WIKIWAND do not run on the last palemoon version

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

mikele1959
Fanatic
Fanatic

WIKIWAND do not run on the last palemoon version

Unread post by mikele1959 » 2014-09-01, 22:01

Can you fix it please ?

Wikiwand do not run with your last 24.7 version palemoon

Supernova

Re: WIKIWAND do not run on the last palemoon version

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-09-01, 22:45

May you describe your issue more precisely ?
Give a link to the website ('k we can search but better you give it directly) and say what doesn't work exactly.

Still : -did it run correctly with 24.6 ? i.e. ; did the problem appeared with the update, or a bunch of time after you updated ? In the latter case, the problem lies probably in the website design.
-does it run correctly if you disable your addons (in the help menu (maybe have you a "?" for it) you have a choice to do that). If so, then it may be one of your addons which is the cause. Try to find which and disable it for that website.

Merci.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2014-09-01, 22:46

You need to contact the creator(s) of Wikiwand and ask them to fix it.

buggy

Unread post by buggy » 2014-09-02, 04:41

Using PM 24.7.1 x64 portable. If you are talking about the site http://www.wikiwand.com/ on my side it works fine, except the button (javascript) redirecting to the add-on, don't know why... Also this site is the perfect example of a site which does not run with Canvasblocker activated. If you are talking about the add-on, my old experience said to me that the Old Wikipedia works fine, so you must wait after other members sorry.

mikele1959
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mikele1959 » 2014-09-02, 04:50

whats wrong ? the site is wikiwand.com and so easy to find it..
anyway..this add on can't be installed on palemoon 24.7, the message is "incompatible with palemoon 24.7.1"
is it easy to understand and there is nothing to do with some other add ons...
I dont know if that run with 24.6, in my opinion this dont

@buggy : I dont speak about the wikiwand web site but about the wikiwand add on...

Supernova wrote:May you describe your issue more precisely ?
Give a link to the website ('k we can search but better you give it directly) and say what doesn't work exactly.

Still : -did it run correctly with 24.6 ? i.e. ; did the problem appeared with the update, or a bunch of time after you updated ? In the latter case, the problem lies probably in the website design.
-does it run correctly if you disable your addons (in the help menu (maybe have you a "?" for it) you have a choice to do that). If so, then it may be one of your addons which is the cause. Try to find which and disable it for that website.

Merci.

buggy

Unread post by buggy » 2014-09-02, 05:03

[bold text] @mikele1959: Sorry but for several reasons and principally because the name of this add-on is "WikiWand: Wikipedia Modernized" it was absolutely not evident. Another reason is this is not to a browser's developer to fix an add-on as you asked.[bold text]

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-09-02, 05:54

mikele1959 wrote:whats wrong ? the site is wikiwand.com and so easy to find it..
[...]
@buggy : I dont speak about the wikiwand web site but about the wikiwand add on...
Easy to find, uh ? :P

That said, I should warn you that you shouldn't use their addon. It SPIES you.

Taken from their privacy policy :
WikiWand respects your right to privacy.
Uh ok, let's see what really follow that bullshit.
A little bit later :
We also collect information when you make use of the Site, including your browsing history.
In addition, we may provide any information to third parties, so long as we have removed any information that identifies any specific individual or user, such as a name, address or contact information.
[Understand EVERY information except these 3 things]

That said, looking on addons.mozilla ; their addon is marked compatible only with FF29+ (australis). It may work with earlier version but it is very unlikely everything will be correct.

buggy

Unread post by buggy » 2014-09-02, 05:54

... And for many many reasons to be frank i do not like this add-on at all, don't fix it.

