Pale Moon status bar Versions

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

ascii_elite

Pale Moon status bar Versions

Unread post by ascii_elite » 2012-05-04, 03:30

There have been many versions of Pale Moon status bar extension.

It is not often clear what changed between the versions of the extension.

I request information with regards to the changes made or differences between the last few versions of Pale Moon status bar, particularly, between versions:

Pale Moon status bar 2.3
Pale Moon status bar 2.4
Pale Moon status bar 2.4a
Pale Moon status bar 2.5

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon status bar Versions

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-04, 07:28

Bugfixes, compatibility changes for the specific version of Pale Moon they were shipped with, and updates of the underlying status-4-evar code. Nothing shocking.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ascii_elite

Unread post by ascii_elite » 2012-05-04, 08:16

So, should the changes be minor enough to for the different versions of the extensions to be used with different versions of Pale Moon 4+ that do not block the extension, min and max version definitions in the install.rdf files notwithstanding?

(For example, using Pale Moon status bar 2.5 in Pale Moon 6.0.2)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-04, 14:16

Um, I wouldn't count on it. The UI overlays are made specifically for the version of Pale Moon they are shipped with, and are not guaranteed to work on other versions. You are entirely on your own if you mix&match components of different versions of the browser.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

ascii_elite

Unread post by ascii_elite » 2012-05-05, 06:04

I did not think the relevant UI overlays would have changed over the last 6 version series of Firefox, but I have not been keeping up with many of the changes in the more recent versions series (plural) of Firefox or Pale Moon either.

Thanks.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-05, 09:26

Trust me, it may not have been immediately clear on the surface, but there have been constant changes and tweaks under the hood for the browser chrome. This is why there regularly have been themes and add-ons that required updating to work from v7 through v12. Especially the css has been changed around (usually to hide controls when they aren't immediately needed - resulting in a lot of "moving around" of controls in Firefox as it is shipped now), and not always making it easy to have things remain working smoothly.