Integrate commen addon Features

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Bananensaft

Integrate commen addon Features

Unread post by Bananensaft » 2015-03-31, 13:50

What would the implications of integrating common addons into the browser be?

Do they run faster/slower?
Any chance of better integration?
Independence?

When you add features that are not active by default, do they waste ram? Or disk space only?

Is it feasible in terms of maintenance or even easier when integrated?

I ask that because:
Whenever I install a browser I install addons that are essential. I have to restart a bunch of times, set all the things up... It wastes time.
Especially when managing multi user systems. I have to put addons into the global addons folder manually everytime and when updating to install them for every user, also changing settings for all users is a similar hassle.
It even matters when using multiple profiles in the same user account because I need to maintain addons and settings for every profile instead of for all.
(Best thing against social networks tracking stuff is having them in a separate profile)

Wouldnt it be better if some of the most used addon functions are integrated and adjustable in main settings?

Adblocking
Better Tab Handling (Tabmixplus or vertical tabs and the like)
Video grabbing
Greasemonkey/Stylish like website modifier engines
scriptwhitelisting and cross domain request blocking
fine grained cookie handling (user set cookie destruction rules)

and some I forgot

SvenG

Re: Integrate commen addon Features

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-03-31, 16:00

Bananensaft wrote:Whenever I install a browser I install addons that are essential
Nope, you don't, you install extension that YOU find essential. That doesn't necessarily mean anything for others.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-03-31, 16:10

Bananensaft wrote:Adblocking
Better Tab Handling (Tabmixplus or vertical tabs and the like)
Video grabbing
Greasemonkey/Stylish like website modifier engines
scriptwhitelisting and cross domain request blocking
fine grained cookie handling (user set cookie destruction rules)
To illustrate Sven's point. Of these, I would only use one. The thing about extensions is that it is the user's choice whether they want to extend the browser with such features or not (and their choice which of the available options for each of the extended functions they want to use).

Pale Moon is supposed to be "Your browser, Your way" and not "loaded with whatever is popular at the moment" ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2015-03-31, 16:17

I find that very few addons are really essential. I currently use 5.

AdBlock Latitude and Google search link fix are definitely good to have, but are clearly addons to be mantained separately.
NoSquint is definitely essential for my presbyopia but hopefully most people can leave without :mrgreen:
Saved password editor is nice (not essential, just a convenience, I installed mainly to deal with a couple of sites)
Session manager is possibly the one I now find more useful (since it allows me to restore all my tabs) but I lived a long time without
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-04-01, 12:08

Sorry for being a bit short yesterday, might sound a bit harsh.

If there is one thing you learn here is that there is hardly a thing like common or essential often there isn't even a thing like a clear majority for or against something (unless it is about trailing spaces :D) and this is particularly obvious when it comes to addons (plugins, extensions and themes). But you can also figure it out when looking at AMO which has simply the larger userbase. There are very few extensions that have really large number of users (millions), that really quickly drops already on the first few pages when you sort them by the number of users (from 21m to 2 m with the first 5, to 750k in the first 20 and to 200k within the first 100), so there is also nothing to be called common or essential for a majority, simple math (if you would consider the 21 mio a majority already the second one would be used by a minority). So whichever extensions you integrate it would always be for a minority. And if you start doing that, you would have to consider other minorities as well ending with adding all compatible extensions to the browser and who wants that? Also if you start adding extensions, you could also start to add themes.