Adblock Edge discontinued in favour of uBlock

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Adblock Edge discontinued in favour of uBlock

Unread post by back2themoon » 2015-04-13, 12:36

Interesting development, article here, announcement here. Personally, never had major issues with ABP, ABE and now ABL - love 'em all.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Adblock Edge discontinued in favour of uBlock

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-04-13, 14:44

The discontinuance of Ablock Edge is going to affect me. Although I don't use Firefox anymore in Windows or linux, I do use linux SeaMonkey as my backup browser to linux Pale Moon in linux Mint. In linux SeaMonkey, I use linux Adblock Edge

Right now, there is no linux "uBlock" for linux SeaMonkey. In linux SeaMonkey, it looks like I'll have to use linux Adblock Plus when I re-install linux SeaMonkey to a new linux distro such as Mint 17.2 when it is released.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2015-04-13, 15:20

Night Wing wrote:there is no linux "uBlock" for linux SeaMonkey.
There is a uBlock for Linux SeaMonkey, actually. The latest version of uBlock is available for Pale Moon and SeaMonkey (and Firefox), both for Windows and Linux, at https://github.com/chrisaljoudi/uBlock/releases (Note: the uBlock toolbar button is available only using Version 0.9.4.0 Beta 1 or above). Just click on "uBlock.firefox.xpi", while in Linux SeaMonkey. to install.

Pale Moon and SeaMonkey are compatible with the uBlock and uBlock Origin versions at github. However, the "chrisaljoudi" version of uBlock (version 0.9.4.0 Beta 1 or above) now contains a legacy toolbar button, compatible with Pale Moon and SeaMonkey, and thus is preferred to the uBlock Origin versions. Note that Pale Moon and SeaMonkey are incompatible with all uBlock and uBlock Origin versions currently at AMO.
Last edited by riiis on 2015-05-02, 15:50, edited 6 times in total.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2015-04-13, 15:20

Off-topic:
Night Wing wrote:
The discontinuance of Ablock Edge is going to affect me. Although I don't use Firefox anymore in Windows or linux, I do use linux SeaMonkey as my backup browser to linux Pale Moon in linux Mint. In linux SeaMonkey, I use linux Adblock Edge
This may be a dumb question, but will Adblock Latitude work on SeaMonkey?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-04-13, 15:49

helloimustbegoing wrote:This may be a dumb question, but will Adblock Latitude work on SeaMonkey?[/offtopic]
I use linux SeaMonkey in linux Mint 17. I don't use Windows SeaMonkey in Windows 7. I'm guessing "no" and the key word is......guessing.

However, with regards to Windows or linux Pale Moon, the best person to know if Adbock Latitude will work in Windows SeaMonkey or linux SeaMonkey is Tobin so hopefully he'll see this topic and chime in.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-04-13, 17:15

ABL is Pale Moon exclusive.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

JodyThornton

Unread post by JodyThornton » 2015-04-23, 15:11

Thanks for bringing uBlock to my attention. I'm using it with an updated EasyList right now. A LOT faster than AdBlock Plus/Latitude.

Tharn

Unread post by Tharn » 2015-04-24, 09:52

Cheers! If you want to go even lighter, you could give the new RequestPolicy beta a try, and just use uBlock for cosmetic leftover filtering. Although RequestPolicy requires some tinkering, I'd recommend it if you don't mind setting up per-site permissions and you don't go to 20 new and previously unknown webpages every day. uBlock's amazing sister-addon called uMatrix is currently only available for Chrome, but uMatrix is basically NoScript and RequestPolicy all merged into one light package. Eagerly awaiting for that to be ported.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2015-04-24, 18:38

Tharn wrote:uBlock's amazing sister-addon called uMatrix is currently only available for Chrome, but uMatrix is basically NoScript and RequestPolicy all merged into one light package. Eagerly awaiting for that to be ported.
Cant wait for this for pale moon!

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-04-24, 22:40

Legacy Toolbar Button Test Build 1 https://github.com/chrisaljoudi/uBlock/issues/1315 or https://github.com/AlexVallat/uBlock/releases/tag/0.9.3.5-dev-av.1 Yes! The only issue is the UI seems to be a little glitchy or off.
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

tuxman

Unread post by tuxman » 2015-04-25, 11:25

Running uBlock with my Firefoxes (on those machines which can't use Adguard), I'm really looking forward to PM compatibility. :)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-04-25, 11:57

Keep me informed. Though even if we get a proper widget I am still concerned about it jumping SDK versions and becoming technologically incompatible with Pale Moon. But least if the groundwork is laid it can be forked off by someone to maintain a truly working version for us.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-04-25, 17:04

There seems to be more issues with Ublocks panel not working with Linux Mint 17.1 and Ubuntu 14.10, mainly there buttons in pop-up panel. This version should fix some of it: https://github.com/AlexVallat/uBlock/releases/tag/0.9.3.5-dev-av.2
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2015-04-27, 13:40

Off-topic:
I was on youtube and at one point, the ublock button said it blocked 220 things.

superA

Unread post by superA » 2015-04-27, 14:46

half-moon wrote:
Off-topic:
I was on youtube and at one point, the ublock button said it blocked 220 things.
Its just the Easyprivacy list.

wolfrun

Unread post by wolfrun » 2015-04-27, 15:06

Palemoon uBlock.GIF
Have download the Legacy Toolbar Button Test from here https://github.com/AlexVallat/uBlock/re ... 5-dev-av.1 and uBlock icon is now showing. Followed the instruction in about:config and am using Dynamic filtering which seems to be working with request blocks showing along with continuous count of blocks since install working too. Element blocker is working as well. :clap:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2015-04-27, 18:57

Off-topic:
half-moon wrote:I was on youtube and at one point, the ublock button said it blocked 220 things.
I get 496 on Twitch streaming.
Meh, it's steadily increasing over time.

Tharn

Unread post by Tharn » 2015-04-28, 11:21

Off-topic:
That's twitch for you. Any kind of content filter like RequestPolicy, uMatrix or uBlock will give you a quickly growing number of requests (and some memory) if you watch a livestream there.
The legacy button version works well. Now dynamic filtering is possible without it being a hassle. uBlock has finally replaced RequestPolicy and the need for massive filter lists for me. :thumbup:

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-05-02, 04:56

AlexVallat and chrisaljoudi at github has released v0.9.4.0 Beta 1of Ublock (legacy ublock).

Link: https://github.com/chrisaljoudi/uBlock/releases

Tharn

Unread post by Tharn » 2015-05-02, 11:43

Glad to see the legacy button is making it into the main branch.

Edit: Nevermind on the issue, that probably happened because behind-the-scene wasn't whitelisted.