factors come into play.. That doesn't mean the community can't work under it.. Many (There are exceptions) of the new forks by the Add-ons Team are more foundational than our direct intention to continue developing them. As for Greasemoney I want to give them a chance to deal with the bug they have open for us.

Tharn

Unread post by Tharn » 2015-05-29, 17:09

The Scriptish page claims that it's a superior rewrite, so if that's true, it would be the better candidate. Greasemonkey 1.15 works just fine, and the newer versions seem to have some memory troubles. But I don't do code so it's at best an educated guess.

squarefractal

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-05-29, 17:11

I'm using GM 3.2 beta 3, and I'm not facing any problems with the userscripts I use.

Maybe Tobin can consider helping the GM guys?

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2015-05-29, 17:13

Tried Scriptish 0.1.13 a bit more (installed my scripts from scratch) and while it works fine, I got one issue: it confuses ViewTube with ViewTube+. That is, if I install the one it will replace the other. I can't have both. Weird.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-05-29, 17:17

back2themoon wrote:Tried Scriptish 0.1.13 a bit more and while it works fine, I got one issue: it confuses ViewTube with ViewTube+. That is, if I install the one it will replace the other. I can't have both. Weird.
Don't userscripts use a namespace in a similar way we use guids.. If that is the same.. then one would replace the other?

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2015-05-29, 17:20

Matt A Tobin wrote:Don't userscripts use a namespace in a similar way we use guids.. If that is the same.. then one would replace the other?
I really don't know who is to blame here, but they are different scripts (and GM 1.15 works ok with both of them).

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-05-29, 17:23

back2themoon wrote:
Matt A Tobin wrote:Don't userscripts use a namespace in a similar way we use guids.. If that is the same.. then one would replace the other?
I really don't know who is to blame here, but they are different scripts (and GM 1.15 works ok with both of them).
Link me the two user scripts...

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2015-05-29, 17:24

It's the single link I posted above, ViewTube 2015.05.27 is on the left, ViewTube+ is on the right.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-05-29, 17:31

They do share the same namespace so I am pretty sure that is why.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2015-05-29, 17:40

Ok thanks. I'll contact the author and tell him he uses the same namespace on both scripts (if I got it right) and that it causes a problem with Scriptish.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-05-29, 17:45

Chances are this is intentional as to prevent running the two together. Why would you need to.. One implies it is more expansive than the other..

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2015-05-29, 17:54

Matt A Tobin wrote:Chances are this is intentional as to prevent running the two together. Why would you need to.. One implies it is more expansive than the other..
That would make sense but I think ViewTube+ deals with different websites and is not just an "extended" version of ViewTube. Old post from author here.

update: author describes it here as an add-on to ViewTube (and as a "stand-alone addition" elsewhere), so that approach might cause the problem.

intofix

Unread post by intofix » 2015-05-29, 20:48

I use both Greasemonkey 1.15 and Scriptish-nightly, with both no problem with my few scripts but personally i prefer Greasemonkey 1.15 which have not the security feature for copy&paste, not interested in that kind of bullshit. If you want to fork Scriptish not sure at all it is abandoned, also good luck to contact the devs.