[OLD Official Thread] Adblock Latitude

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: [Official Thread] Adblock Latitude

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-12-03, 12:04

pm_fun wrote:
Moonchild wrote:You're complaining about 1MB of memory for an ad blocker? :wtf:
yes, because use old pc with low ram :(
Even on an old PC with low ram, saving 500 KB of memory means nothing. If it does for you, then I hope you never visit a website with graphics, because each decoded image will likely use more ;P
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

pm_fun

Unread post by pm_fun » 2014-12-03, 12:27

I try just to maximum reduce memory consumption and resources in order to feel the difference between an Firefox and Palemoon. Otherwise, i can just use Firefox or another browser without optimization. Isn't it? ;)

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2014-12-03, 12:47

Lunix wrote:with only EasyList and a handful of custom blocks.
There is no "only" with respect to EasyList, that one is insanely large, at the moment it contains about 50k rules (depending on localization), for many users 90+ % are entirely useless. Which is more or less by design, cause the purpose of these lists is to filter each and every ad you could come across and the large memory consumption is the prize you have to pay. I have been using EasyList for more than a year and ended up with about 1.5k rules being used at least a few times. Now I am only using these 1.5 k rules and still have a pretty ad-free browsing experience, only new stuff needs to be added manually which happens about once or twice per month.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2014-12-03, 16:09

SvenG wrote:
Lunix wrote:with only EasyList and a handful of custom blocks.
There is no "only" with respect to EasyList, that one is insanely large, at the moment it contains about 50k rules (depending on localization), for many users 90+ % are entirely useless.
Instead of EasyList, you might want to try Peter Lowe's filter list from yoyo.org. It has only about 3300 rules. You should find the install link in ABL's list of additional filters. I also use "Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon 0.9.2", to filter really annoying pop-ups from just two additional websites, on which sites Peter Lowe's list and custom rules no longer work. The addon's "Default action for sites not listed" is set to let Adblock Plus handle them. However, "Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon 0.9.2" works fine for blacklisted websites, whether or not ABP is also installed.

cooperb21

Unread post by cooperb21 » 2014-12-04, 20:39

I use Easylist, Easyprivacy, Fanboy's Social Blocking List, Malware Domains, Adblock Warning Removal List.

I dont find it slow's anything down. Gives me alot more privacy and faster browsing speed's. Just makes the web alot better less crap and useless things in the way.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2014-12-07, 00:28

A question: I've set a website as disabled (ads on). However, I'd like to block a single element and created a (tested working) rule with Element Hiding Helper. Problem is that the "allow all on x website" exception overrides the hide single element rule so it's either all or nothing. Any suggestions? TIA.
pm_fun wrote:I try just to maximum reduce memory consumption and resources in order to feel the difference between an Firefox and Palemoon. Otherwise, i can just use Firefox or another browser without optimization. Isn't it? ;)
Memory consumption (when not excessive) is a good thing and makes your PC work better and faster. If you want free, unused RAM, why buy it then? The 1MB you are talking about is of course too small, random and irrelevant to causing any problems (or improvements/optimizations).

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2014-12-07, 09:55

back2themoon wrote:A question: I've set a website as disabled (ads on). However, I'd like to block a single element and created a (tested working) rule with Element Hiding Helper. Problem is that the "allow all on x website" exception overrides the hide single element rule so it's either all or nothing. Any suggestions? TIA.
Such cases are difficult cause it is, actually, not adblocks job to do such stuff. If you want to block single elements on a website, you can use a bit of CSS and Stylish.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2014-12-08, 16:32

Having an issue similar to the (solved) Dropbox one. After a browser restart the website displays fine but after a refresh the problem is back (ABL not yet loaded?). I'm posting here because the issue is not present in FF/ABP (with the same blocklists) and it also goes away in PM with ABL disabled.
Attachments
Solid.jpg

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-12-08, 20:34

back2themoon wrote:Having an issue similar to the (solved) Dropbox one. After a browser restart the website displays fine but after a refresh the problem is back (ABL not yet loaded?). I'm posting here because the issue is not present in FF/ABP (with the same blocklists) and it also goes away in PM with ABL disabled.
Open an issue in the github repo with the site address and what filtersets you are using. All error reports, enhancements, and support requests are to be directed to the repo issue system.

superA

Unread post by superA » 2014-12-09, 08:41

May i ask,if the Pseudo-Static versions of ABP-ABE still work?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-12-09, 08:45

superA wrote:May i ask,if the Pseudo-Static versions of ABP-ABE still work?

If you still have them they will but do note ABE is a dead end AND ABP will be offered the update to ABL when that mechinism is enabled due to using the ABP Pseudo-Static identifier otherwise it is just as dead as ABE

It is strongly recommended you switch to Adblock Latitude

superA

Unread post by superA » 2014-12-09, 08:52

Thanks,but does that means that the original versions of ABE-ABP (from AMO) are also in dead end?(although the missing icon)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-12-09, 09:16

superA wrote:Thanks,but does that means that the original versions of ABE-ABP (from AMO) are also in dead end?(although the missing icon)
For Pale Moon the essentually already are as the developers both have WONTFIX'd the possibility of Pale Moon support.. but i was talking about the modified temporary versions that are no longer available

11ryanc

Unread post by 11ryanc » 2014-12-11, 00:57

So far so good with this extension. Great to see a bloat free adblocker that doesn't hardcode what it thinks is acceptable or not. So really this is more of an Adblock Edge fork in terms of functionality.
My question though, are there any plans ahead to further diverge this from ABP/ABE? Or will it remain as is, identical in feature set?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-12-11, 01:32

11ryanc wrote:So far so good with this extension. Great to see a bloat free adblocker that doesn't hardcode what it thinks is acceptable or not. So really this is more of an Adblock Edge fork in terms of functionality.
My question though, are there any plans ahead to further diverge this from ABP/ABE? Or will it remain as is, identical in feature set?
As stated elsewhere if not in this thread:

In the short term some usability fixes (including a much sharper 16x16 button icon) and revise the First Run page with some better information (or get rid of it) as well as fixes from ABP where appropriate.

Long term plans are to add a better migration of prefs not only for previous ABP but also ABE users to ABL's own prefs (right now it just uses ABP's as if it WAS still ABP)
Integration/Provide functionality from the two helper extensions directly in ABL.
Improve the UI and make it more our own (without loss of features or usability).

Stuff like that.

walker17x

Unread post by walker17x » 2014-12-15, 07:01

It will be very cool if you put the adblock latitude icon on the navigation bar instead of the status bar

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-12-15, 07:26

walker17x wrote:It will be very cool if you put the adblock latitude icon on the navigation bar instead of the status bar
The default location is preferred by most users, since we actually have a status bar ;)

You can change the location by right-clicking the status bar, selecting "Customize" and dragging the ABL icon to your nav toolbar where you want.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Torrentula81

Unread post by Torrentula81 » 2014-12-17, 09:18

Glad to have adblock back in my toolbar when I found out needed this version. One request if I may is can you pleas let us remove the left click menu entry on an image name adblock latitude block image... It is messing with my ocd here, lol. I'm using an addon called menu wizard that shows it as lock, can't remove.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-12-18, 20:29

If i had a clue what you were talking about i'd consider it

Torrentula81

Unread post by Torrentula81 » 2014-12-21, 04:44

if you right click on an image like your forum avatar the last entry in the context menu is adlock latituse block this image. Menu wizafrd addon lets us remove context enties but it has a lock symbol for this one. I can remove enries from other addons like noscript or downthemall but not this one.