[OLD Official Thread] Adblock Latitude

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: [Official Thread] Adblock Latitude

Unread post by back2themoon » 2014-11-23, 00:14

Daikun wrote:I don't give a damn about the icon; it's irrelevant. If it blocks ads, that should be all that matters, right? It still blocks ads, so it works.
No, it is very relevant to your own "perfectly fine" statement and to the extension it belongs to. It clearly doesn't work perfectly. The icon is there for a reason and provides significant functionality, including the used-by-many ability to instantly whitelist pages (to disable ad-blocking for specific sites). While you may not give a damn (and nobody blames you) you cannot claim it "works perfectly fine". Yes, ads are blocked but what if you come across a site that does not work properly with ad-blocking? Also, the fact that at any moment (with your next auto-update) a confirmed half-compatible extension may break unexpectedly and even cause browser problems is a malfunction in itself. Far from perfectly fine.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-11-23, 08:27

helloimustbegoing wrote:So I'm assuming this adblockplus folder is actually the folder used by Adblock Latitude. Is this correct? I'm also assuming that the adblockedge folder was for when I was running ABE, and that I can safely delete it. Is this also correct?
Correct on both accounts.
ABL currently (will change in the future) picks up and uses ABP settings and the ABP data folder. Because of peer pressure (to take the pseudo-statics down) ABL was released before this was converted to its own unique settings and data folder (with a migration path). Tobin has this enhancement planned for one of the upcoming updates.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Freezing Moon

Unread post by Freezing Moon » 2014-11-23, 12:15

For now,I'll stay with ABP-PM because Adblock Latitude doesn't work with
Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... on/?src=ss

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2014-11-23, 21:38

Moonchild wrote:
Correct on both accounts.
Thanks MC.

cooperb21

Unread post by cooperb21 » 2014-11-23, 21:59

Quorx

Unread post by Quorx » 2014-11-24, 15:57

Well, again:
When will the dialogues of AB Latitude be available in the languages of the world?
At the moment it is all in English, except one contextmenu-line which is added by Element Hiding Helper.

The translations do already exist: ABplus and AB Edge are multilingual since ...long ago, and AB-L after all uses the same dialogues.
So I hope for a German-speaking version 3.0.1 coming soon.

VevendoVides
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by VevendoVides » 2014-11-24, 17:20

First: Thanks for the work

Second: Everthing in ABL is in english now. And parallel to this: Going via Extras/Add-Ons to the search area i do now become only Suggestions in english Language instead of German at the Mozilla Site. With AB Pseudo Static everything was fine before.

I don't understand this because the localisation files for AB are existing. Is there any chance to integrate them? Many thanks in advance for your help.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-11-24, 22:03

Since ABL is an evolving new Add-on it has things that will continue to diverge from ABP. As such language packs would need to be updated. I don't speak any other language than English (unless you count the little bit of Klingon or Eunoia[Taelon] I know). I cannot responsibly release broken localization with it. If you would like to help deal with the localization for ABL i can re-include a particular language and you can do a pull request with updated phrasing based on the en-US one.

Otherwise, there isn't much I can do. To be blunt, you want it you will have to help.

Quorx

Unread post by Quorx » 2014-11-25, 17:38

No problem: Even I could translate new phrases in the ABL-dialogues from English to German, if I would knew how to insert into which file. It seems not so simple than editing a language.ini, but should be not too complicated.

For the moment I didn't find changed dialogues, so the existing translation tables should still match.
This would also guarantee that the items are familiar. New translations from scratch can be rather confusing (as everyone knows who tested the Palemoon language pack "Alternative German").

VevendoVides
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by VevendoVides » 2014-11-25, 20:09

I could support @Quorx in a german translation - but as he've written therefore a manual is needed.

sumiy

Unread post by sumiy » 2014-11-26, 22:41

Thank you so much Tobin, works like a charm.

I'm not a brilliant translator and I prefer using software in english rather than in my native language, but if a (Brazilian) Portuguese translator is needed I can start working on it the week after the next.

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-11-27, 03:50

Matt A Tobin wrote:Otherwise, there isn't much I can do. To be blunt, you want it you will have to help.
I have attached my Dutch (nl) localisation files for Adblock Latitude below (combined in a ZIP archive). I hope they will be included in the next release!

