How to completely disable compatibility check

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

AbrahamLinksys

How to completely disable compatibility check

Unread post by AbrahamLinksys » 2014-11-05, 21:10

Hi, I'm trying to install Policeman 0.8. It worked fine in version 24.9 so it should work in 25.x. I want to force install it to see if it works, but I can't.

Here's what I've tried so far:
- Editing the minimum version in "install.rdf" in the .xpi
- Overriding the "general.useragent.override" and "general.useragent.override.addons.mozilla.org" to version 32
- Changing "extensions.lastPlatformVersion", "extensions.lastAppVersion", and "extensions.check-compatibility.app-version" to version 32.0.2
- Setting "extensions.checkCompatibility.25.0" to false

After all of this, I can install the addon, but I still get the message that it's incompatible with 25.0.2. How can I force disable check compatibility?

EDIT: Turns out setting the mininum version in the .xpi to 24.x doesn't work, it has to be 24.0.

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: How to completely disable compatibility check

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2014-11-06, 00:35

:cool: -bruce /* somdcomputerguy.com */
'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Zitrus

Unread post by Zitrus » 2014-11-26, 02:27

AbrahamLinksys wrote:... How can I force disable check compatibility?

EDIT: Turns out setting the mininum version in the .xpi to 24.x doesn't work, it has to be 24.0.
For Pale Moon I use an old but good and still perfectly working firefox add-on to disable add-on compatibility check:
"Disable Add-on Compatibility Checks" (In the add-on manager it's named "checkCompatibilty" after install). :idea:
Add-on URL: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/checkcompatibility/ - (be careful with disabling the compatibility check!)

And "24.x" cannot work, it has to be "24.*"

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-11-26, 22:53

Disabling add-on compatibility checking is strongly discouraged!

If you are force-installing extensions that are marked incompatible (I assume updated for changes in later versions of Firefox) then you are likely going to break your browser functionality. Instead, you should check in that case if there is an older version of the extension that is marked compatible with Pale Moon's extension compat version (24.9) since that it the extension compatibility level pale Moon maintains for Firefox extensions.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite