Firefox Sync

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Rohugh

Firefox Sync

Unread post by Rohugh » 2012-05-04, 20:44

I have used XMarks to synchronize my bookmarks for a long time but with the latest Firefox updates it has stopped working with Aurora 14 although still fine with Fx 13b - and of course with Pale Moon. I realize that being an alpha version these things happen, but I was wondering about using Firefox Sync. I used it some time ago, in its early days, and found it unreliable and difficult to work with.

I am happy to continue with XMarks and not bother too much with sync to Aurora (I keep it to see what is being planned and implemented) but I guess I am asking for thoughts and possible recommendations on using Fx Sync.

megaman

Re: Firefox Sync

Unread post by megaman » 2012-05-04, 20:56

Same here, I was having problems with it, that is why I put Sync aside.
I have the same problem with Nightly and Xmarks. For bookmarks, you can just export your bookmarks to an HTML file and import them in Aurora, but modifications might need to be amended back to the browser that Xmarks accepts, in order to merge/upload, your newly-made list.

Rohugh

Unread post by Rohugh » 2012-05-04, 21:03

Yeah, when you import from an HTML file it adds to those bookmarks already there, it then means time deleting the old ones. But yeah, a temporary solution.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-04, 23:05

You can also create a backup - in json format. if you restore that, it will remove all present bookmarks (and not merge them).
I don;t know if XMarks has changed their privacy policy lately, but I personally stayed away from them because of what was done with my bookmarks etc.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Rohugh

Unread post by Rohugh » 2012-05-05, 11:34

Thanks for that Moonchild - something I didn't know. Although the sync won't be automatic at least I can easily take the up to date bookmark list from PM and transfer them. :)

Rohugh

Unread post by Rohugh » 2012-05-05, 21:20

megaman wrote: I have the same problem with Nightly and Xmarks.
As a note there is an update from Xmarks home page to change to v4.1.0 which works with Aurora. Don't know about Nightly though as I don't have it installed.

It does not work with Pale Moon - I tried and it just locked the browser and I lost all my bookmarks, reverting to v4.0.5 resolved the problem.