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-09-02, 06:02

We agree with each other buggy ^^

@mikele1959 > That said, you may want to look at styles for wikipedia on userstyles.org https://userstyles.org/styles/browse/wikipedia : you have dozens and dozens, and you would probably find one you'll like (you may also use two in some cases). You probably won't have the big picture taken from pinterest, but otherwise everything or near should be available.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-09-02, 06:05

buggy wrote:... And for many many reasons to be frank i do not like this add-on at all, don't fix it.
Your personal like or dislike of a specific add-on is irrelevant. If a user asks for support, we should try and help. If you personally don't want to help because of your personal dislike of an add-on, then simply ignore the topic, please.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

buggy

Unread post by buggy » 2014-09-02, 06:25

Moonchild wrote:
buggy wrote:... And for many many reasons to be frank i do not like this add-on at all, don't fix it.
Your personal like or dislike of a specific add-on is irrelevant. If a user asks for support, we should try and help. If you personally don't want to help because of your personal dislike of an add-on, then simply ignore the topic, please.
Making money like that like we tried to explain from the hard work of Wikipedia's members like me is something i wanted to say. But ok.

Serbia

Unread post by Serbia » 2014-09-02, 06:55

"Your personal like or dislike of a specific add-on is irrelevant. If a user asks for support, we should try and help. If you personally don't want to help because of your personal dislike of an add-on, then simply ignore the topic, please."

True. :thumbup:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-09-02, 08:10

buggy wrote:Making money like that like we tried to explain from the hard work of Wikipedia's members like me is something i wanted to say. But ok.
You can of course still make critical notes about the add-on, its background and general desire to have it or not in the form of a recommendation, but simply stating "I don't like it so don't fix it" is really just not good. I hope the difference is clear.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

buggy

Unread post by buggy » 2014-09-02, 08:14

Of course its clear no problem. I have contacted Wikipedia, if i get no response about that i'll stop working on it.

Parsifal

Unread post by Parsifal » 2014-09-02, 09:19

What I notice is that on AMO's WikiWand: Wikipedia Modernized page it is mentioned Not available for Firefox 24.7, therefor it is not available for Pale Moon 24.7.1

mikele1959
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mikele1959 » 2014-09-02, 13:08

Thank you supernova, stylish seem to be good :thumbup:
If anyone can help to debug wikiwand add-on for palemoon, I'm interested :geek:
Supernova wrote:We agree with each other buggy ^^

@mikele1959 > That said, you may want to look at styles for wikipedia on userstyles.org https://userstyles.org/styles/browse/wikipedia : you have dozens and dozens, and you would probably find one you'll like (you may also use two in some cases). You probably won't have the big picture taken from pinterest, but otherwise everything or near should be available.

Parsifal

Unread post by Parsifal » 2014-09-02, 14:10

mikele1959 wrote:If anyone can help to debug wikiwand add-on for palemoon, I'm interested :geek:
AMO's WikiWand: Wikipedia Modernized page mentions that the add-on is not available for Firefox 24.7, therefor it is not available for Pale Moon 24.7.1
It's not a problem of debugging, it's only that WikiWand: Wikipedia Modernized add-on requires Firefox 29 and later and will not run on Firefox 24/Pale Moon 24.x.

It is sometimes possible to modify an add-ons install.rdf file to change the min/max browser version required but since Firefox 29 most add-ons built from that version on will simply not run because Firefox 29's whole architecture is different. It may also not run due to the simple fact an add-on's toolbar button is handled. Not even worth trying. Fortunately most worthy well-known add-ons when upgraded do not incorporate in their code Firefox 29' fantasies exclusively of previous versions.

Nevertheless, I just noted that there is a previous version of WikiWand add-on available that runs on Firefox 4.0b1 and later :WikiWand: Wikipedia Modernized version 2.0 - That will run with Pale Moon 24.x

mikele1959
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mikele1959 » 2014-09-02, 21:39

Thank you Parsifal !

mikele1959
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mikele1959 » 2014-09-04, 19:28

Reply from Wikiwand team :

Hi there.

Thanks for reaching out!
Unfortunately, we don't have many Palemoon users, and we have limited resources, so we're unable to develop an add-on for Palemoon at the moment.
Sorry for that!

Regards,
Lior Grossman | Co-Founder & CEO, WikiWand