Moderator note: attachment removed by request

hackerman1
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by hackerman1 » 2014-11-27, 11:55

Daikun wrote: I don't give a damn about the icon; it's irrelevant. If it blocks ads, that should be all that matters, right?
It still blocks ads, so it works.
No, it doesn´t.
Not properly, there is no icon....
Even if you don´t need the icon, others might.
Some people (myself included) sometimes needs to temporarily disable / enable adblock on a page....
Administrator on Windows Server to Workstation
Moderator (and "undercover" Admin) on The Windows Club Forum

Security: EAM, Comodo Firewall and HIPS, WinPatrol+, HOSTS-file, UAC (max), Sandboxie, NoScript and ADBlock.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-11-27, 11:59

I have gotten a few contributed localizations.. I do want to check them out but it may be easier to do it as a pull request to the repo instead of sending me them directly. The repo is of course on github and linked in the opening post for this thread.

hackerman1
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by hackerman1 » 2014-11-27, 12:28

groundhog2 wrote: At last! Works great, thanks. Toolbar icon could use a bit of work though (just used to the old ABP icon I guess).
helloimustbegoing wrote: The ABL icon (in the status bar) seems a bit smaller. I can't make out the letters.
I agree.
The ABL-icon is "unreadable".
Same style (font) as ABP would be nice.
But since ABL replaces both ABP & ABE, it would be even better to also have an ABL-icon in ABE-style (white text on blue background).

Personally I just hacked the ABL-xpi file...
I replaced the ABL-icon with the ABE-icon from the ABE-xpi (copied and renamed it...).
I´m running ABL with an ABE-icon now as a temporary solution.

Suggestion: Create to new icons, one ABP-style, one ABE-style, and include both in the xpi-file.
Then let the users choose the icon they want via an option in ABL.
If that´s not possible, then make two xpi-files, one with an ABP-style icon, the other with an ABE-style icon.
Then people can select which style they want by selecting the right xpi-file when downloading.
Last edited by hackerman1 on 2014-11-27, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.
Administrator on Windows Server to Workstation
Moderator (and "undercover" Admin) on The Windows Club Forum

Security: EAM, Comodo Firewall and HIPS, WinPatrol+, HOSTS-file, UAC (max), Sandboxie, NoScript and ADBlock.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-11-27, 13:12

hackerman1 wrote: I agree.
The ABL-icon is "unreadable".
Same style (font) as ABP would be nice.
But since ABL replaces both ABP & ABE, it would be even better to also have an ABL-icon in ABE-style (white text on blue background).

[...]

Suggestion: Create to new icons, one ABP-style, one ABE-style, and include both in the xpi-file.
Then let the users choose the icon they want via an option in ABL.
If that´s not possible, then make two xpi-files, one with an ABP-style icon, the other with an ABE-style icon.
Then people can select which style they want by selecting the right xpi-file when downloading.
The brand icon for ABL is now established.. There is no objective reason to offer different icons in different styles.
However, I know the icon in 16x16 size is sub-optimal. This will be resolved in the next release.
hackerman1 wrote: Personally I just hacked the ABL-xpi file...
I replaced the ABL-icon with the ABE-icon from the ABE-xpi (and renamed it...).
I´m running ABL with an ABE-icon now as a temporary solution.
Keep in mind the moment you alter an extension you lose all rights to any support for it.

ALSO: In the future send all bug reports and feature requests and the like to the issues page of the repo linked in the opening post of this thread.

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-11-27, 13:22

Matt A Tobin wrote:I have gotten a few contributed localizations.. I do want to check them out but it may be easier to do it as a pull request to the repo instead of sending me them directly. The repo is of course on github and linked in the opening post for this thread.
Before I create a pull request, I have a question: is there a way to override chrome://adblockplus/content/ui/firstRun.html (with a localised version) in chrome.manifest, based on the value for general.useragent.locale?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-11-27, 13:25

Antonius32 wrote:
Matt A Tobin wrote:I have gotten a few contributed localizations.. I do want to check them out but it may be easier to do it as a pull request to the repo instead of sending me them directly. The repo is of course on github and linked in the opening post for this thread.
Before I do so, I have a question: is there a way to override chrome://adblockplus/content/ui/firstRun.html (with a localised version) in chrome.manifest, based on the value for general.useragent.locale?
When I temporally rewrote firstrun i hardcoded the text. I want to eventually get rid of firstrun because I am not into marketing. So don't be concerned with that.

To be honest the localizable strings needs cleaned up badly. Which is why I haven't given it much attention yet. It was more important to get the thing tested and working. As well as providing some transitional information on the first run page. Not to mention ABP and ABE's reactions to the Pseudo-Statics moved up release so while functional a lot of the polish that needs done like the 16x16 icon and the now unused strings was not completed.

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-11-27, 13:29

Alright, then I will simply leave out my localised version of firstRun.html.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-11-27, 13:39

Antonius32 wrote:Alright, then I will simply leave out my localised version of firstRun.html.
You really may want to wait until I have cleaned up unused strings and wait till it is closer to the next release.. There is some work i can do before then. I am sure I could reuse SOME of the previous localizations and then you can modify those where needed to match whatever en-US has. This would be a much better option and alot less work.

Just give me some time. Also open up an issue on the repo for this. My original intention of this thread was for releases and very brief Q and A not some 6 page list of complaints.